Is there something you wish every Eurorack module had? Think reverse power protection, comprehensive documentation, or user-updatable firmware. Vote on 18 community-driven features and I’ll share the results here and on other Eurorack forums:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7ORQ9NkKcqdwYdEoW24UH8LcS_AC1E6FhOFeQe0OIY5zg-w/viewform

Some notes:
- The survey closes on Sunday, September 27th at 11:59pm Eastern time (ET).
- Results will be shared publicly and raw data is available on request (eurorack.survey@gmail.com).
- I am a Eurorack user doing this survey for fun, and am not affiliated with any business or other private entity.

this user has left ModularGrid

Built in VCA, attenuator, clock, and envelope generator would be my choice then save space on these modules.

Documentation would be a plus. Malekko comes to mind for lack of it. I have had to learn trial and error to figure out how my Malekko Richter Anti-Oscillator and Dual Borg filter operate. Fortunately, it has been a fun journey.

I'm totally with you re: Malekko! The Envelator has all this hidden stuff I'm still grappling with

Hi A_b_d,

Very interesting and good survey. I hope all manufacturers are reading all the posts here :-)

One big wish I have is that every module has either a switch to switch on/off the lights/LEDs that such module might have or even better: every module has a small potentiometer that can dim the lights/LEDs from full bright all the way till extremely dim or better to dim/switch it off completely.
I have two modules (Instruo - Tràigh and Erica Synths - Sequential Switch) that have so bright LEDs that these LEDs almost burn my eyes; just not pleasant to work with these two modules in a darker environment. Intellijel - µStep LEDs are too bright too.

Every Eurorack module should have at least a power cable that's 25 cm long or longer. When it's shorter, it becomes quite tight when mounting the module into the rack, this is especially valid for those modules (hello Mr. Doepfer, are you reading this? ;-) ) that have power cables less than 20 cm length; Doepfer modules are guilty of that. Funny or rather weird is that these Doepfer modules are difficult to mount in the lowest/flat row of those Doepfer cases A-100 LMB and A-100 LCB. Yes you read this correctly, Doepfer's own modules barely fit in those flat rows... (because the power cables are too short) bit strange to me. So for new modules, please make sure your power cable length is 25 cm or longer.

Just to satisfy the curiosity of module owners, please provide on the backside of the PCB (i.e. readable when you look at the back of the module) following data please:
- Copyright year, if possible including month (i.e. when was this module released first time, at least for this version?)
- Version number or revision number
- If the manufacturer has a testing "department" (or person who does QA testing) then please provide a test label at the back of the module when (date, year + month is good, full date is better of course) it was tested
- If the manufacturer provides serial numbers (all should do in my opinion but most don't) then please not only on the original box but also on the back of the module/PCB
- If manufacturers provide a date, please use the date format: yyyy-mm-dd and not mm-dd-yyyy (North American style) or dd-mm-yyyy (international style) because that always leads to discussions what the format exactly is, so instead use yyyy-mm-dd then all discussions are closed and not required ;-)

For each module, if not provided in the original box/packaging, at least as downloadable document (PDF) a clear and good readable user manual must be provided with clear information on where all the inputs & outputs are used for as well as clear information on the switches, buttons and potentiometers/encoders what they are used for. Some manufacturers barely provide any information... Hey I/O Instruments ;-) I hope you are reading this. I love your new modules but a good and "bit" more extensive manual would be nice! But there are other manufacturers with the same issue. If any of the manufacturers need advice or help with creating technical documentation please contact me offline, for my profession, one of my skills is technical document writer; so perhaps we can help each other here.

In the manual it would be nice for the reader if the manufacturer can provide some basic information on the used technology, for example which type of IC has been used or the type of vacuum tubes, or frequency ranges, voltage ranges or whatever is interesting to know about their module. Naturally the power consumptions for +12 V, +5 V & -12 V should be provided (i.e. those values in mA) even if one (or more) of them are not in use (just mention n/a or zero in such case), at least the user knows. It's unbelievable but there are still manufacturers around that don't provide this basic information. It goes to such extension that sometimes the values on the websites are different from those on their hardcopy manuals...

Additionally it would be nice to know who designed that particular module, i.e. providing the designer's name. Also interesting to know if the module is: pure analogue, digital or perhaps a hybrid of both? Most of the times it can be guessed but it would be just good to have it confirmed by the manufacturer and not always it can be guessed, so why let the user guess?

It's not a must but makes life easier when patching, it would be nice that if manufacturers don't agree with each other to come to a standard, which I can understand by the way, there are far too many manufacturers, that at least for the modules of one manufacturer, the manufacturer makes for their own modules at least a standard for the patch cables. Either all on top (not recommended because of gravity the cables will hang down) or all on the bottom (my preference) or all on the right or left side. Or perhaps a combination of maximum two. So the user has at least a bit of a chance to reach the knobs & switches while everything is fully patched :-)

Try to make modules chain-able there where it makes sense. I am thinking of at least chain-able mixers, sequencers, perhaps even VCAs, multiples, switches and filters.

Perhaps a good idea to start using the bus board again for some basic "information" along the casing, like: 1V/oct, gate, trigger and whatever that could be useful and more "channels" of each so not just one 1V/oct, one gate, one trigger, but more per type (at least for the digital modules this must be possible). Doepfer does this a little bit (without my "channel" suggestion as far as I know) but I don't see it much mentioned in other user manuals, a bit pity because it can reduce in some cases the amount of cables. A control LED in such case would be good: so the user can see if the signal comes from (green) or to (red) the bus board. Just some ideas ;-)

Well that's it for the moment that just pops to my mind. If there is anything more I will let you know.

May I ask the meaning behind this, are you developing new modules? Or representing a manufacturer, or...? Would be nice to know your purpose. Anyway, it's interesting material, hopefully manufacturers are not only reading this but trying to take as much as possible on board for the design of their future modules! :-)

Thank you very much and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads