I've had the mixer a couple of days, and here are my niggles so far. Only two stereo channels. No gain controlled stereo effects send/return. The effects loops with gain control are mono only. There is a global effects loop (compressor is suggested), but it's sort of all or nothing. They have an expander that adds two stereo channels, but only one expander is allowed. To get mutes you have to buy another additional module. So with the two expansions you are another $350 in, and at 56HP. This thing draws a full amp of power. Lets face facts here, any Eurorack mixer must be a compromise with the space limitations. I think WMD did a pretty good job, and there is a lot to like. It would be nice to route various stereo sources (Ensemble, Cloud Terrarium, Clouds, Plaits, Rings and Morphagene all have stereo) through Magneto, Mimeophon or FX Aid in varying degrees. Ah well, it's not a perfect world.

I just installed one of these a couple of weeks ago to replace the Roland 531 mixer I started with. I just dialed in my first big patch with it and so far I am very happy with it. The comments you made are right in line with everything I read on the ModWiggler thread, so I knew what to expect. My system isn't huge (2x 7Ux104) so I am not hitting serious limitations with stereo channels yet.

I am patching stereo voices into channels 1/2 and 3/4 for example and panning left/right. I imagine that I can also group voices using the mono channel A&B inputs as long as I want to control them similarly. Totally agree that stereo aux would have been great, and I haven't tried using one of the stereo channels as the return yet, but this is a suggested workaround. But I really wanted to just use reverb on the aux and control the amount of effect per voice, and it does that perfectly. OK it'd be better if I could use the stereo reverb but I am satisfied with mono on the effect. CVing the panning controls on the channels gives enough stereo imaging for my taste.

No power gremlins so far with the maxed out Intellijel case it's in. Mute buttons would also be convenient, but I am OK so far using the A/B switch for the channel inputs or just slamming the faders.

If anyone is thinking about this I highly recommend you read the full thread on ModWiggler. It's long but super informative and reveals a ton of use cases with potential issues, workarounds and alternative mixer modules to consider. What I was really impressed with is the active forum participation of WMD and their approach to problem solving. WMD steps right in to resolve issues very quickly and the customer feedback about WMD support is also great.

I'm really glad I pulled the trigger.

Since I wrote those comments I got an Octatrack. I am using the PM stereo loop to attach the Octatrack. Ultimately I don't think I will stay with this setup. The levels are really wrong. I think the OT needs a dedicated "line level" interface, and I plan to try using my Strymon pedal interface. For Stereo mixing I'm running my stereo sources through my Befaco ST Mix, and into the PM input 7. But as you said, you lose the per voice effects levels that way. You get far less versatility out of your effects modules.

I nearly posted something the other week about being confused about Modular mixers, there really isn't one that is suitable to fit all tastes.

Things like:
Lacks enough standard Stereo channels.
The add-on mixers lack Mutes and Pan control.
Takes up too much HP.
Its massively cheaper on Ebay, buy a Mackie, Behringer or Yamaha outboard mixer second hand or even new they can be a good price.

I've pretty much decided for the playing about I do with modular I'm better with small sub-mixers.
There is almost an argument for buying a few Befaco Out v3's as leveled Outs to a desktop Mixer.

I emailed a suggestion to Befaco a bit back, make an STMIX that has Stereo Mutes and Pan control attached, thats what I need/want, and it would make the STMIX a better more functional part when coupled with the Hexmix, and in turn the Hexmix more appealing with its mono panned and EQ'd channels with Stereo effects returns.

My Current mixers are; Befaco STMIX, 2x Doepfer A-138s (for percussion mixing), and a Happy Nerding 4xMix.
There are so many modules that are Stereo, I think I have 6 stereo-capable modules in my rack now and add the outputs of the 2x A-138s's and thats 8x Stereo outs I need before thinking about Mono.

I'll leave this here, in its vaguely confused state :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Well stated... agree on all counts.

I removed the Roland 531 and a MN Pan Mix to get the PM in the rack. I was going to sell them, but I think I am going to keep them for the utility that sub-mixers provide and the inevitable expansion. ;-) Yeah, I deliberated for a long time before I bought the PM and looked at a load of the alternatives. Ultimately I choose the PM as offering the most bang for the buck with a reputable manufacturer. It is not the ultimate mixer for all racks, but that module doesn't exist.

I agree with all that was stated in previous posts. It is really nice, high quality mixer. The only con is that there is no stereo return for aux sends. I have Pico DSP and FX Aid, both stereo outs, so I am using mono send and mix both stereo outs with Doepfer A-138s and patch them to Mix In on Performance Mixer. I really thinking about stereo channel expander as I am using a lot of stereo sources - Rings, E352, BitBox.
Another "con" is that phone output is very loud. I have it on minimum all the time. I use Sennheiser HD 25-1.
I would suggest to use potentiometer caps with pointer on gain knobs. Sometimes I can not see where the gain is. Especially when using two channels for stereo application.

