Hey there.

Thanks for taking a look at my plan for Bob Swami's Ambient Rack. ModularGrid Rack.

As I am still new to eurorack modular synthesis, I'm pretty sure I've missed some essentials. Like an on button, for instance. And I may have duplicated things, like mixers. Who knows what else I've screwed up.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm hoping this setup gives me the tools to bring in interesting sounds, do interesting things to them, and play them over and over until I finally figure out how to relax. Cheers.

Best,

bob swami

at first glance: it looks like you have a lot of redundancy where you don't need it. for example, i think you can get most of the functionality of the qu-bit nebulae with the clouds+radio music combo. you also probably don't need that many sequencers to start out.

do you really only have one filter? i would also suggest at least one or two more VCFs, an additional VCA, and an attenuator or attenuverter module (i know everything here sounds really boring, but it's the glue that holds your system together). VCA wise i would suggest getting something with a linear/exp switch, like the synthrotek VCA or the intellijel µVCA II.

you also seem to have a lack of modulation sources, like envelope generators and LFOs - i know that Peaks can do both of these but they're common enough that you probably want at least one dedicated module. consider a make noise maths, which can do A/D envelopes, LFOs, and a host of other neat tricks.

i like the look of that quantizer.

i believe the jones o'tool is not currently being manufactured, so you may have some difficulty acquiring one.

my overall advice would be to start small, figure out where the gaps are in what you want to do, and expand as necessary (e.g., one sound source, one filter, one sequencer, one modulation source, plus utility modules). if you go out and buy all of this at once you're going to find it really limiting because there are definitely going to be gaps (some of which are going to be completely dependent on the style you're trying to achieve).

Hi igowen - thanks for this. I will spin up another take on this and repost. My biggest concern is making sure a) I'm covering the basics and b) I have enough creative tools that do interesting things so that the basics don't end up being too...basic.

if you start your journey with braids+clouds as your sound source(s) you will be far from basic :) i just got a clouds and already it's one of my favorite modules.

New thread to discuss updates: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/697