The main idea stemmed from wanting a melodic sequencer where I can choose certain steps and modulate them over time. Say, a 3 note sequence where I use a cv input on the lowest note to make a changing bass voice, whilst the two upper voices stay constant. That's where I thought Stages would be great, I can choose the sequence length, and for each stage I have the option for cv input.

The Steppy I thought was a good fit to trigger both the Stages and Zadar, even being able to keep some sort of arrangement going with the 64 sequence length.

I feel with the Zadar being able to oscillate at audible rates (even though I read the pitch tracking isn't great) I could still feed it into the MCO for some interesting tones.

I think you're on the right track. Stages seems like a large bite to chew for your first rack, but if you really want cv control over each step then it might be your best option in a small case.

Zadar seems overkill. I would imagine you will always have at least one or two unused outputs. Also, if you plan on using it at audio rates to modulate mco, then why not go with something designed to run at audio rates? Twin waves seems like a better option. The lfo modes are great and vco modes have a built in quantizer. Now that I think about it, just ditch MCO all together for twin waves, and then you could lose the pico quant as well. The quantizer on twin waves doesn't respond to trigs, rather it just continuously confines your sequence to a scale, so if you went that route maybe you would want to add a 2hp sample+hold to be able to achieve sustain. Or maybe you could just use stages in such a way where the s+h isn't necessary.

Hope this helps.

Wow the Twin Waves looks incredible! Definitely seems like i'll have much more fun with that than with the MCO + quantizer, thanks for the suggestion! Switching those out.

For Zadar, I thought it was a good fit because I'd be missing an envelope generator, lfo, or both if I use all of Stages for sequencing and s+h. If I need a noise source I could use a noise shape lfo as well. Although I guess Zadar, Maths and Stages all overlap a bit too much.

this user has left ModularGrid

Get a larger case. You also want more utility modules.

Check the height of the Palette cause the 2hp modules are tall.

If you are going to be tweaking your filter I'd get something like C4RBON with actual pots and not trimmers. Also, more versatile.

Micro Ornament and Crime would be great in a small setup like this, worth a look.

Check the height of the Palette cause the 2hp modules are tall.

If you are going to be tweaking your filter I'd get something like C4RBON with actual pots and not trimmers. Also, more versatile.

Micro Ornament and Crime would be great in a small setup like this, worth a look.

-- obscuremachines

Good call! The palette is more shallow at either end so I have to move the fx and clock further in.

The C4RBN sounds amazing! Definitely gonna add that. Got the space for it as well with Twin Waves replacing MCO + the quantizer as CurioKid recommended.

The uO_C also looks super powerful, although there's something about the Zadar design I really like..

I think this is where I'm at for now:

Get a larger case. You also want more utility modules.
-- sacguy71

Would you recommend substituting the Maths for more specified utility? I thought with having stages covering s+h, and the two 1U units at the top, Maths would be a great wildcard for all the other utility I'd need.

I'm quite fond of the palette, unless it's impossible, I think I want to try come up with a nice system within the size restriction.

I just sold a Palette 62, and I loved it. Great case. And the limitation drove me to squeeze every drop out of modules.

I’m pretty sure the depth is the same throughout. I have a 2hp play I wish I could test the size for you.

Never had a Zadar, but it does indeed seem like a great module.

The only thing I’m curious about is the clock. Are you planning on modulating it? If not I’d just run off an LFO off your other modules, and I would expand to the 6hp FX Aid as it has more CV and also you CV its sample rate. I run both the 4hp and 6hp versions and the 4hp gets used as set and forget verb cause the knobs are pretty tight. 6hp much more tweakable. Can’t go wrong with either though super sick modules. For either you will have to use a power cable without the clip on the top to make it fit which you can just pull off if needed.

Hope that helps!

I’m pretty sure the depth is the same throughout. I have a 2hp play I wish I could test the size for you.

"Module Depth: 45.5mm (37.4mm at each 1HP edge)". This is what their website mentions, I'll write an email to double check.

If not I’d just run off an LFO off your other modules, and I would expand to the 6hp FX Aid as it has more CV and also you CV its sample rate.

-- obscuremachines

Love this idea! Never occurred to me to use an lfo, definitely switching to the 6hp fx then. Thank you so much for your help and effort!