Hello all,

Here is my first 6U system build in a rackbrute and I would like to have feedback about it and how can I finish it.
I am currently trying to make industrial techno and I also own a Jomox Alpha Base as a drum machine.
I was thinking to add a bionic lester MKIII.

ModularGrid Rack

Lots of interesting modules here @toinouvltn. My personal suggestion would be to get a powered case, remove the RackBrute and the Quad Buffer, and add a Maths. It'll open up a lot of the other modules here, and its enveloping and LFOs will be a nice contrast to the Zadar and the Batumi (and I'll edit to add that that's not even mentioning all its other functions, attenuator and mixer especially coming to mind).

That said, I somehow missed that there's no VCAs here, so you'll need to fit those in as well.

Buy a mantis

it's about the same price as the rackbrute - but doesn't have the power module and is 104hp

that way everything you have here + maths + a matrix mixer + kinks + a quad cascading vca will fit in case number 1

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Yup the Mantis case is good value. I plan to get one after I fill up my next Doepfer case :-)
More VCAs and a sequential switch would help as well.

I would fill the empty space with a quad vca (intellijel or MI) and a disting mk4.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Indeed, there is a lack of VCA and utilities and I feel a bit tight in this case for the futur (wasn't expected to dive so fast into modular), so Mantis would be a great option. I will look for a used rack.
For Maths, I didn't think it was a priority due to the Batumi/Zadar/Samara trio. Will it make a huge difference to combine all of these ?
Here is the way I think it could be great to go (still think a multimode filter could be a good addition but don't know if the Happy Nerding 3 VCA will be enough or if I preferably go to something like the Intellijel Quad VCA) :

ModularGrid Rack

@toinouvltn the Maths does a crap-ton of things you don't think you'll need but you'll be patching one day and I think "I wonder if I could do this" and Maths will be sitting right there ready for you. To top it off, I prefer its envelopes to the Zadar a good bit, very responsive to wiggling, which is one of the joys of modular, and with a nice expressive range. I'd say this second case looks pretty good!

OK that's a bit more like it

@toinouvltn the Maths does a crap-ton of things you don't think you'll need but you'll be patching one day and I think "I wonder if I could do this" and Maths will be sitting right there ready for you. To top it off, I prefer its envelopes to the Zadar a good bit, very responsive to wiggling, which is one of the joys of modular, and with a nice expressive range. I'd say this second case looks pretty good!
-- troux

Maths is an excellent module I would probably buy it before any of the others if I had the choice - read through the illustrated manual - the others are modules, Maths is a patch programmable analog computer

let's see what we can take out to get a bit of space for more important modules

do you really need 2 stereo inputs?

how are you mixing? audio submixes/cv/final audio - I see a STmix and a triple vca - and the middle section of maths - not a huge amount - maybe enough; may not! try patching in your head! or on paper - count outputs - count inputs - have you got enough ways to combine different things?

do you need a buffered mult? only really needed for v/oct - which you don't really need - use stackcables or headphone splitters

the mute module? how are you planning on using it? do you need 4 channels? better to use on gates than on audio

and the offset module from NE - I would rather have a matrix mixer - AI Synthesis or Rebel Technology - you can always do offsets with maths

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Another alternative to Maths are Befaco Rampage and possibly Intellijel Quadrax or Quadra with the expander.
Then there is Frap Tools Falistri which has its own take. I just ordered the Quadra and expander since I already have a mini-maths in my 0-coast and wanted to try something different. I am finding utilities like mixers and buffered mults super useful as I start to build more complex patches.