sounds like a live improvisation to some generative sounds, great work!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Do it, go full on Freddy Mercury.... Embrace that duster, if it works, it works :) I use a clean paintbrush but cat hair is still tricky.

Btw, Don't use WD40

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

I don't know if it's a EU/US thing, but if I google DeoxIT I get tons of WD-40 results in front. Is it the same product? It's certainly cheaper.
Also, I know it's not the manliest of sights, but I use one of these artificial feather dusters for all my gear and so far I've had no dust-related problems. And it's so light you can dust your VCOs without getting them out of tune!

Thread: Cellar Door

I will be in contradiction with most suggestions on this forum but anyway...

Buy a smaller case

Thread: Cellar Door

Well - I've finally decided to try this.
I've started by getting an Intelligel 4U 62HP case.
I've watch a many videos and played with VCV Rack to start getting an idea on where to go with this build. One of the things I've noted form other videos and builders is the suggestion to gear the rack for a particular sound or target output. To that end I've decided to attempt a Kraftwerk sound.
I want to have good filters, several LFOs and at least two VCOs. I've heard more than once you can't have too many VCAs, but the case is limited for a reason to 62HP... that being = I don't wan't to get carried away with the first try...

I'll update as time permits.

atomkey.

For cleaning — DeoxIT
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/
-- cmb_

I use and endorse DeoxIT, frankly! My can of D5 is currently sitting next to the Digisound 80, in fact. The stuff might seem like it's just basic "contact cleaner", but it goes a lot further than that...it adds lubrication to a pot that doesn't gum up after time, for one thing. And then, yep, it's got some anti-tarnish ingredients to help keep contacts from getting crapped up again.

It was so ubiquitous in Nashville back in the day that, if you ran into a crackly pot or intermittent switch with the resulting noise, everyone would be lunging for the DeoxIT can, unspoken rule-style.

For cleaning — DeoxIT

-- cmb_

"Rejuvenator and protector". I may use that one on myself instead

The 8 files have to be named "1.wav" to "8.wav" and be in the root folder of your SD card. Each file should be 32 kbyte.
I never had anything else on the SD card, and it always worked without a problem. You can also try a different SD card.

I originally tried to put most of the modules to the top row that have a screen and knobs on top, and patch points on the bottom, to make tweaking easier. Pam is top middle, because it's often my most patched module, and I was thinking that it needs to be as close as possible to everything else.

Thanks a lot for taking the time for this. I copied it over to my designs, I'm going to go over the changes you made.

This terrain is difficult for me, I would like others with more knowledge to present their ideas

hello colleagues, I accept recommendations from people with an open mind, I hope you enjoy the ideas of my module. Hugs

Hi, Yes I did. Super strange, lovely module though, you will not be dissapointed.

Have you named the files as per manual instructions? I'm getting this module soon so following this topic for eventual future troubleshooting.

For cleaning — DeoxIT

Great track there!!

Not to mention Cat hair, it clings to rubbery knobs!!

I have a lid on mine but covering I with anything should help.
Befaco make a brush which I recommend

It seems like my modular gets covered in dust easily, so I've two questions you guys surely can help with.

Due to the dust a couple of modules have developed scratchy knobs, usually fully moving the knobs back and forth solves the problem, but lately the scratch seems to persist in one of the knobs and I'm not sure how to fix it. It seems like I need to clean it with "air spray", do I need to fully remove the front panel of the module before blowing the air or is it ok to just remove the plastic knob? Is there any other/better way to get rid of the scratchy knobs?

And then, how do you keep dust away from your modular? some cases have a cover like a suitcase, which I guess helps a lot keeping the modular clean, but other cases don't. Do you cover your modular in some way? or how do you keep your modular dust free? So far I've been cleaning mine with a brush, but some of the dust always seems to find it's way into the knobs and sliders.

Hi there, I dont get my head around this and need some help with my PH MK3, I dont actually understand to add the customized wavetables that I do myself and also download at waveedit to the SD card, do they have to be marked 1-8 in the SD card? Because when i add the wavetables it doesnt show up on my module,

thanks again

Here's a video for the track "Gravity" from a new album release called Air. Modular synth sounds are done mostly with Serge Eurorack for this track.

Full album here:
https://solitaireousolidaire.net/listen.html

All the best.

