Anybody using a Elka Mk88 in Eurorack ? It Seems to have many possibilities with poly aftertuch and midi control. Considering using mine with an Es9 to get those cv’s going from midi. Any tips appreciated ! Can anyone help me with the ”service manual” ? The ”user manual” I have.

maybe this: https://picclick.co.uk/Elka-mk-88-Service-Manual-Schematic-Diagrams-schaltplan-schema-144312053111.html

reading the manual for the es9 - I don't think you can use it as a midi to cv module, midi only appears to be used for controlling the internal mixer etc - I think you'd want the fh-2 to do what you want!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thx Jim ! There is the service manual ! Mmm I’m getting the Midi in expansion for Es9, and it should be able to recieve Midi, send it to the DAW, which can send CV out through ES9 ? But Maybe there’s latency then ? I’ll look into it more closer. I wonder how the Midi signals from the Elka will be shown in the ES9 ? The Elka has 2 midi out, and is poly with aftertuch - and you can split the keybord in 6 parts - so there’s possibility for assigning funtions to different modules in my rack. Not really MPE+, but on it’s way. I could bot find a good alternative in any new keyboards. The Haken Continium is out of my reach, and not really a keyboard.

Thx Jim ! There is the service manual !

NP - 30 seconds with google!!!

Mmm I’m getting the Midi in expansion for Es9, and it should be able to recieve Midi, send it to the DAW, which can send CV out through ES9 ? But Maybe there’s latency then ?

Still not convinced, you can configure the midi to be midi through though - there's an easy way to find out though - create a post in the Expert Sleepers sub-forum on modwiggler - Os responds pretty quickly!

I'd expect quite a bit of latency if it does work! I think you'd be much better off with the fh-2 as it is designed for what you want it to do!

The Haken Continium is out of my reach, and not really a keyboard.
-- CAJJO

no kidding - eyewateringly expensive... but really cool - my daughter and I played with one a few years ago in a dealer - and then ran away once we saw the price tag!!!

some of the smaller ME keyboards are 'reasonably' priced though...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

ME keyboards ?

The MK88 has 2 midi out - one could go to daw and one to fh-2…

The Continiums are even more expensive now since Haken moved on to the ”slim”version..

But the Osmose from Expressive e is comming, but I guess it to be at least another year before you can actually by it. It has poly aftertuch and vibrato, and is shipped with the Haken Eaganmatrix synth, same as Continium - seems really nice in the videos.

I just got the Haken eurorack module. Setting up the Eaganmatrix with the poly aftertuch on the MK88 will be a learning experinence wich I’m looking forward to explore. I hope it works out well 😅

sorry, meant MPE...

iirc you should be able to go straight into the Haken module with midi, no??

I was just searching for MPE controllers, wasn't there a tiny one a few years back? single touch controller, not keys... the small Keith McMillan one looks pretty cool for 200 bucks...

Yeah the Keith M - but it has ”flat” keys so to speak - no pianolike keys - and it’s more like a $1000 the ones they sell now…Not many mpe offerings on the market. And, strangely, very few keyboards with poly aftertuch. There’s the Hydrasynth, but I have no interest in paying for that synth to get the keyboard.

Yes the Haken takes both Midi and Usb I think.

I’m not shure how the Midi signals from the MK88 will show up to be mapped. The MK88 is on it’s way, I’ll know shortly. The midi settings on it seems very verstile. With one or two foot pedals you would get very many control possibilities. My expectations are high - we’ll se 🤗

Yeah the Keith M - but it has ”flat” keys so to speak

looks like there's a $200 little red thing... seems to be the cheapest MPE controller out at the moment (unless it's been discontinued - says out of stock on site)

Yes the Haken takes both Midi and Usb I think.

I’m not shure how the Midi signals from the MK88 will show up to be mapped. The MK88 is on it’s way, I’ll know shortly. The midi settings on it seems very verstile. With one or two foot pedals you would get very many control possibilities. My expectations are high - we’ll se 🤗
-- CAJJO

good luck with that... have fun exploring your new keyboard and the taken module... I look forward to seeing a video posted!!!

MPE capable keyboards? Yeah...I have and use a CME XKey25, which has the "typewriter key-like" keys. I found that it took a bit of getting used-to regarding the action (or lack thereof), but after a month or two, I got very used to it. The nice thing about the CMEs as opposed to the McMillan controllers is that the CMEs retain a typical black and white keyboard with spacing, etc that we tend to deal with when using most any other MIDI keyboard. The only flaw I've seen is that every once in a while, there'll be a VSTi that needs some prodding to recognize the XKey...but that's minor, fixable in seconds.

The nicest thing, though, is that it fits very nicely in front of my Ableton-labelled computer keyboard. Score one for ergonomics!

As for the Continuum...y'know, I've been tempted once or twice to ask Lippold why it's so spendy, but I haven't. And if I really wanted one of those, though, I could probably dip over to his place (a whopping 20 minute walk from here) and pick it up firsthand...but you'll note that I haven't done either. It's still too academic-composition-oriented for me to risk dropping several thou on an experiment in controllers.

I’ve seen most youtube videos on the continium. While being a wonderfull genious piece of art, I’m find myself not being that much into the music I’m hearing. There’s most often a slight off pitch tuch wich I do not really fancy. I bet it’s really hard to play, maybe lika a violin ? Havent heard much ambient music with it though, most is almost classical type of music, where it’s played like a real instrument.

The Osmose on the other hand, sounds fantastic with the Eaganmatrix in the videos. To bad it got delayed by Covid.

I missed that CME mpe board. It would probably have fit my desk bestter as well 😅 what are you using the MPE with ? This MK88 key will be huuuge. But it did not cost a fortune, and if I can get it going, Im sure it will be great !