I’m currently building my first set up and would like to know your thoughts on it. I’d like to keep it somewhat simple for now trying to make do without VCA’s, EG’s and other utility modules for now until I get a second case - I’ll be triggering the sound source modules by themselves for now. I added 3 Befaco OUT modules at the end of my set up so I can track them in my DAW or a mixer later - is this a good idea or is there a better option? Does everything here look playable and functional for a basic techno set up?

Grateful for your time.

alt text

rack wart advert wastes space

semi takes up too much space and costs too much to house in eurorack when it already has it's own case

black sequencer is overkill to some extent unless this is just a stepping stone to a much larger set up - ie at least 1 more voice

Pams is a bit redundant with black sequencer

no vcas? not enough support modules (utilities) in general... definitely not enough mixing...

unable to tell what the 3 modules between the dual fx and the dnipro dot are - please link to your actual public rack (copy and paste the url) not just a jpg - jpgs suck - actual links help us help you!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Erica Synths Link probably a better (well, cheaper and less HP) option than 3 X Outs. You could potentially also lose the A-138 in favour of a VCA that can serve as a mixer (MI Veils, ALM Tangle Quartet, Intellijel Quad VCA). While Pam’s and the Black Sequencer will provide a reasonable amount of modulation sources, Plaits and BIA both really shine with lots of modulation so an LFO (Ochd, Batumi) or small envelope or function generator (ALM Pip Slope, Joranalogue Contour 1) I reckon would really add to your enjoyment of those sound sources. If you’re bringing everything into a DAW you’ll get much better effects with VSTs than with the Dual FX so would benefit more from a small analogue filter (Bastl Ikarie, MI Ripples) shaping your sounds in a way that’s much harder to replicate in software.

As with everything, we all have different preferences so ultimately go with whatever sings to you :)

T> rack wart advert wastes space

semi takes up too much space and costs too much to house in eurorack when it already has it's own case

black sequencer is overkill to some extent unless this is just a stepping stone to a much larger set up - ie at least 1 more voice

Pams is a bit redundant with black sequencer

no vcas? not enough support modules (utilities) in general... definitely not enough mixing...

unable to tell what the 3 modules between the dual fx and the dnipro dot are - please link to your actual public rack (copy and paste the url) not just a jpg - jpgs suck - actual links help us help you!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by rack wart advert? Are you referring to the rack brute power unit?

The DFAM does take space in the rack - I know, but I do prefer it in there for now as I want to consolidate everything into a small portable set up to take with me for live gigs, etc. I’d like to just travel with my rack and a drum machine.

I already own the Black Sequencer so it’s the one i’m currently using. Yes, this is a stepping stone to a bigger set up which I’ll gradually build over time. I do love how you can randomly make sequences with just 2 buttons - that’s one of the reasons I bought it (will come in handy for a live set).

I also already own the Pams and was thinking about using it as an LFO or perhaps clock the Dot and the Black Sequencer and then route Dot rhythms using the trigger outs into the Advance Clock on the DFAM to advance the steps on the built in sequencer.

No VCA’s because I’m using the internal VCA on the DFAM, Plaits, and BIA. I will definitely add in VCA’s and some envelopes in the future though, that’s for sure! I’m still learning about the different modules I need.

The 3 modules between Dual FX and Dot are Befaco Out V3 as I mentioned so I can track the 3 sound sources (DFAM, Plaits, BIA) or others separately into my DAW or mixer. The Doepfer mixer is there if I want to mix two or more sound sources and patch that into the Dual FX. It’s also a CV mixer too so I can make use of that later with my second rack.

Again, this is just a small set up for now which will be expanded into a larger set up later with more utility modules, etc. It’s just a stepping stone. Hopefully everything is playable as it is, though, right?

Modules I currently own:
1 Befaco Out V3
1 Erica Synths Black Sequencer
1 ALM Pam’s New Workout
1 Mutable Plaits
1 Erica Synths Dual FX
1 Moog DFAM
1 Doepfer Mult
1 Doepfer A-138 CV and Audio Mixer

Here is a link to my rack. Hopefully it works.

First Rack

this user has left ModularGrid

My thoughts:

1. take DFAM out of the rack it wastes way too much precious space
  2. get a larger rack like 9u at the minimum to give room to expand
  3. Add more utilities! Things like VCAs, CV mixer, matrix mixer, logic, envelopes, LFOs for modulation and so forth.
  4. Try free VCV rack software to build test racks for free and learn.
  5. Get the excellent book Patch & Tweak it is great book and reference for modular.