Threaded rails (or threaded rail strips...similar idea) are definitely solid, but if you're doing anything DIY or want to use an Analogue Systems module or two, you'll be very grateful for those sliders. Any time you have the potential for a module NOT matching the typical Eurorack spacing, that's when sliders become a godsend!

Optimize, actually. I did a rework of this, came up with...
ModularGrid Rack
Audio in the top row, modulation/control in the bottom. By clarifying the signal paths in this way, it becomes much easier to wrap ones' head around what's actually going on. There's really only ONE change I would suggest as far as modules, that being to replace the Zeroscope with an Intellijel Dual VCA ii, then placing this alongside the 3xMIA so that you've got your mixer/distro AND your modulation amplitude controllers all in one place. The Zeroscope is sort of a "luxury", and in smaller builds, it's important to minimize/eliminate things like that so that everything has actual synthesis functionality. Other than that, it's a pretty solid build.

Bopodog, very very helpful as well. Thanks for taking the time to go through those things, I'm learning a ton. I have updated my rack since the original post (I dont know if you guys can see that). I really also just don't want to look at any screens or doing any scrolling or menu diving as I do it enough on my day job. So I took out a couple of large items and added some other things based on what I'm reading here. Thanks again.

Actually, it might not be the computer that's at fault here. My bet is that this disconnect is due to the DAW, and not the computer itself. I myself went through this when I kept trying to figure out how to integrate ProTools into a compositional workflow...which would never work. As a compositional platform, PT just downright SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!

Ableton, on the other hand...that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. It does everything that PT doesn't like to do just fine, and a lot more besides. And if it DOESN'T do what I need, I can fix that, thanks to its integration with Max. It takes far less effort to figure out than PT, too. However, I should note that I like to mix in analog...I just prefer having the sounds under my fingers, so I get that. You might try a "hybrid" setup like that yourself...multitrack in Ableton (and this works so much better with a proper multichannel interface), then mix in analog to a digital 2-track. This way, you get that same incremental control...but you can ALSO make use of outboard processors with ease, which also has the effect of reducing the processor load on the DAW. Sure, it has a learning curve like most anything else, but it works more "musician-ish" if that makes sense.

Cool vibe!

Your signal flow there is correct.

The VCA and Envelops are combined in the Patching Panda Punch and the Befaco Percall, you can build both from DIY kits if you don't mind a bit of soldering, the Punch is a very easy build.

I seem to recall someone on here recommending a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-percussion-interface and https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-percussion-interface-expander which they said would like you turn an audio input into a modulation source, might be worth having a look at.

The other module i would recommend for this is the Befaco Percall, I don't own it but you can make anything into Percussion with that and it also has Choke so it will shut off the Open Hat with a Closed Hat etc.
-- wishbonebrewery
Thank you, that looks seriously awesome.

As you say you could use an envelope follower which is listening to some other percussion track to get Triggers, gates and a Decay envelope out of it.
-- wishbonebrewery

OK, that's what I was wondering. But I'm still struggling to grasp the basic (starting) signal flow when there is no oscillator involved. Will this work conceptually? Or do I ALSO need to extract a gate signal from the envelope source and feed that to a gate between "continuous audio source" and the VCA?

Audio source -> VCA -> VCF -> final audio output
Envelope output -- ^ ------^

I'm trying to get into this as cheap as possible haha. And add stuff later.

Thank you!

I run for my life when I see sliding nuts... I only got those two because they were for a dedicated System 100M where all the modules would just stay where they were from day one.
-- Mazz

I agree. If it's for anywhere other than my studio, where it will never move, I use threaded rails.

But yeah, this is not a bad unit.
--ck

Thanks very much for the feedback.

True that, The further LFOs are going to be provided by the Pamelas new Workout. While more VCAs, I guess is the obvious improvement, once I figure out how to implement them and their true potential (Im new to the format) I will also be a believer of the never enough VCA belief system.

I agree about the Pittsburgh complete system, I guess it was the first part of the rack due to it being a semi modular, and a way to dip my toe into the format. For now it provides a number of functions and when I can afford I can see your logic to replacing it with a more feature filled use of HP.

Thanks for your help!

