I'm from Switzerland and new to Eurorack. Like many others I want to go the Ambient/Drone Road :-)

What are your thoughts about my first picks? I've already bought a used Clouds two weeks ago and got my TipTop Mantis Case today :-)

Is there something i'm missing which I absolutely need (besides the filter)? Or is there something I don't really need in my Rack?

Do i need a Mixer like the Intellijel Mixup? Should I buy a dedicated ADSR instead of the Contour which only does AR?

I really would appreciate your help and advice.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view

You need to link to your specific rack URL. You've given a generic link that shows each user their own current rack.

Ups.

This should work

ModularGrid Rack

Hi Quantum_Eraser,

You got yourself a nice rack planned, especially the 4ms - Spherical Wavetable Navigator and Make Noise - Morphagene modules I feel are very interesting, so once you got them, after a while please let me know your experiences with these modules, I might be tempted to get one or both of them myself :-)

Talking about the Morphagene, I know it's not the same as the Mutable Instruments - Marbles but do you really need both of them? I see some overlap there, why not trying the Morphagene on its own first, saves you some rack space and some money too? Or instead of the Marbles (perhaps in combination with the Clouds) get yourself an ACL - Sinfonion instead? I know bloody expensive but that Sinfonion might be giving you just a "bit" more at the end of the day.

I am missing at least one filter. You got yourself a lot of nice modules here but I am missing a few basic components, though most of it covered as far as I can see by the already planned modules, I would at least add one classic filter. Also a small/simple mixer might be come in handy to add.

Good luck with the planning and please let me know how it went, kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi GarfieldModular

Thanks for your input. But I'm a bit confused now. You compare Marbles with the Morphagene. Aren't these completely different Modules in their functionality? If not I must have totally misunderstood what Marbles does.

I know I need a filter. I couldn't decide yet. There are so many options. And maybe a second oscillator like the STO?

Do you have a recommendation for the mixer?

Another question. In the Muffwiggler Forums they told me that I should go Stereo since I have picked many Modules with Stereo functionality. But....is it really worth to go Stereo in Eurorack? Especially as a beginner?

Hi Quantum,

Marbles and Morphagene are two completely different modules. I don't really see much overlap there.

Instead of the Contour, have you considered a Zadar? The contour seems like a two stage envelope generator with just attack and decay with some looping.

The Batumi needs a Poti. Look it up and you'll probably want it if you get the Batumi.

As for filters... I like the Morgasmatron due to its versatility. I have one. As far as a general filter module... this...

If you're wanting to sample external signals into the Morphagene then I'd upgrade the Intellijel Outs to the unit with inputs as well.

Deeper question: how do you intend to control your rack? This is where a sequencer or MIDI to CV comes in.

The Maths has two channels dedicated to attenuverting (channels 2 and 3). If you need to control the levels of some CV, then you can do it with this... though a dedicated attenuverter set would be more practical.

Hello Ronin. Thanks four your reply.

I also thought about replacing the Contour. The Zadar look very nice, but look like a lot of menu diving and quite complicated for a beginner. Maybe a Intellijel Dual ADSR could do the work?

The Morgasmatron sound very nice, but it takes a lot of HP. Damn....I think I already run out of HP :-)

I don't want to process ext. Audio into the Morphagene, so i don't need the Input. If I would use an external mixer (like the Yamaha MG Series) could i go directly from the VCA to the external mixer?

About controlling my rack. I was looking into the Varigate4+, or maybe a Korg SQ1 as an external solution, or a Beatstep or Keystep? But I would prefer doing it all in the rack. Isn't that the fun of Eurorack? :-)

What do you think about the Varigate? ....or a Pam's new Workout? In my first build of my rack I had the Pam's in it. But over Muffwiggler someone told me that the Pam's does not suit for an Ambient/Drone Rack.

Concerning my question in the upper post about going stereo. Do you think it's worth it?

Do I really need the MI Links if I have the Intellijel Buff Mult?

What would you recommend as attenuverter?

Is there something else I'm missing in my rack which I absolutely need?

Thank you so much for your help!! Greetings from sunny Switzerland :-)

I don't think the Zadar is very deep as far as menu diving. I trust DivKid reviews. The Zadar is on my list of "want." Check here.

If the Morgasmatron is too big then try a Joranalogue Filter 8. It's much smaller but you only get one filter (but with 8 different flavors of simultaneously available filters).

Your results may vary when attenuating the outputs of Eurorack into your line level input. You can use a VCA, but you might have some concerns about noise. Best always to check.

There are pros and cons with all sequencer setups. Externals are nice if you want to save HP space and you have a lot of hardware synths that you want to address by DIN MIDI. I have no experience with the varigate. My sequencing options are Expert Sleeper FH2 (to connect to DAW), 1010 Music Toolbox, Befaco Muxlicer, and a Pittsburgh Modular micro sequencer (not a fan of because of complicated button pressing to access features).