Erica Synths Link probably a better (well, cheaper and less HP) option than 3 X Outs. You could potentially also lose the A-138 in favour of a VCA that can serve as a mixer (MI Veils, ALM Tangle Quartet, Intellijel Quad VCA). While Pam’s and the Black Sequencer will provide a reasonable amount of modulation sources, Plaits and BIA both really shine with lots of modulation so an LFO (Ochd, Batumi) or small envelope or function generator (ALM Pip Slope, Joranalogue Contour 1) I reckon would really add to your enjoyment of those sound sources. If you’re bringing everything into a DAW you’ll get much better effects with VSTs than with the Dual FX so would benefit more from a small analogue filter (Bastl Ikarie, MI Ripples) shaping your sounds in a way that’s much harder to replicate in software.

As with everything, we all have different preferences so ultimately go with whatever sings to you :)
-- wont

Thanks so much for this! I’ll definitely check all your recommendations out. I’ll most likely lose the the A-138 soon, and you’re right I could get a VCA and use it as a mixer as well - that makes perfect sense. These are all great options you mentioned - there’s just so many to choose from that have better bang for buck. I’m looking for modules with more than one function.

Between the Ochd and Batumi - which one do you prefer? I was also thinking about adding the Vermona FourMulator later to a second rack as it has sample and hold. The Kermit is another option as well, but any thoughts on that? Patch and Tweak book recommended it for the built in VCA. For now, do you think the LFO on PAM’s will suffice for modulating Plaits and BIA?

I’ll check the filters you mentioned. I was thinking of adding a Joranalogue Filter 8. Any thoughts on that? It self oscillates so I can use it as another sound source if I want. I would need VCA’s and Envelopes to make use of that feature right?

I just did another post on here replying to JimHowell1970 about how i’ll likely patch each module. Would be grateful to know what you think as well.

My thoughts:

1. take DFAM out of the rack it wastes way too much precious space
  2. get a larger rack like 9u at the minimum to give room to expand
  3. Add more utilities! Things like VCAs, CV mixer, matrix mixer, logic, envelopes, LFOs for modulation and so forth.
  4. Try free VCV rack software to build test racks for free and learn.
  5. Get the excellent book Patch & Tweak it is great book and reference for modular.
    -- sacguy71

Thank you for your advice. I’ve replied to JimHowell1970 on how I would use each module and why I prefer to keep it in despite it wasting rack space. As I mentioned, I’d like to consolidate everything to a smaller portable rack so I can use for live gigs. This rack and a drum machine is the goal to just keep it simple for now before I start my second more serious rack in a bigger case.

Utilities are a must I know, but as you can see the DFAM has it’s own VCA/filter/envelopes and the Plaits/BIA also have their own built in VCA which is fine for me for now.

I do own patch and tweak and have been practicing on VCV. ;) Great advice!

T> rack wart advert wastes space

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by rack wart advert? Are you referring to the rack brute power unit?

yes - bloody awful hp stealing, wastes of space

The DFAM does take space in the rack - I know, but I do prefer it in there for now as I want to consolidate everything into a small portable set up to take with me for live gigs, etc. I’d like to just travel with my rack and a drum machine.

I already own the Black Sequencer so it’s the one i’m currently using. Yes, this is a stepping stone to a bigger set up which I’ll gradually build over time. I do love how you can randomly make sequences with just 2 buttons - that’s one of the reasons I bought it (will come in handy for a live set).

yes I have one too and I really like it...

I also already own the Pams and was thinking about using it as an LFO or perhaps clock the Dot and the Black Sequencer and then route Dot rhythms using the trigger outs into the Advance Clock on the DFAM to advance the steps on the built in sequencer.

Pams is also a great module you can use it for all these things at once!!

No VCA’s because I’m using the internal VCA on the DFAM, Plaits, and BIA. I will definitely add in VCA’s and some envelopes in the future though, that’s for sure! I’m still learning about the different modules I need.

don't worry it's a constant learning process.... but more vcas are useful - they're good for not just shaping notes, but controlling levels and modulation

The 3 modules between Dual FX and Dot are Befaco Out V3 as I mentioned so I can track the 3 sound sources (DFAM, Plaits, BIA) or others separately into my DAW or mixer. The Doepfer mixer is there if I want to mix two or more sound sources and patch that into the Dual FX. It’s also a CV mixer too so I can make use of that later with my second rack.

I find matrix mixers are better for cv mixing - 4 cvs in, 4 different cvs out...

unless you experience clipping when going into your DAW or mixer then I really wouldn't bother with these - and I'd try attenuators first! cheaper/smaller

Again, this is just a small set up for now which will be expanded into a larger set up later with more utility modules, etc. It’s just a stepping stone. Hopefully everything is playable as it is, though, right?

