If this is in an Intellijel Palette, I would strongly suggest removing the buffered mult and dropping this in instead: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-stereo-mixer-1u This connects to the Palette's 1/4" jacks like a typical stereo out, but it has a parallel stereo input with a level control so that you can use it as an extra FX return post-mix. Plus, in a small build like this, multiples of this sort are pretty much a waste. In this case, you've got a dual buffered mult, but there's not enough destinations for a single CV to cause voltage sag. Stick with stackcables or inline mults instead.

+1 on the Mantis as well. Fact is, it's $335 street in the USA, has excellent current output from its P/S, and is lightweight for portability. You can even get a matching gig bag for it, and if you feel the need to expand it, just get the expander links that match the cases. This would also make it easier to use some of the larger modules from the first build above, although I think you should try to keep the "panel bloat" to a minimum.

Thread: VCV 2.x out!

It's a shame they seem to have dropped the in-rack VCV Recorder module (to push people to buy pro?), that was super convenient...
-- justarandomgeek

In case you don't know, the Recorder is back. It just wasn't ready for initial release.

-- ProggyBoog

Yeah, they've been doing some incremental changes since 2.0.0 dropped. Last I checked (last night) they'd moved on up to 2.0.3

Own as of 12/11/2021

4MS Row Power
Plaits
Disting
Chance
Line Out 1U
Steppy
Scales

Well - I'll recommend the bigger case anyway - get a Mantis - it's probably about 3" bigger, possibly cheaper and means that you can add the modules you want not what intellijel pushes you towards in terms of midi and output modules - plus it's still very ,very portable (unless you are a small child), almost definitely has better power and just as importantly gets rid of the 1u row - there is nothing compelling in 1u that can't be done in 3u in 1/4 of the hp!!!

other point and possibly the one that you should pay more attention to - why the disting mk2??? get a mk4!!!! same size and more possibilities - also actually available new

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hello Blackmaul,

If it were me, and trying to keep the spirit of what your goals are (drone-synth voice + sample manipulation through Morphagene), I would do something like this:

(May need to click the picture to see the most recent arrangement.)

ModularGrid Rack

Here are my thoughts:

1. I'm thinking the Cursus Iteritas Percido is a bit too big for the case and freeing up some room for other functionality would be a good idea. As far as I understand, Cursus Iteritas is a stripped down version of CIP that's less than half its size in HP. I think you would still be able to get plenty of the gritty tones you're after with the CI. Also, adding a flexible filter like Belgrad after it will further allow a massive range of other tones.

2. The 1U Row:
    a. The 1U Golden Master felt like it could be swapped out for something more generally useful.
    b. I'm a huge fan of Intellijel's 1U Quadratt (and the Duatt when you have a little bit of extra space to fill in). Here I'm seeing the Quadratt as a way to more precisely attenuate modulation going into CI and Belgrad and/or mixing the outs of CI, Belgrad (as kind of a dry/wet level with CI or using Belgrad as a resonant oscillator on its own), and Krach (if you want to add noise).
    c. Added Krach to use as a gritty modulation source or to mix in as audio like mentioned above.
    d. Kept the 1U Stereo In module as a way to get external sound into Morphagene. If that's not how you're planning on using Morphagene, then I, personally, would probably swap it out for a different 1U tile.
    e. Added the Sloth Chaos for smooth randomness to the drone, sample manipulation, or effects.
    f. I've never used nor am I very familiar with Ornament and Crime, but I would want to use it a source of modulation in this build - probably LFOs. There may be more HP-efficient options out there for this purpose.
    g. I'm not sure whether it's possible to place the MIDI and Out modules where I've put them, but that seems ideal to me - having the Out at the far right by the final mixer (see below) and the MIDI above the synth voice.

3. Quadrax is a very flexible source of modulation - something that I think you need more of in the build. It would be ideal to have at least two of it's channels as envelopes (to filter and VCA) if you want to try a more traditional subtractive synth voice architecture at some point with the CI/Belgrad.

4. Keeping your core of Morphagene and QPAS. I interpreted your inclusion of the QPAS (other than you already own it) as a way to further process the Morphagene's output. Both are stereo, so you could have some interesting things going on there.

5. Swapped out the Black Hole DSP2 for FX Aid XL (it's less expensive, less HP, and better rated).

6. Added the 4X Stereo Mix as a compact stereo final output mixer before the 1U Out module. That way you can keep your stereo things in stereo while mixing with your synth voice.

7. Swapped out the Black Quad VCA2 for Veils (2020). It's slightly less expensive, same HP, and has additional functionality.