Besides those little things it is amazing mixer.

I've used this mixer for a few years and here are some things that I really like about it.

The aux sends are indeed mono, however, I use the 2x stereo channels for stereo returns. This is common practice to only use a mono send for a delay and reverb in the hardware world even for a stereo signal. I use a Sarajewo delay for aux 1 and return the separate delay taps to A and B to get the widening. Sound amazing. For the 2nd aux, I use an FX Aid as a set and forget verb and change up the algorithms to get different timbres. Also sounds great.

Since the aux returns are freed up on the top left corner of the mixer I use one to play ambiance, in my case, a vinyl crackle from 2hp loop. You could use it though for a sub-mix. You also have another set of mix inputs for an additional sub-mix.

The A-B switches effectively double your inputs and I usually will attenuate one of the inputs externally and use the gain control for the other. Sometimes, it's not needed if modules just happened to be balanced already. An example setup is I use an Erica Hats D in the A input and control the gain there, and for B input I sub-mix Erica Drums1, Mosaic 1u Hats, and Patching Panda hats into a Mosaic 1U mixer and that mixer out goes into the B input. I can just adjust the individual hats volumes on the 1U mixer and flip to A to mute the Mosaic hats group if needed.

Each channel has CV over its VCA and panning. I use an inverted envelope to "duck" channels where needed. This is tricky though cause unless you have an envelope with inverted outputs already you have to do some things to get it to the right voltage, shape etc. Something to note is the Channels expander has CV over the gain of stereo channels it adds in addition to the VCAs, which is not the case on the main module. Comes in handy.

You can use the cue output as a send too and do tricks with that.

A huge feature only found on a few outboard mixers is a master fx send and return. I personally have a mastering chain consisting of Happy Nerding TriTone for EQ and saturation, WMD SCLPL setup for DJ style filtering, and a WMD MSCL compressor set as a limiter.

Lastly, is the ability to run line-level gear in conjunction with modular gear without the need for attenuators or line-in modules.

I also use the DB25 expander for the individual outputs, though, one downside is that the outputs are pre-fader. Good for samples, but not so much for capturing performances and being able to mix them in the DAW later. I just use the stereo outs of the mixer which go through both the main module outputs and the DB25 outputs at the same time, which means cabling can be flexible and you can record with a secondary backup device too.

My wishlist for it.
-The current Mutes module adds mute buttons, but also CV over the aux sends on channels 1-4. I just want a 2hp module that allows CV over the aux sends which is totally doable and maybe even DIY as WMD has mentioned I could ask for the pinouts.
-Clickless muting for the Mutes module. On both the Mutes and the Overseer you can get clicks. I'm not sure what goes into this, but I know it's possible because Happy Nerding has a Mutes module that doesn't click as it only engages or disengages at the zero-crossing or fades in and out (IDK, I'm no EE).
-This is personal, but I would like a set of inputs like the mix-in to sum post master inserts.
-Lastly, sometimes I have to attenuate modules before they go into the mixer because the level is so hot it's clipping the mixer already with no gain. I suspect this is because of the amount of gain they have dialed in to accommodate line-level gear. Would be cool if this was switchable on the back (I hope I'm not missing something on this).

All in all, it's pretty incredible how much went into this mixer. It just does so much more than its size lets on and though it's a good amount of HP in the rack, there's no other way to get this much functionality in that same space.

I highly recommend it.

Ill chime is as I also own and use this mixer every day.

Things I love
The master send and return:
I can record my entire performance via this output by sending the mix to my 1010 bit box.
Another draw for me, is sending the master mix out to Morphagene and then back in. Instant fun

I do wish there was gain on the stereo channels, but I have them at set and forget, and run a sub mix into those modules to get a stereo image. The cv control on volume and pan is amazing. Its big, but its in my rack and clean. If I wanted a real mixer, I would sent everything out to my console.

this user has left ModularGrid

I went with smaller 4 channel mixers that have mute buttons/switches and stereo pan/send/receive that work better for me like Befaco Hexmix, Qu-bit Mixology and Hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue. I feed into larger mixer so works for my needs.

this user has left ModularGrid

Yes, unfortunately, everything is not perfect. But you can, for example, use a stereo mixer as a sub-mixer,like the Befaco-STMIX or 2 mono channels as stereo with hard left and right panning. And on the mixer there are cv inputs for levels. This could be used for cv controlled mute.