Modules I currently own:
1 Befaco Out V3
1 Erica Synths Black Sequencer
1 ALM Pam’s New Workout
1 Mutable Plaits
1 Erica Synths Dual FX
1 Moog DFAM
1 Doepfer Mult
1 Doepfer A-138 CV and Audio Mixer

Here is a link to my rack. Hopefully it works.

First Rack

-- Avesta

link works, thanks

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Between the Ochd and Batumi - which one do you prefer? I was also thinking about adding the Vermona FourMulator later to a second rack as it has sample and hold. The Kermit is another option as well, but any thoughts on that? Patch and Tweak book recommended it for the built in VCA. For now, do you think the LFO on PAM’s will suffice for modulating Plaits and BIA?
-- Avesta

Personally I prefer Batumi as it is clockable and really easy to operate, but Ochd is hard to beat for the price and HP. I've never used the FourMulator or Kermit, but both also look excellent. Pam's will definitely suffice for modulating Plaits and BIA (and would have been my first recommendation if you didn't already have it). The only problem with Pam's is that it is so useful you find yourself using up all the eight outputs quicker than you might expect. A micro Ornament & Crime might also be worth considering as it offers a huge array of options in a similarly small form factor.

I’ll check the filters you mentioned. I was thinking of adding a Joranalogue Filter 8. Any thoughts on that? It self oscillates so I can use it as another sound source if I want. I would need VCA’s and Envelopes to make use of that feature right?
-- Avesta

Filter 8 is a really great all-rounder. Not only does it give you eight different filter modes (I particularly love the band boost+notch output) and great self-oscillation but it can also run in LFO mode giving you 8 phased LFOs and has a dedicated ping trigger for percussive sounds (and modulation). Definitely worth getting, but as you noted it would need a VCA and envelope generator to get most out of it as a voice. The thing to keep in mind about VCAs and envelopes though is that they're not just useful for shaping sound. A good VCA will also allow you to mix and modulate your modulation. A looping envelope will give you an LFO that you can change the shape of so becomes a great source of modulation in itself. A huge part of the fun is finding these things out as you experiment with them yourself.

Delete, start over. But this time...

1) NO DFAM. Put it back in its case, which you paid for, and on its own power, which you also paid for. Otherwise...well, let's do the math.

A 6U Rackbrute is $359, which gives you 171 hp to work with. 359/171=2.10 (ish). This is the per-hp cost of housing something in this case.

So...DFAM is 60 hp. 60 x 2.10=126. This is how much to add to the DFAM's price when it's installed like it is now.

So, let's do that. A DFAM right now at Sweetwater streets for $699. 699 + 126 = 825...which I'm betting you wouldn't have paid for it. But even so, incurring your own cost increases for "convenience" isn't necessarily a good idea.

2) The Befaco OUTs. If you're trying to output individual tracks to a DAW, these aren't the right thing to use. If you want to do this, there are actually two ways to do so...

A level shifter. Have a look at the Ladik P-520. Dirt-simple: synth-level signal goes in, line-level comes out x 4. And once you have the line level, you can send that directly to a typical interface. There's other similar devices on here, but the Ladik is both cheap AF and it's very basic, with no need to pay attention to it. Or...

An Expert Sleepers "soundcard" module that can interface directly to the DAW via USB. And they have a few, so it would be worthwhile to look at what they've got and decide which one fits the bill. They also have software for this, but if you have Ableton 11, you have their "CV Tools" suite that can handle the same purpose. Or just don't use ANY modules, and run your synth-level signals directly to a DC-coupled audio interface; I use a MOTU 828mkii for this exact purpose.

3) Space. Or rather, the lack of it. If you're not using this with a Minibrute 2/2S, then go bigger. Just stepping up to a Mantis at 2 x 104 hp would give you another 40 hp to mess around with, for example. And if you add the utility modules that everyone's talking about here, you WILL need that extra space (and no DFAM, etc). Or, if the central point is portability, then you could do much better with a 3-row or 4-row from Case From Lake, who're doing some inexpensive yet killer portable Eurorack cabs with ample power, which is very important. See https://www.casefromlake.com/ ...and yes, if you want tile rows, extra length, etc etc etc, they can do that, and it'll STILL be reasonable. And although I still don't advise putting the DFAM in a cab like that, if you felt you HAD TO do this for portability, that sort of cab will give you the space to do that AND have a proper module complement in the same case.