8. Added the RND STEP as another source of randomness. I have no experience with the Disting (I'm not a fan of multi-mode modules, in general), but I think some of it's functions could create interesting things with the RND STEP, so I put those two next to each other.

9. And sadly, I would do away with the music box module. I could see some really interesting things going on with it and the Morphagene, but I would rather use the HP for something else. You could always sample it for use in the Morphagene without having it in the final rack.

Overall, it looks like a fun build. And, of course, this is just how I would do it. And I certainly wouldn't limit myself to patching it only in the ways mentioned above - those are just starting points. I hope some of that might help you!

Best regards,
Chace

Very cool funbun! Really enjoyable.

All the best.

Thread: VCV 2.x out!

It's a shame they seem to have dropped the in-rack VCV Recorder module (to push people to buy pro?), that was super convenient...
-- justarandomgeek

In case you don't know, the Recorder is back. It just wasn't ready for initial release.

Oh, thanks, everyone!

@GarfieldModular, yeah, since I'm not fishing right now, it seemed like a good time to do a music video.

@farkas, thanks for chiming over on the YouTube channel.

@jb61264, Yes, this is it's own format. It's made by Tangible Waves and called AE Modular. Check out their Web site and forums. It's a growing community, new modules added all the time, all kinds of new music, all the time:

https://www.tangiblewaves.com/
https://forum.aemodular.com/forum
https://wiki.aemodular.com/

The whole premise behind AE Modular was to reduce the cost of modular synth without sacrificing sound. Yes, it uses custom made pin wires, but it's all to reduce the cost. But, the sound is amazing.

Heyhey people,
I'm planning on building towards a coherent, fully thought out system and I'm looking to get other people's feedback on what to change, what to improve etc. I know that fully planning out a system in advance doesn't really fully work out but I'd like to have a general idea of what I'm going for. Quick side note: I got the sonic lullaby module joke-gifted by a few friends about a year ago and since the idea of a sample-driven noise machine came mostly from that, I'd love to have it in there, but as much as it'd be funny, it'll probably be the first one to go as soon as I need some space.

This is what my current plan is looking like:
ModularGrid Rack

First off, what I want it to do: I want it to have at least one drone-ish synth voice and the sample manipulation of the morphagene. Haven't got any of the modules yet except the one I mentioned earlier and the QPAS, so everything's up to (possibly) be changed. Planning to sequence it with either my DAW or external gear, so I dont't think I'll be needing a sequencing module. What I'm mostly looking for is some advice for some modulation or utility I might want/need and some thoughts on the CIP as main synth voice. I really love the gritty sound that comes out of that thing, but there are a lot of other modules covering need for dark/aggressive sounds and I most likely don't know half of em. Also, since that would probably be the first mentioned advice, I don't really want to get a bigger case since I'd like it to be somewhat portable and dedicated in what it does. Don't worry, I've got another relatively empty case sitting here if the need for more modules arises.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

@jb61264 Maths is a bit like the church in the middle of the village: you don't necessarily enter it every day, but you think about it often.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Thread: surgeon 2018

The video and discussions at Elevator Sound are very interesting. In particular this notion of limitation: in the inflation of modules and the temptations which are related to it... Thanks for sharing.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Cool...I'm newer to modular so forgive my ignorance on the hardware...is it another form factor of modular like Buchla or Serge? I noticed the patch cables/connectors were much smaller/thinner than what I've seen to date.

Dig your thoughts on generative music and wanting to be involved in the process like a conductor. Thanks for posting

JB

I have one with base firmware and my OCP with Hemispheres just arrived today in the post so I need to see if this is possible.
-- sacguy71

Cool...let me know if you figure it out on Hemispheres. I originally had that loaded and decided I wanted to try the base firmware and that's what got me down the Sequins rabbit hole. Hemispheres doesn't have "Sequins" but maybe running in Darkest Timeline on one side with Schmitt Trigger on the other? I never tried them when I had Hemispheres loaded, but did have fun with Enigma.

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

I have one with base firmware and my OCP with Hemispheres just arrived today in the post so I need to see if this is possible.

That was great, @funbun. Subscribed to your channel.
I've been interested in the AE stuff. Please keep sharing.
Happy holidays.

Hi Funbun,

Nice video with a great demo of your AE system. Finally I can watch you work with your AE modular system, great! :-)

Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

If you just want to listen to the tune, fast-forward to 8:17.

