I have a bunch of weird things like a kalimba wired to a delay, with a mini jack out, etc that would be fun to get into the rack but don’t want to have a dedicated module to do this.

Was thinking of something like an ART preamp. Is this a terrible idea? What do I need to watch out for/avoid? Thanks!

https://www.americanmusical.com/art-tube-mp-studio-microphone-preamp/p/ART-TMPSTU?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&adpos=&scid=scplpART+TMPSTU&sc_intid=ART+TMPSTU&gclid=CjwKCAiAvOeQBhBkEiwAxutUVAhUj5qbdI91DhENRpTwuDSSdq8a4WY4FTXIT-G1KRzEFmC8vmK_JRoCMi4QAvD_BwE

the pre-amp might help - but you will still be very quiet within a modular system

you may be able to get away with going straight in to the modular and skipping the pre-amp

you'll still need something to get up to modular level - an instrument interface or a vca that actually amplifies like veils for example

you'll probably also want an envelope follower, gate extractor and possibly a pitch follower

some instrument interfaces will include one or more of these - sonicsmith e1 has all of them and more, i believe

envelope and pitch following are available in the disting in the same algo - so available at the same time - definitely on mk4 and ex, not sure about earlier versions

gate extractor is basic logic - high when envelope is above a certain voltage...

nb pitch extraction is often glitchy - and very glitchy when trying to process anything other than clean single notes

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Ok, thanks Jim. Sounds like I might as well get a module to handle it instead. I can always screw it in/out if I only need it sporadically etc!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I recently picked up a Blue Lantern Booster Array which has 8 separate preamps in 10hp for under $100. I’m using it with the individual outs of a drum machine but it’s great with other line level gear too. Works perfectly. Highly recommended. I think it might be a limited run, but there were a few still available on Reverb last time I checked.
Have fun!

You get 4 channels of Pre-amp in this https://www.modulargrid.net/e/making-sound-machines-tausend-db

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Thanks for the module recos but I think in my case I don't anticipate bringing in signals that much – famous last words in modular, haha. I don't play other instruments, don't have loads of guitars laying around etc. The Sonicsmith looks really good, with all of the extra things it can do.

So with that in mind, I'm thinking about getting a very small and deep (so maybe custom) case for the ES-9 and something like the Sonicsmith - to free up a little HP in the RackBrute and take a bit of load off its power consumption (that ES-9 is a beast). I live in Brooklyn so space is an issue and it all has to fit on my desk!

don't waste money on small cases - yet - just get another 6u rackbrute - or better yet sell the rackbrute and buy a couple of mantis (when you can)

No space for that, I'm afraid. I already have two 6Us attached together. I literally have about 10 inches of desk between the Brutes and the PC monitor!

Just for reference, this is the Rack. The two Fansynths don't exist but I'm holding space for them (or something like them, Mutant Modular told me something better is on the way) because this thing gets hot and I'd like my modules to last well into retirement...! I use the rack for generative stuff.

ModularGrid Rack

bigger desk?

Bigger house!

or start hanging cases on the wall!

Ceiling. Definitely the ceiling...and a pile of carriage bolts.

More seriously, if you're going to have an audio input, you'll also want it to output envelope signals. Have a look at Doepfer's A-119, which is pretty much the standard for these. Not only do you get the necessary preamp, you also get an envelope follower AND a comparator. The comparator sends a gate when the input level exceeds a certain threshold, and the envelope follower does pretty much what it sounds like: it extracts level information from the inputted signal and then converts the amplitude variations as a control voltage...which, if you run the audio signal through a VCF and then use the envelope follower to control the VCF's cutoff, giving you your original sound but with this synced-up filter sweep imposed on it.

Ceiling. Definitely the ceiling...and a pile of carriage bolts.

or floor - I currently have 3 cases on my living room floor and a video monitor on the coffee table!!!

More seriously, if you're going to have an audio input, you'll also want it to output envelope signals. Have a look at Doepfer's A-119, which is pretty much the standard for these. Not only do you get the necessary preamp, you also get an envelope follower AND a comparator. The comparator sends a gate when the input level exceeds a certain threshold, and the envelope follower does pretty much what it sounds like: it extracts level information from the inputted signal and then converts the amplitude variations as a control voltage...which, if you run the audio signal through a VCF and then use the envelope follower to control the VCF's cutoff, giving you your original sound but with this synced-up filter sweep imposed on it.
-- Lugia

whilst I completely agree with the need for both envelope follower and comparator for external inputs - it might be useful to point out that there's a 1/2 decent envelope/pich follower algo in disting - and kinks will do the comparator - so if they're not needed all the time - maybe these will suffice...