ModularGrid Rack

Hi all,
I've been working on this rack for a bit now, going back and forth, as one does... I am still very much a beginner but I do own some of these modules and others will be coming soon.

Already have:
sound sources:
- Instruo Saich
- Subconscious Communications Model 52 Vampire

audio VCA/LPGs:
- MN Optomix
- Xoac Tallin
- Instruo Vinca

filters:
- Bastl Ikarie

effects:
- MN Desmodus Versio
- Instruo Arbhar (coming soon)

CV/utilities:
- MN Maths
- Pamela's new workout
- currently have a MI Stages that will be replaced by incoming Batumi and Quadrax

Looking to add:
- CV VCA's (the 1u vcas are just an idea right now)
- looking to add a new filter.. still looking around, might get the Jove but who knows
- Looking to add another oscillator... open to ideas but no rush here either - loving the Vampire and Saich. The Mannequins Mangrove, Just Friends, and the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator have caught my attention..
- Really interested in more effects/sound processors.. just got the Instruo Tanh waveshaper/limiter which I love but its more of a saturator/limiter than a waveshaper i think. Looking into getting a dedicated delay module like the Xoac Sarawejo, but get some interesting delay/reverbs from the Desmodus Versio. The Xaoc phaser module looks pretty interesting too.

Everything is being sequenced by a Squarp Pyramid going into the Befaco Midi-CV module. That covers note sequencing, but with the Saich some kind of shift register device might be super helpful so looking at the Intellijel Shifty. I feel like I have the room to get a Quad VCA for cv mixing, but would like something more interesting to play with if possible, especially if the 1u VCAs would cover most/all of my VCA needs. The audio mixing isn't quite there either, I haven't been able to find the Cosmix mixer, which means that I have no aux sends at the moment. I'm considering getting multiple small reverbs/delays/fx units to use as inserts with different voices rather than a global send, but not sure if I have the room for this.

Would love to hear any thoughts on the build, how you see it growing, any interesting things that I may be missing (always interested in unique sequencing and stuff you can only do in modular (ie sequential switches) but I already have sequencing covered and not enough room to get it done as efficiently in the rack. As said, interested in sound processors as well as another oscillator that might add something new/interesting to this.

Also, since sequencing is done out, I don’t have a great way of creating chords for the Straich. Harmonaig is too big as are most of the alternatives I’ve seen. The Quantimor by Topobrillo looks to be the closest to what I want but it’s discontinued. Intellijel Shifty might be the move?

Lastly, I’ve got an Apollo Interface with a bunch of inputs, so potentially could only submit in the rack and have a second stereo output. Is this common at all? Any good modules for this?

Thanks!

Did some thinking and I think I got it close to a nice 3 voice system. All audio in a Doepfer 6u 84hp case and modulating/sequencing in an Intellijel 104hp palette. Sequencing done externally from Squarp Pyramid.

ModularGrid Rack

not enough utilities...

a lot of modulation sources but not many ways to combine and modify them

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I dunno...with the Duatt and Quadratt in the tile row, that's not TOO bad. Maybe a second Duatt would make sense in the hole on the row...? As for the 4 hp hole in the middle 3U row, my suggestion there would be a Doepfer A-133-2 to give more CV control over polarization...being able to modulate between, say, an inverted and noninverted envelope would be pretty nifty, and a good fit in that spot. Also gives the modulation sources a little more to chew on...

this user has left ModularGrid

For support modules, I really like Mutable Instruments Kinks and Links and recently acquired WMD SSF Toolbox which is a really nifty small HP module that gives you summing, rectify, logic, invert and switch utilities in one small HP space. If I need to do heavy duty logic stuff, I use the logic operators in Pamela New Workout and my Intellijel Plog which are lots of fun as well. Besides VCAs and modulation sources, utility support modules are the bread and butter of modular!