There may be a way to do that with Hemispheres, I'm not sure. I think that's why o_c and Temps Utile tend to go hand-in-hand

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

That was a nice demo video of the Polyend Tracker :-)

Thank you very much for that, enjoy the weekend and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Best I can tell from the manual, there is no setting that causes O&C to generate a reset trigger, nor can I find a play mode that replicates what you're wanting.

It's a very strange beast, but have a look and you'll see some parallels: http://www.telesoniek-atelier.nl/images/TAR02_175.jpg
-- Lugia

Very cool...probably wouldn't work very well in the HP calculation to throw that in to a rack would it ;)
Math's is still an abstract beast for me...I am finding different uses for it all the time and going through the online illustrated supplement to continue learning but, but still...rabbit hole

JB

Hi,

I there is the explanation in this video.
-- klodifokan

I watched this video...in fact quite a few of synthdads videos on o_c :)
He does explain how to configure the o_c to accept a trigger to start Sequins with clock start and I get that...what I was hoping is that there was some way to configure a channel on 0_c to be its own trigger (so to speak)...so when the module receives a start from my master clock, it generates a trigger that can be fed back into the reset channel I have configured in 0_c. In the video he uses Pams to do this. I've tried to use a clock start from something else in my setup (say the clock out from my Hydrasynth) but it does not work as a trigger. I'm looking to see if I can assign one of the Mod outputs from Hydrasynth as some sort of trigger but haven't discovered anything yet. Was hoping there may be some sort of trick I could do with Quadrax or even as I mentioned before configuring o_c to output a trigger back into itself.

JB

I own a Temps Utile. If I had to do it over again, I'd get Pam's New Workout instead.
-- Ronin1973

Anyone know about the godfried?
It looks like what I want for everything... Like temps but with a start, stop and reset... I was going to email...
With o_c could be interesting.

I've done a lot of work with test equipment (aka "raw electronics") over the years, but I got one of these recently. Then I finally found some docs for it...and noticed that, to some extent, the EG&G Universal Programmer Model 175 shares a lot of functionality with Make Noise's Maths. Hainbach's also got one, and the awesome Willem Twee studio in den Bosch has one or two. It's a very strange beast, but have a look and you'll see some parallels: http://www.telesoniek-atelier.nl/images/TAR02_175.jpg

Oh, yeah...it doesn't output anything beyond +/-10V...also making it potentially useful alongside a modular. It'll also interface nicely with this module: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/metro-modular-mm3203a-test-eagle

big thanks to both of you 😊

-- Dub007

for case parts and module kits (including the excalibus) - exploding-shed.com is really worth checking

if you do get a excalibus then you'll need a rug wart - basically a laptop power supply - you should be able to find one that will work perfectly online for 20€ or so

-- JimHowell1970

I can walk to their shop... So.. This is now a given. Thank you. Got the rug wart... Doesn't everyone have that box or bin? And depending on final power draw... The USB adapter and bank.
Exploding shed is bookmarked as well and I bounce between while "researching". Good stuff

My case suggestion would be Case From Lake. See here: https://reverb.com/shop/casefromlake

They do some pretty solid cabs, and you'll notice that they can make extensive bespoke modifications...adding tile rows, different panel space, choices between beefy Meanwells and Doepfer's current A-100 supply. Bus boards included, too. Not as cheap as DIY, true, but they do make things far simpler.
-- Lugia

I have them booked marked; amazing work. In a past life I may have made furniture and appreciate the details and the overall attention to detail and usability.

a big thanks to @Enroute! very helpful and friendly seller. the item was very well packed, if it wasn't for the great packing DHL would have f####d up the module. it was great and simple buying from @Enroute!

On a serious note the casefromlake boxes look amazing and functional! I wonder if I should have gone down that route as my system currently would need a case for travel.
-- zuggamasta

Well, you could set one up to fit modules in for live gigs. There's a number of people here who do that. And again, I love the build quality; these things look like they could turn a bullet!

Hi,

I there is the explanation in this video.
https://m.

88 & 114 hp are weird sizes - ie not standard rails sizes are you going to use wood rails? - I've tried this and personally I wouldn't advise it - when using aluminium rails (and preferably threaded inserts - seriously much better than sliding nuts) it's much easier to stick to standard sizes!!

For small systems I don't understand the need for fixed threaded inserts over sliding nuts. With the sliding nuts you get a free (well, probably over 1500$) shaker,too!
On a serious note the casefromlake boxes look amazing and functional! I wonder if I should have gone down that route as my system currently would need a case for travel.

