Just created some new space (30hp) in my rack and am looking for some suggestions on what to fill it with. The type of music I make is more rhythmic electronic and some techno / electro.
Would be great to get some input.

ModularGrid Rack

post the url of your public rack and help us help you!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

A few things:

1. Get a larger case and thank me later. I recommend at least 9u size or even better a 12u case.
  2. More utility modules would help: sequential switch, cv matrix mixer, logic
  3. more modulation sources

Selling smaller cases when you expand is a pain. I know because I have been there.

Actually, the best way to add space would be to put that Pitt SV-1 back into its own case and use it OUTboard. Right now, it's stealing space from modules that don't have power and housing. To me, that should be Job #1 here...THEN start figuring out modules for the modular system once the space is opened back up.

Thanks for the replies. I intend to buy another case and move the sv1-b there and add other modules, but for now I just want to fill that space with utilities and modulation. Be much appreciated if you guys could throw in some suggestions.

this user has left ModularGrid

I agree with Lugia to keep the SV-1b out of a case. I have a Moog DFAM and Make Noise 0-coast and while could technically put them in a case, they would take up way too much precious space.

Here are a few ideas/suggestions for modulation and utilities

Modulation:

1/ Batumi Quad LFO from Xaoc Devices with Poti expander - the gold standard for modulation and fun easy to use
2/Intellijel Quadrax with expander- crazy possibly options for lots of modulation, fun and easy to use
3/ Acid Rain Technology Maestro- six channels of modulation and ability to create your very own LFO chains and save for recall.
Great for live use, fun and wacky modulation potential.
4/ Mutable Instruments Marbles- does so many things and more

I have these and can attest to how fun and powerful they are for creating modulation.

Utilities:

1/WMD/SSF Toolbox- small module with tons of features useful in complex patches
2/Mutable Instruments Kinks and Links: tons of features in small module but sadly Emilie of Mutable Instruments decided to no longer produce any new modules so get them while available.
3/ Doepfer Quad Sequential switch- affordable for modular and works well
4/ Qubit Mixology- a really great four channel eurorack mixer with mutes, pans, sends and looks great and fun to use.

Hope this helps!

I agree with Lugia to keep the SV-1b out of a case. I have a Moog DFAM and Make Noise 0-coast and while could technically put them in a case, they would take up way too much precious space.

Here are a few ideas/suggestions for modulation and utilities

Modulation:

1/ Batumi Quad LFO from Xaoc Devices with Poti expander - the gold standard for modulation and fun easy to use
2/Intellijel Quadrax with expander- crazy possibly options for lots of modulation, fun and easy to use
3/ Acid Rain Technology Maestro- six channels of modulation and ability to create your very own LFO chains and save for recall.
Great for live use, fun and wacky modulation potential.
4/ Mutable Instruments Marbles- does so many things and more

I have these and can attest to how fun and powerful they are for creating modulation.

Utilities:

1/WMD/SSF Toolbox- small module with tons of features useful in complex patches
2/Mutable Instruments Kinks and Links: tons of features in small module but sadly Emilie of Mutable Instruments decided to no longer produce any new modules so get them while available.
3/ Doepfer Quad Sequential switch- affordable for modular and works well
4/ Qubit Mixology- a really great four channel eurorack mixer with mutes, pans, sends and looks great and fun to use.

Hope this helps!
-- sacguy71

Some really good suggestions there and food for thought. Thanks for taking time to do this !

Banged on this one for a hot minute. A few of the modules in the initial build above got dropped, but I think I've succeeded in building this out to a point where everything in it should play really well together.
ModularGrid Rack
OK...this is divided between your audio path in the upper row and the modulation/sequencing in the lower row. I added several things to the bottom row that allows you to SERIOUSLY mess with timing signals going to the RYK-185, also. So...

TOP: I put in a Tool Box, since it's got the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of little utility bits. Then I doubled the Plaits because 2 VCOs = always better than one. That'll allow for detunings, FM, and so on. Wavefolder is next, then I opted to combine the VCAs and LPGs into a single classic module: the Buchla 292t. This way, you can use some of the 292t's LPGs directly on the VCO outs, and you can also use the VCAs in there for amplitude control and mixing...or any combination that seems right for the moment. 860 VCF, then Beads for granular processing craziness. The FX Aid XL is after that, then I opted to go with a Tesseract Tex-Mix setup with four mono inputs and the master section. This gives you VCAs on each input for level/mixing control, two FX busses, dual stereo FX returns and a headphone preamp. At the end is one of Happy Nerding's new version of their Isolator, with transformer isolation for the stereo outs and another headphone preamp. This will help keep ground loops, DC offsets, and other crud off of the outputs.

BOTTOM: Starts with the Pam's, of course. Then there's the "timing mangling" section: an Adventure Audio step counter, Eowave Swing for four delayed clock outs, Intellijel's OR for combining timing pulses, a Frequency Central Logic Bomb for your Boolean gates, and a derivator to generate gates based on CV movement directions. This should be able to cause the RYK-185 to go into very useful conniption fits instead of JUST doing sequencing. Then modulation: Maths, the Triplett and an After Later dual Veils clone VCA pair for the "manipulation core", then the envelopes are all done by Zadar, which also has room in here for its Nin expander.

I wanted to make sure that you could wring out as many clock possibilities as was feasible in a small cab like this, given that there's that RYK-185 sequencer in there. Ultimately, this turned out to be a really straightforward fill-out...and in this configuration, this build should kick major ass!

Hi Lugia, sorry it's taken me a few days to reply and thank you for this.
The modules you have included to mess with the sequencer are really interesting. Particularly Ladik, which I'm going to buy quite a few modules from. One question, the sequential count module is pretty much impossible to get hold of and there are no videos etc. Can you explain exactly what it does and maybe suggest an alternative ?

Thanks again