Hey you Moduleheads,

I am mainly a pianist with a strong addiction to experimental music.
In my head there is this strange idea of playing a piano concert, where I modulate the original sound of the piano into some electronic devices that will respond and interact with my playing. Further I wanted the option to add some drone sounds or sequenced patterns, and finally some drums, can be triggered with my piano playing or a predefined beats.
So this is the basic setup I almost finished, so I am just a day or so before testing this beast.

The piano sound will go into the Ears and then splitted clean into the mixer and into the Clouds. The Mother will provide the clock for the trigger module that can play the drum sounds, trigger the Peaks or the Clouds. The Mother Sequencer and VCO can provide a basic drone sound or basslines. Or it can be used to control the Clouds.
There are the basic scenarios I tried to cover.

I am open for comments. What can I do better? Am I missing something? Are there options I am currently not thinking about? Is the answer always 42?

Best,
TheMM

Hi. I see two basic strategies: 1. processing of piano sound, 2. deriving cv from your playing the piano to control modules.
The Clouds sure is a great choice for both. One feature I would definitely want in there is a pitch to voltage converter. Plus more more ways to get cv out your piano. Maybe from the pedal?
Curious what you come up with in the way of processed piano!

1. processing of piano sound, 2. deriving cv from your playing the piano to control modules.

Yes, these are the two current options I have in mind.

One feature I would definitely want in there is a pitch to voltage converter.

Looks promising. Are there other pitch to voltage converters that are not so exotic? The RS-35 seems not to be easily available...

Plus more more ways to get cv out your piano. Maybe from the pedal?

Good idea, anyway I need to be portable to other instruments, as I do not want to bring my own grand to the gig. ;-)

Curious what you come up with in the way of processed piano!

I'll post sound snippets maybe this weekend. Promised...

Just ordered the ADDAC301 Floor Control to control some things with my feel while playing the piano with my hands. The other way around might also possible, although I lack a little expression when playing the piano with my feet... :-)

Okay guys, here is a video snippet of my very early tests of my setup. Of course endless options to explore, but you can see the basic concept. Enjoy!

PS: Can someone let me know how to record video and external audio on an iPhone at the same time?

Sounds promising! How about some piezos on the piano to get some signals besides audio? Like vibrations from the body and stuff like that... maybe an envelope follower...

you can buy an audio interface for the iphone or (what i did) solder yourself a "breakout"-cable with a TRRS jack. Guess you can buy such a cable somewhere...

Sounds promising! How about some piezos on the piano to get some signals besides audio? Like vibrations from the body and stuff like that... maybe an envelope follower...

Piezo is a nice idea! Envelope follower could work, too - I'll check that out. Thanks!

you can buy an audio interface for the iphone or (what i did) solder yourself a "breakout"-cable with a TRRS jack. Guess you can buy such a cable somewhere...

Just found an iPhone compatible audio interface in my closet. This will work I hope... ;-)

Hey guys, as promised here is the first example that maybe shows a hint of what I had in mind. My current setup is a Steinway Grand built 1907, a condenser mic and then a modular setup mainly built around a 4ms DLD, an Erbe Verb and Clouds. Comments are more than welcome...