Hey All,

I'm beginning my adventure into Eurorack proper and just bought a Rackbrute with Maths, Links, Kinks, Disting, and a hex VCA. I also have a Neutron, 0-Coast, Korg SQ-1, a Microfreak, and a Zoom MS-70CDR pedal but am planning on selling the Neutron eventually for the Minibrute 2s. I'm mostly into noisey type ambient stuff and sometimes throw percussion on to give it some momentum (but don't need that in the rack). I've posted how I plan to complete my rack eventually and would appreciate and advice you guys can provide on module pairings, oversights, and errors I have in planning this rack. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide. Hope you guys have a great rest of the year.

xo,
omegasnk

ModularGrid Rack

How would you like us to evaluate your rack? The current state of the picture or functionality without the semi-modular synths you've mentioned (Neutron, MiniBrute, 0-Coast)?

If you're dependent on your semi-modulars then anything in the rack is a bonus. As a self-contained rack, there are a lot of holes or things I'd be concerned about if it was given to me to use without the semi-modulars.

If your plan is to ditch the Brute, then having a Rack-Brute case may not be the best option for your modules. You've already bought it so we're stuck with it... unless you really like the format. Again... where should we be aiming?

Hey Ronin,

Thanks for the reply. I plan on keeping the Minibrute 2s and 0-Coast as a core part of this setup. My original reason for getting the Rackbrute was to further sophisticate my desktop modulation and I quickly found myself planning out the rest of the rack. The appeal of the Rackbrute in specific was how easily it marries with the Minibrute 2s.

I was also flirting with the 4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator over some of the effects modules. Any thoughts on that?

I don't have experience with the 4MS... but I'm willing to evaluate one! :)

A module you might want to try is the Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4. It's under $200US. I hate the interface. But it's full of different routines for reverbs, compression, resonators, etc. It's great for trying out different effects and figuring out if you'd like a dedicated module. Your Erica DSP will have some overlap but not too much as the Erica concentrates on just effects and not processing.

Another benefit you have is the ES E9. You can use your DAW as a virtual module with audio and CV flowing between. While not convenient, you can explore different effects and decide if you'd like something in hardware.

If you're keeping the MiniBrute, then you have access to additional traditional envelopes, filters, etc., I'd hang on to the Neutron for a while as it can serve as a utility box of modules until you're ready to retire it.

The biggest lack I see are mixers and attenuators/attenuverters. Most people overlook them. You're missing out on the power of modular if you can't submix signals or attenuate/invert them... both audio and CV. If you have an SQ-1, then the Voltage Block might be a bit redundant vs. adding some more utility modules. You have to make that call, though. Be aware that the Ornaments and crime does have some basic sequencing abilities in it that will cover a portion of what you get out of the Voltage Block.

Also... order your modules in stages as you are meaning to fill this rack. As you get to know each of your new modules it might influence where you go in finishing off your rack... priorities will change. So don't be in a rush to fill this thing.

Ronin, thanks so much. Yes, I think I'll start with the ES-9 and slowly figure out things from there. This will also save my wallet as I expand the rack. Thanks for the input on the Voltage Block and the attenuators/mixers. I was hoping the hex VCA and Maths would be enough, but I'll look into dropping the Block and adding some more attenuverters and mixers, maybe still have room for Mimetic Digitalis too. I promise if I ever hit the lottery, I'll make sure you find that 'evaluation' 4MS SMR. Cheers.

The Maths will be enough to get you started with attenuators. Channel 2 and 3 are dedicated to this. But you may find you'd want something like a Befaco Attenuverter. It also includes an offset dial. The offset allows you to center your CV around a point other than zero. Just imagine taking an LFO that goes from -5 to +5v and then attenuating it to -2 to +2V. Then using the offset knob to change the range from +1 to +5.

Wow, that's awesome. That would make signal processing so much easier. I found an ALM version with an offset that takes up 4hp vs the Befaco 5. I'm starting to think planning out a rack is just as fun as actually playing. Thanks again, Ronin.

Wow, that's awesome. That would make signal processing so much easier. I found an ALM version with an offset that takes up 4hp vs the Befaco 5. I'm starting to think planning out a rack is just as fun as actually playing. Thanks again, Ronin.
-- omegasnk

Learning, learning, learning. The more you know how this stuff works... and works differently than "traditional" synths, the better you will be at planning out a rack that works for you. But it's really tough that in order to gain experience, you have to plan a rack out before you really have a handle on the environment.

IMHO, your first case should be big (at least 208HP total) and you should put just enough gear in it to get going. Then as you master what you've got, start adding modules that excite you. But you have to have a "basic" system first so you can explore in different directions. Again just my experience doing this.