@GarfieldModular
thanks a lot! on the right it's Radias from Korg which i used for some percussions here;)

@sacguy71 Korg Radias;)

@wishbonebrewery Thank you!

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Lovely ambient kind of jam, very enjoyable and somehow peaceful, that's my kind of cup of tea :-)

@Audhentik: Regarding the drums, yes I can imagine what you mean with that, on the other hand perhaps see it like this, by not using too much drums, this emphasis the modular synth sounds, which I feel is a very enjoyable experience. Perhaps Wishbonebrewery should make a "mix" version with more drums & percussion and keep this original version too ;-)

Thanks a lot Wishbonebrewery for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hi Garfield:)
Thanks for your feedback! Of course tastes are different and pls don't get me wrong it isn't bad at all...i don't comment stuff which i don't like ;)
Greetings

I started last year with my rack after asking for your advice, and after a lot of changes this is what I arrived to (edit: if I was being a bit vague, this thing is not a plan any more, it exists phsysically :) ). It's a Mantis case, and this is the first time I feel that I'm comfortable with it and don't feel an immediate need to swap a module for something else. That's why I'm asking you, in which direction would you take this thing:

ModularGrid Rack

As a context: this is a pure hobby case with the sole goal of having fun without staring at a computer screen. I'm not (publicly) performing and not publishing any music. I basically enjoy just sitting down with a basic patch idea and expanding on it. Somehow I frequently end up with some techno-ish stuff...

I was originally planning to add more VCAs, but at the moment I feel comfortable with the Quad VCA that I have, also considering that Twin Waves and Ikarie both have built in ones. I also feel that the Zadar channels themselves can be modulated enough without additional VCAs. I might add some more in the future as my technique improves (if it ever does).

I was also originally planning to have a Quadrax instead of the Zadar, but the 4 HP difference proved to be more important. At the moment I'm using Maths for the snappier envelopes.

What I'm thinking about adding if I ever decide to expand:
* Mixing with effect sends. At the moment I'm connecting my 4x Stereo Mixer and my VCA sum always differently to the output module and to my effects. This could use some standardisation :)
* I find that I love filters. I would like to have more.
* I think I could use some more tightly controllable clocked modulation. Maybe something like a Maestro.
* Ring modulator, I don't have a "through zero" VCA at the moment.
* Something to improve how the complete mix sounds. Worng Soundstage, Jumble Henge or some EQ-Modules maybe.
* Maybe a Morphagene...

Thanks for your opinions!

The specs are 1000mA for the + and -12 and 500mA for the +5. I believe the 3000 refers to the actual transformer.
I own a couple of these and quite a few Tiptop ears/rails combos. I never thought I'd say this but the Bs feel a lot better build quality than the TTs. The latter feel like a rush job, with sharp and pointy edges, and generally flimsy, while the Bs look and feel properly finished and robust.
Problem is... I run for my life when I see sliding nuts... I only got those two because they were for a dedicated System 100M where all the modules would just stay where they were from day one.

Think of it in terms of signal flow.
Sound sources: DPO is a complex oscillator and not cheap, but great value. You have independent waveform outs and V/Oct, you can stack the two Osc. and more importantly (in the long term more interesting) you can modulate one with the other and cross modulate. You should also have a noise source as well.
Filter: Mono or stereo, style to your personal taste, low pass only or multi-mode? I probably wouldn’t pick the Rossum filters to start, although they are both great. For mono, I love the Synthesis Technology A440 (low pass) and I have the the Bastl Ikarie which is a high/ low pass with a drive circuit to add filth/ saturation. There are tons of really good filters, it really is a matter of taste…
Envelope: WMD has the Javelin which is a full ADSR in 6hp with a built in VCA. It also has an envelope out. Xaoc Zadar is awesome because you can dial up all sorts of envelopes so quickly, with some being quite complex.
VCA: Veils is great, very useful and compact. Intellijel has the Quad VCA.
Modulation: Xaoc Batumi is a great quad LFO, I highly recommend it. You can’t argue against having Maths but I personally don’t have one. Quadrax is ultimately more flexible than Batumi and is what I would probably choose. Mutable Instruments Stages is great as it can be a multi-stage, one-shot or looping envelope, or even a CV sequencer. You can chain them as well.
FX: I would go with the Morphagene as a delay because it has so many sweet spots, is easy to work, and has what is essentially a reverb built in. FX Aid is a great bang-for-the-buck multi-FX and flexible. The Erbe Verb is not a conventional reverb but rather a thing unto itself. Not my first choice to start.
Utility: Pamela’s New Workout should be in the first round of modules you buy with 8 separate clicks/ modulation sources. Mults, buffered multi, adders, sum/ diff., logic modules, attenuators ( 2hp modules are great, but can be a bit crowded and tight). Also random + sample & hold…
Sequencer: Intellijel Steppy is compact and great to start with, but will only do triggers, not CV. Do some research and use your system for a bit before you settle on a sequencer as each one has it’s own workflow and strengths.
Overall, I would start simple and make your larger investments later when you know what you want and you have the skill and experience to take advantage of more complex (and expensive) modules. (Verbos modules in combination have tons of (often narrow) sweet spots which are not always easy to find and they are expensive, not great to start out with) . Good luck!