I'd suggest some utilities like a Befaco A*B+C. Adds a flexible Attenuverter, Offset generator, Ringmodulator or even two times linear VCA to your system :) I use mine in every patch I make.

All computer operating systems prioritize audio over virtually everything else including midi - want a solid clock from a computer - use an audio click track

This is because most users will notice and complain if replaying audio is jittery - in reality very few computer users actually use midi

-- JimHowell1970

What is an audio click track? Would this be for example in Ableton using CV Clock Out (CV tools in Ableton) as the clock source?

-- jb61264

a sample of a kick drum, for example on every 16th note on an audio track - this is what I use from Logic - works perfectly no jitter

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

My case suggestion would be Case From Lake. See here: https://reverb.com/shop/casefromlake

They do some pretty solid cabs, and you'll notice that they can make extensive bespoke modifications...adding tile rows, different panel space, choices between beefy Meanwells and Doepfer's current A-100 supply. Bus boards included, too. Not as cheap as DIY, true, but they do make things far simpler.

I'm actually going to suggest TWO modules, both 4 hp in width.

The first one is the Ladik S-186, and the other is Tesseract's VC Logics. The first one is useful to shift gate/trigs rhythmically and then move them off of the beat. And then with the second one, you can take both processed and UNprocessed clock signals and run them through a Boolean gate, which then outputs gates based on the given logic states at each Boolean. The VC Logics also allows you to switch Boolean logic per gate by CV, which can be fun as it has the ability to really alter the build's behavior.

I ordered from Ladik several times in the last months and shipping from Czech Republic to Hamburg, Germany always was super fast (even faster than from Berlin to Hamburg). So my guess is on Covid (very high numbers in Czechia) and the usually huge amounts of parcels around this time of year. My fingers crossed for you sacguy71!

Actually, something like a Branches clone (Mutable's is discontinued) could be fun. These are Boolean gates which, depending on probabilistic variables (CV controlled ones, too), route a gate/trigger to one of two outputs. So if you routed sequencer clock pulses through this and only used one output, you'd have a stochastic clock skipper. Or route a raw clock between two different clock modulators with random swaps. Or a whole lot of other entertaining tricks.

New Sounds from the rack, take a listen here:

I added Kick ALL and some more modulation to the rig with Stages, and I couldn't be happier. This is still stock Stages firmware as the other one seemed a little too overwhelming. If I had to get something righ now (I don't plan to), I'd grab either another module that can quantize CV to free the Disting, an Buffered Mult or some more Attenuverters. But that's for another day (year).

Also: Thank you Lugia, I watched a lot of NUTONE demos when you told me about them. But more modulation & utilities first!

The granular synth is limited because you can only have one grain.

-- ModLifeCrisis

Ahhhh...OK, that's pretty restricting. Looks like my instinct to use Grainstorm for granular work (on an Android tablet: Samsung Tab A) was the right one after all. Now I have to figure out how to tie that in so it can talk to Ableton.

Oh. 4ms is based a 20-minute drive from my house.

This could get expensive.
-- ProggyBoog

Ya think? 4ms has created some AMAZING shit over the years, with my faves being their ridiculously long modulation times available on the PEG and QPLFO. Plus the SISM is an excellent and CV-controllable modulation screw-with-er. The only ding I've give them might be the module sizes, but when you notice how well you can screw with the controls, you realize that that's ergonomics in action.

There are also rolling shortages for parts as well as long delays in delivery... it's not a good time to be a manufacturer, especially in boutique electronics.

I'm not excusing anyone or their business practices. Every case is different. But I do try and factor in issues with supply chains into delays.

big thanks to both of you 😊

-- Dub007

for case parts and module kits (including the excalibus) - exploding-shed.com is really worth checking

if you do get a excalibus then you'll need a rug wart - basically a laptop power supply - you should be able to find one that will work perfectly online for 20€ or so

All computer operating systems prioritize audio over virtually everything else including midi - want a solid clock from a computer - use an audio click track

This is because most users will notice and complain if replaying audio is jittery - in reality very few computer users actually use midi

-- JimHowell1970

What is an audio click track? Would this be for example in Ableton using CV Clock Out (CV tools in Ableton) as the clock source?

JB

Hope this covid crap ends soon.
-- sacguy71

highly unlikely until everyone worldwide is properly vaccinated, unfortunately... which isn't going to happen soon, for a number of reasons

I'm playing around with Sequins on o_c into my Disting (which is in multisample mode) and getting some really cool results. However, I'm trying to have Sequins start at the beginning of the sequence each time I stop/start the clock. There is a reset/mute option where you can specify a trigger channel to do this, but I am having a heck of a time finding something that I can create a trigger from that will do this in my setup.