Your MI Links offers one 1:3 buffered mult in its package. Most buffered mults I have seen offer two 1:3 mults usually with a normal between the inputs so you can stack 1:6 if you'd like. Going with Links verses a simple 2HP 2x 1:3 buffered mult depends on your needs. No right or wrong... just what works for you.

Attenuverters are pretty simple and most will do the job. I like my Intellijel Quadratts for this kind of utility. But they only work in Intellijel 1U racks. I also have a Befaco Dual Attenuverter. It also comes with offset knobs that give you a lot more control of your signal. I tend to use the Befaco when I really want to explore modulation possibilities... especially if I'm going into an input that doesn't have any pots controlling the modulation input.

Stereo. Worth it? Yes... if you have modules that output in stereo. Mono isn't bad... it's just mono. Having a left and right image gives you a lot more depth. It's very worthy of consideration and should be planned for accordingly.

Hi Ronin. Thanks for your help.

I did some changes on my rack on Modulargrid over the last two days.
I ditched the Qu-Bit Countour for the Xaoc Zadar. It looks fun and I think it suit very well for Ambient Music Exploration. I added the Intellijel Triplatt, the 2HP Arp and the Pittsburgh Modular Micro Sequence. I got rid of Kinks (don't know, I think I don't really need it). I also ditched the Erica Black Hole DSP2. Instead I added the Xaoc Timisoara (I know it's not available now). And finally I added a Filter. The Intellijel Morgasmatron.

I intend to mix outside of the Rack with a Hardware Mixer (probably Behringer) with USB to connect it to my Laptop to Record my Sessions. No Sequencing or FX Plugins, just recording what comes out of the Eurorack. So i also removed the Outs Module.

So what do you think? Am I on the right way or oo I miss something crucial? Or should i get rid of something?

[url=ModularGrid Rack Rack on Modulargrid[/url]

Made an Alternative Rack with the E350 Morphing Terrarium and the Studio Electronics Quadnic

ModularGrid Rack

Mixing with an external mixer will only work well if you have a mixer that can handle the signal levels that are used within a modular synth...typically for Eurorack, that would be zero to +/- 8-10 volts. In contrast, mixers usually want to see either .775 volts (the "consumer" standard) or 1.2 volts (the "pro" standard). See here: https://www.kfs.oeaw.ac.at/manual/3.8/html/userguide/461.htm Neither of the "normal" level standards are anywhere near the much higher levels in modular synthesizer audio paths.

Since the idea here is to send the signal to the computer via USB anyway, you might find that something along the lines of the Expert Sleepers ES-8 would be better suited to this. Not only does this offer four CV/gate/audio inputs and A/D conversion, you also get eight outputs which can be CVs, gate/triggers, or audio, depending on your needs at the time. With this, and perhaps a stereo performance Eurorack mixer that offers CV control over levels, panning, AUX send/returns, etc, you would not only eliminate the need for an external mixer, you would be able to directly link your computer bidirectionally via USB for control AND audio. And also, eliminate the worry over level/impedance mismatching between an external mixer and the modular.

Hi Lugia

I've heard about the hotter signal levels of Eurorack.

So what do I have to look for when considering a external mixer. What Input Levels should it be able to handle? Would the Yamaha MG Series or Behringer QX Series be able to handle Eurorack Signal Input?

If I had enough Space in my Rack I would probably do the mixing in my Rack. But I already have limited HP left.

I wouldn't be caught dead using a Behringer mixer, frankly. As much gear as I have, exactly ZERO percent of it is Uli's. As for the recent Yamaha stuff...eh. One line that I do know can handle these sorts of levels is Allen & Heath's ZED series mixers; these were tested out some years back by a user on Muffwiggler to be able to handle in excess of 10V peak to peak at maximum preamp attenuation. Even so...I still wouldn't do this, as all of that excess voltage has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is almost always in the form of heat. And heat shortens component life.

Another strategy, instead of mixing in the modular, would be to have several channels of level step-down in a small space. Have a look at Ladik's P-520, which offers four level converters from synth to line levels. Two of these would only occupy 8 hp, cost about $60-ish, fit easily (20mm depth) in any cab, and give you eight discrete outputs that are ready for mixer inputs without having to do anything with the input trims that might compromise sound quality or component integrity.

As for the best mixer for this...if you can source a first-gen Mackie 1202 that's in excellent shape, no abuse, that would be my choice. Sound quality is excellent and very colorless, there's no cheap FX added, the input preamps can handle big voltage swings (and this is from experience!), and they're pretty close to smashproof. A lot of the new small mixers are sort of cheaply-made, I think...but this isn't.