Working outside in, I’d suggest you consider the following:
1) As mentioned above, a potable audio recorder (Zoom, Tascam etc) is your best bet for recording. You can also make field recordings with it and bring them back to your system.
2) There are great output modules (I have a Befaco, WMD, Joranalogue is great) and they usually have a headphone out as well. You can have a separate input module if you will be importing sounds or a combined I/O module (eg. Intellijel I/O).
3) You will have to look at a mixing solution that feeds into your output module. Befaco STMix is a nice 4+1 stereo mixer that will duplicate mono L to R, with level control, DC-coupled to mix CV but no pan control. If you eventually upgrade your mixing solution, you can still use it for sub-mixes. Next level up would be a larger mixer with pan control and Aux Send/Return (eg SSF Vortices). The top end (expensive) solution would be a Befaco Hexmix + Expanders or a WMD Performance Mixer (I have one, it is f***ing awesome and transformative).
4) You could mix outside of eurorack as mixers can be quite inexpensive, but then you would have to bring all of your eurorack level feeds down to line level which is not practical. Sorry for the length of the reply. Good luck

Aha, the plot thickens...

I've also been looking into the Erica Synths Wavetable VCO and Black Polivocs VCF. Quite lovely to my ears.

Any thoughts/tips about a good step sequencer? Knob twiddling not menu diving. What do you guys know/feel about the new Doepfer A-157-1 trigger sequencer? Not much online at the moment.

New product today. I needed another studio rack for my Eurorack modules, so grabbed a Behringer one from Sweetwater.

A fine unit, good price. Little skeptical on their power claims, but it’ll support the width it is. And fits in the studio rack well.

Nice work there :) Nice groove.

Several observations...first up, put the Lifeforms SV-1 back in its case. This seems to be a common issue when people get patchables that can be put into a Eurorack cab. Well, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Right now, that one "module" (which it's not...it's actually a patchable standalone synth) is taking up 48 hp that modules which DON'T have power or housing should be in.

Second...you can guess where this is going...VCAs!!!! Sure, there's a Tangle Quartet there...but you need to remember that it's populated with linear VCAs. For audio, as a rule you want exponential VCAs, as our sense of hearing perceives apparent loudness on an exponential (the Decibel curve) curve. Keep the TQ...you'll want it as a dedicated modulation VCA for controlling modulation amplitudes. But for the AUDIO...get a Veils or something rather like it.

Third: submixers. This is another "utility" that is pretty necessary. Or they would be, but there's not enough...

Fourth: modulation sources. This is something that even the SV-1 is lacking in. Aside of it, there's no LFOs here, only one (ADSR) EG, and so on when you take the SV-1 out of the equation. And by using submixing specifically for modulation (see these examples: Tiptop MISO, Frap's 321, and the like), you can take a handful of mod sources and "create more". Add VCAs to this, and then you've got a serious modulation section.

Lastly, the SOMA Lyra-8 delay is neat, to be sure...but it's also pretty huge, and in a small build like this one, it's critical that you condense things down so that you can have an ample complement of functions. If you can do the same sort of thing in 10 or 12 hp, that's more advisable, since you can probably emulate the sound of the Lyra-8 delay by other means.