I was hoping there would be some way that o_c itself could just generate a trigger whenever it started and stopped and send that to the channel I'm specifying as the reset but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this. I have Quadrax but have not been able to figure out a way to just have it send a trigger once upon start

Here is what I have for modules that I'm working with...

ModularGrid Rack

looking for any suggestions on how I could generate a single trigger when I start my clock (using Beatstep Pro as master clock start/stop). Tried to work through this over a couple days and have reached that point where I'm stumped and hoping someone else might have a recommendation.

JB

Side note...I don’t know about you guys but I’ve always had issues with midi clock when using Ableton with hardware synths and drum machines. One thing I can say for sure which I was totally taken aback from is that using Pams as the master (ext) clock is solid AF! After all these years trying to get all that midi synced, offsetting nightmares in Ableton’s MIDI settings, or even using track delays to get audio or MIDI to line up, again, PAMS is seriously solid! I have the modular on a stereo channel, Digitakt using overbridge, and Maschine all running rock solid now...finally. I hope that may help you guys in return and those out there who have these nightmares too.

Thanks again for you help peeps, much appreciated 🖖🏼🙏🏼
-- HybridWaveform

I'd get a sequential switch to send Math's and Pam's modulation through so that you can quickly wreck and change the routing of your pitch/control/modulation around the case very quickly. It encourages spontaneous finding of results and not keeping static while you explore your system sometimes. Depending on the one you get, you also get a new pitch or rhythm sequencer source to build a patch around.
-- DrFrunkensteen

@DrFrunkensteen The sequential switch mode is what I've been focused on using since I got CVilization a few weeks ago...so much fun. I have been messing around with sending the output of my Hydrasynth into a buffered mult and then taking the four outs from that into each of the inputs on CVilization and then routing each out to an input on my Cosmix mixer getting all sorts of interesting craziness not only by modifying the CVilization but also mixing in and out each of the inputs on Cosmix. I know I'm only scratching the sequential switch surface so to speak...

I'm interested in your comment about using it with Math's (which I have)...you are saying to route the output of Maths in to the sequential switch? Can you elaborate a little more on that?

JB

and unsurprisingly me too...
-- JimHowell1970

Not surprising. I based that signal flow partly on the ARP 2600's design. It's somewhat different, but that flow is very much part of what makes IT easy to work with.

-- Lugia

exactly!

I'd get a sequential switch to send Math's and Pam's modulation through so that you can quickly wreck and change the routing of your pitch/control/modulation around the case very quickly. It encourages spontaneous finding of results and not keeping static while you explore your system sometimes. Depending on the one you get, you also get a new pitch or rhythm sequencer source to build a patch around.

NI makes an incredible one. ALM also has the Boss Bow Two, highly recommend. For smaller footprints, PUSH by ST Modular is a 5 step sequential switch in 4HP! I personally have the Bizmuth chaotic signal router which is a little more esoteric. Guarantee adding a piece like this will give you results!

I've been planning out a matriarch expander for some time! I bought the small intellijel case too, mostly hoping to add utilities and a few envelopes. Just dug up this forum after I came up with what I think my final skiff will look like, and it seems like we have similar ideas on what to include!

Here's what I have now:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1694848.jpg

And here's what I'm thinking the final skiff will look like:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1772099.jpg

Maths is awesome, I use it for slew, pitch envelopes, and extra attenuverters all the time. Massive upgrade for the matriarch on it's own.

I'm hoping to use Pams, The EG's, and LPG's to generate some tempo sync'd goodness while leaving one voice to play around with on the keyboard. The Ladik ADSR's are listed as 45mm deep, and my case is listed at 45.5mm, so hopefully things end up fitting. Twin CV controllable envelopes will be fun for stereo drone patches.

Bi-Fold hopefully will add a bunch more timbers to Matriarch's base sound, seems like a no brainer.

Sloths also seems like an awesome modulation source to add, I've been trying to sum triangle waves and noise to get interesting swells but the sloths seems to do this better.

Couple questions:
Do you use your disting often? I know its very flexible but I am hesitant to incorporate menus and do no need see a great need for effects. If you think it's a lot to learn I may stay away from it.

Are you liking the sloths? The Pams and matriarch both have a lot of modulation generation capabilities, but it seems like the sloths has something unique and worth the HP even in the tiny case.

If you have any opinion on what you would include vs not I'd appreciate the input!