Thats genius..... The Ladik P-520 is exactly what i was thinking of I would need for my approach. Are the Outputs 6.3mm jacks?

As for a mixer i am looking for one with built in USB Audio Interface. Don't need onboard effects since I would probably
never use them.

It doesn't have to be Behringer :-)

I use a Behringer QX1002USB mixer. It work fine for direct audio. However, I have had trouble with getting it to work as a USB audio interface (on Linux).

I use a Behringer QX1002USB mixer. It work fine for direct audio.
-- naught101

I've read different opinions over the last few days. Some say its no problem, others say that now every mixer is suited, while some people say that you should not do this. :-)

Get rid of the Lifeforms sequencer. It's crap. I own one and it's a secret-key-press nightmare and the documentation sucks.

Replace it with a micro Ornaments and Crime. You'll save two HP and get all of that functionality and MORE. The O_C is pretty easy to use. Plus it can handle quantizing, can generate envelopes OR gates along with your desired CV. Plus you can SAVE the status of the module between power cycles.

Don't forget the Poti with the Batumi. It's like $60US. But it's worth it.

When I think of working with such a tiny Display and 2 knobs it really puts me of.

I know, the O&C is nice but it just doesn't appeal to me.

About the secret-key-press Nightmare of the Pittsburgh Sequencer. I watched Review Video again and you are right. The only thing that it does to confirm that you changed a mode is the LED light up for a brief moment. The Modes are printed on the Plate. No LED here to show the mode you are in. It's a shame. It's really a nice small sequencer and has all I need.

Looks like i have to find another solution for sequencing.

In my first Rack Build I had the Varigate4+ in the Setup.

When I think of working with such a tiny Display and 2 knobs it really puts me of.

I know, the O&C is nice but it just doesn't appeal to me.

About the secret-key-press Nightmare. I watched Review Video again and you are right. The only thing that it does to confirm that you changed a mode is the LED light up for a brief moment. The Modes are printed on the Plate. No LED here to show the mode you are in.

I habe to find another solution for sequencing.

In my first Rack Build I had the Varigate4+ in the Setup.
-- Quantum_Eraser

There are two rotary encoders and two buttons. The menuing is very simple. I would definitely find some tutorial videos on O_C before you write it off. I'm definitely in the camp of "if it's too complicated its not going to be in my rack." The O_C is less frustrating to use than the Lifeforms sequencer. As the beginnings of your rack, a module like this will give you tons of options with only a sprinkle of learning-curve.

Watched another Video of the Sequins mode (or App or how it is called)

What I still don't get. How do you put in the notes for the next step? Do you really have to select the Notes with
these Numbers? It can't imagine thats the only way.

Does it not trigger the Note from the Next step and you can select the pitch by dialing the knob? (like moving
the slider on the Pittsburgh Sequencer)

I use a Behringer QX1002USB mixer. It work fine for direct audio.
-- naught101

I've read different opinions over the last few days. Some say its no problem, others say that now every mixer is suited, while some people say that you should not do this. :-)

-- Quantum_Eraser

To give you an idea of volumes, I run all my audio into a Ginko Synthese Mix, with all the knobs at about 10-11 O'clock (so 1/3?), any higher than about 12 o'clock and I get distortion (not sure if that's in the mix module, or the Behringer, I will have to check.). I run that output into channel 3 of the QX1002USB (this channel as not preamp gain control), and I have that volume at 9-10 O'clock (so, 1/4 volume?). I run the mixer outptut fader at around half for a loudish, but comfortable listening level (studio monitors and a sub in my bedroom). If I play audio from my computer at full volume through one of the other channels, I'd have that channel's volume control at about 12 o'clock.

Thats genius...The Ladik P-520 is exactly what i was thinking of I would need for my approach. Are the Outputs 6.3mm jacks?

3.5mm, but it's a simple matter to use 3.5mm to 1/4" cables between the Ladik and the mixer.

As for a mixer i am looking for one with built in USB Audio Interface. Don't need onboard effects since I would probably
never use them.

Smart move. Most onboard FX are sort of "cripply" when compared to a serious FX processor...either the quality is sub-par, or the controllability of the FX are poor, or both. My suggestion: an Allen & Heath ZED-18, which would give you plenty of inputs for your modular submix alongside a good amount for other incoming sources. This has 10 mono inputs with inserts (VERY useful for doing FX per channel via outboard processors!), four stereo ins, four AUXes, ample I/O for output and monitoring (and inserts on your stereo main out), no FX, and USB send/return. Might seem a bit big at first, but the fact is that you always want to overspec your mixer...you'll be surprised at how quickly you can go through channels when you've got everything hooked up!

Watched another Video of the Sequins mode (or App or how it is called)

What I still don't get. How do you put in the notes for the next step? Do you really have to select the Notes with
these Numbers? It can't imagine thats the only way.