Now, one thing that IS right in here is the use of the Malekko sequencing system. Sure, it also takes up a chunk of room...but it's justified here due to the tons of functions that the Voltage Block and Varigate 4+ bring to the table. One thing I'd suggest, then, would be to extend the Malekko "environment" so that you can have it "memorize" your critical settings. For example, they've got the solution for your LFO shortage in their Quad LFO...which ALSO connects to the Varigate 4+ to give you four "hot" memories for LFO behavior. Frankly, I'd also suggest adding the Varigate 8+; when you look here: https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/varigate-8/ you can see how potent that ecosystem is.

Sure, but veils can do both linear and exponential.
-- Cormallen

And a whole lot of response curves in between. This is one thing I like about using the 1/2-Veils clones...if you want to mess with the way the VCA is handling modulation levels, it's just a tweak away. Plus you'd be surprised at how quickly you'll go through a Veils-worth's of VCAs for just audio duties alone.

Looks like the Korg Radias.

this user has left ModularGrid

Groovy jam! What is the synth with the large white dial on the upper right corner of the video?

Good info, I’ll read it again when I’m not on my phone. It’s been years since I’ve had an MPC3000 so I am a bit familiar with MPC’s. I’ll take a look at that route.

Edit- I will also look into the multitrack recorders. I think that would be easier for me. I am trying to keep some of my options narrow otherwise I go down a deep expensive wormhole. Perhaps an MPC isn’t the best idea especially if I don’t currently want to use it for anything else.

Any idea on a good module to get me from the rack there?

Well, let's tackle some of your list... there's a lot to cover and I don't think it's going to be a one-brief-post reply.

Let's talk about recording. Well, that's an entire thing. Any two-track recorder should work if you're just looking to record your stereo mix as-is. But if you're looking to track individual parts and mix later, it'll be a mash up of the number of parts versus the number of inputs you have in your recorder. If you have more parts than inputs, you might have to sync your modular gear with your recorder and make a few passes to get every isolated part.

Speaking of recorders, if recording to Ableton is out, then you could try the Akai MPC Live series with CV outputs. Maybe it's too close to a DAW for your liking. Else you can go with a straight multitrack recorder from Zoom, Tascam, Sound Devices. I have my eye on the Cymatic Audio uTrack24 recorder. The price seems fantastic (under $600US).

If you must synchronize, that's usually done via MIDI, so you'd need something like a Pam's New Workout and the MIDI break-out expander for it and a recorder that can sync.

Cheers!

More VCA mode, I wil definitely look into when I get more familiar with their use, the Tangle Quartet is on the way in the post.

Hey sorry I lost original post trying to edit it.
See the OP here.

ModularGrid Rack

Hi there, this is my current modular setup. Would love to hear someone elses thoughts, what I could be missing, could have done differently, better or any cool patch ideas that someone may think of with a setup. your feedback is very welcome.

I will say I put together the setup with as much research as I could do without getting excited and adding to the list of must have modules. But I know with the modular world it seems there can always be more precaution. So far I am pretty happy with this unit.

Very nice! The only thing I think you'll find your going to need is more VCA mods. Otherwise, live the dream with this!

I recently had my case built (9U 128hp) and installed power but I’ve been reading on modular stuff for a couple years and just recently started watching a lot more videos and trying to retain what I’ve been ingesting.

My immediate goal is to become familiar with the pieces of equipment I currently have in my rack before I start going crazy buying cool new toys. Beyond anything else I say in this post I know this is priority#1.

My long term goal is to produce music/sounds for myself. Performing live is not my goal, sitting in my office tweaking knobs is. If I had to explain what kind of sonic experience I want to produce I’d have to say a mashup of Helene Vogelsinger and Skinny Puppy. Sounds odd I know but I’m a believer of if you can think it up it’s only a matter of time before you can do it.

My immediate issues are ins/outs. I got into modular to get away from the computer. I lose all creativity sitting at a computer. I want a module or piece of equipment that I can send an audio source (ambient noise, nature sounds, etc) to put behind/between/in front of the modular sounds.

I would also like outs that have headphones, stereo outs, some way to connect to a pair of speakers.

Finally, I need suggestions on how to record/mix it all without using a computer. I’ve had Ableton but I’m really looking to not make this a computer project.

I just have the basics right now but I know I need a good in/out. Any ideas?

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks a lot guys :)