Does it not trigger the Note from the Next step and you can select the pitch by dialing the knob? (like moving
the slider on the Pittsburgh Sequencer)
-- Quantum_Eraser

Did you view this video? In Eurorack, you're not generally selecting the specific notes you're wanting. An oscillator is generally set at a pitch and the sequencer adjusts that pitch in relation to where the oscillator is set. It's all relative... that's why you hear about people "tuning their oscillators" before they get started. Everything is dependent on where your oscillator is tuned as to what actual note (the frequency of the oscillator) will produce. With a lot of sequencers, you can pick a scale that the sequencer will quantize to. Chromatic, of course, is the easiest. With the O_C sequencer you adjust the value of each step. It denotes the octave and pitch (12 notes) above the base note. If you're coming from a DAW where everything is laid out easy-peasy it can take a little getting used to.

Yeah, I know that the sequencers adjusts that pitch in relation to where the oscillator is set. But when I first got into Eurorack
it took some time to figure it out :-)

Still don't like the tiny screen tough.

The Qu-Bit Octone could also be an option for me.

Still don't like the tiny screen tough.

-- Quantum_Eraser

Well, it is a multi-function module. In your first rack, I would strongly suggest having one.... even if you don't like the tiny screen. :)

Sometimes its worth it to compromise.

I’d suggest grabbing an Arturia Keystep or Beatstep Pro for sequencing and save your Space for more modulation sources. For about $120 you get a solid keyboard controller with a built in arpeggiator, sequencer and you can switch MIDI channels while the sequencer keeps playing and play live over another channel. Great performance tool. You could also drop in a Mutant Brain and use any MIDI device for control like a Novation Circuit, MPC or Digtakt. The Mutant Brain is completely customizable giving you plenty of cv/gate/trigger and even clock division options for output. Using an external sequencer is going to result in far more control over compositions at a much lower cost. If you want a more randomized or more generative composition, try a shift register and quantizer combo along with a keystep to enter root notes that the system can then transpose or riff off of.

As far as stereo goes, I think it’s worth it if you can find the right mixer module that fits your system without taking up a lot of space. The intellijel Mixup is a great little stereo mixer with plenty of inputs and stereo output in 6 hp.

Also, I tell this to everyone: get an Expert Sleepers Disting Mk 4. It’s an amazing module in a very small package. It’s probably the best wav player/sampler/Swiss army knife for the price and keeps getting better and better every update(which is very regularly).

Thanks for the input folks.

I will look into the Allen&Heath Mixers.

So here's a shameless Crosspost from the MW Forum :-)

I already told that I ditched the Dual ADSR and added the Zadar. But
the Zadar can't do a normal ADSR. But even if it could tho ADSR I think it would be a waste to use it just for that.

So i only have the Maths for Envelopes. Would it be a good Idea to add something like the Intellijel Quadra? I know it only does AD and AHR or do I need a "standard" ADSR?

Update on my Rackbuild.

For the last days I was looking for a Option to Sequence in a Small HP Format. And I have to admit Ronin was Right.
The O&C running the Sequins App seems to be the best Option :-) Also the Copier Machine look interesting.

I also was able to sell my Clouds and get a used Monsoon Clouds. I know the µBurst Version is even smaller, but I think 12HP for the Monsoon is nice. It saves me 6HP and I like the Sliders :-)

I also added the Disting MK4 the 2HP Pluck and Erica Dual FX.

What do yo think?

I was also looking into the Chords V2. When I discovered Modular Synths the Chords was (besides the Clouds) the module that I really liked. Maybe replacing the E350 with the Chords V2?

ModularGrid Rack

Bought my first Modules today.

My dealer had some of them in Stock:

Chords V2
ALM Tangle Quartet
2HP Pluck
Xaoc Batumi
Maths
Morphagene
MI Marbles

Also the Ladik arrived today.

So I still need a small mixer in my Rack to mix the Soundsources together. Would the Bastl ABC be good?

Unfortunately I couldn't put as much time in fiddling around as intentioned.

But there's one thing that ist really holding me back at the moment with my
learning progress.

Could someone explain me that whole gate thing?

Here's my current setup

Unfortunately I couldn't put as much time in fiddling around as intentioned.

But there's one thing that ist really holding me back at the moment with my
learning progress.

Could someone explain me that whole gate thing?

Here's my current setup

ModularGrid Rack

I let the Chord drone in the Background wit some slow Waveform Modulation from the Batumi. I use an ASR from Maths going into the VCA.

Now let's say after 1 Minute i want to change the Pitch of the Chord an after a while change it again. I want the previous chord slowly fade out with a long decay before the new Chord starts.

How can I realise that with my setup?