Meh. I was thinking modulation and glitchy drums. Could bump. I'm gonna keep working on it.

I also think mults are good when you have a bigger system and you want to get from one module to another using an intermediary mult without having to buy stupidly long cables.
-- greenfly

Can’t tell if joking or making a suggestion akin to buying a Mordax Data because of the pretty graphics

-- toodee

I don't know if I would have 10 mults but I understand why having more than one might be appealing. If I think about the star splitters I use, probably 3 are full with cables and 3 more are probably half full. I could see having 5 mults may be viable if you want to distribute cv / audio a bit more efficiently.

Generally it's about the trade-off of what the extra module gives you vs hp consumed so I have 3 one of which is passive. Thats more than enough for me.

You may be a person who likes to have 15'000 sound sources and filters, which would seem daft to me but I just want to say @toodee, that that's ok pet x

I also think mults are good when you have a bigger system and you want to get from one module to another using an intermediary mult without having to buy stupidly long cables.
-- greenfly

Can’t tell if joking or making a suggestion akin to buying a Mordax Data because of the pretty graphics

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Thread: First build

Hey there,

Im looking into building this over the next few months
ModularGrid Rack

Its small and full but after a fair amount of research and tinkering I think it does everything I'm looking for
which is

• Reasonably flexible single voice synth
  • can be expanded with guitar pedals which i currently own alot of
  • can run a guitar through for some exploration (using a external pre amp first to get to line level)
  • can be sequenced by opz, keystep and daw

I guess im just posting here because I presume alot of you are far more experienced and might catch something dumb or have some suggestions on how to improve.. one of the areas I'm fairly flexible is on the chronoblob as id like to get maybe some reverb in here too but I want a lot of control over delay

Should probably point out im not past going larger with this setup
ModularGrid Rack

money not really an issue, just happy to limit myself a little to keep it small.

I had a DB-01 and Digitakt before I started buying modules. Honestly, I think you should get the DB-01 and work with it, then see what you are still missing and want from modular. It will be expensive to build up modules that come close to what the DB-01 offers, and the DB-01 has three CV inputs (in addition to clock in/out and MIDI in/out) and a hot output, so it can be easily hooked up to a rack in future. Erica Synths does have a Bassline module (I suspect it shares much circuitry with the DB-01) but it lacks noise, synced LFO, and most importantly the seriously playable sequencer that really puts it into 303 territory. I know this is a modular forum and I should be talking up Eurorack, but sometimes the alternative is better.

Thanks a lot !
Too bad, I like the metro workflow so much ... I will have to make a choice and the answer will surely be: " i need to get them both"

Now available! See the new Magerit CANAL, a continuous variable state filter of 2 & 4 poles. It could be a large definition of this new VCF, but here we will explain why and what makes this module an unique filter.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/magerit-canal

https://www.magerit.es/canal

Nice :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I've been following on YT, listened through them all yesterday :) Good stuff!
Session 008 was mega restrained, I've not got that restraint!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Thanks a lot Garfield.
I think you have earned a break with all your kind words and time spent listening to people's music on MG :)

*Edit, there are a couple of new photos here https://www.wishbonebrewery.co.uk/2021/11/28/the-conflict-within/ though the writing is about business stuff.

Props for attempting to mediate a standard, @XODES. What is the decided PCB height (not faceplate) to accommodate both sizes? I’m away from my Intellijel system and digital caliper at the moment.
-- illiac

I actually just was too lazy to make 2 panel versions, and it looked like it solved a couple issues, like preventing the "wrong" version to be put in the box by error, or customers ordering something that wouldn't properly fit in their rack.

BTW, just like said in my previous post, dimensions for both the PCB and panel are the Intellijel ones. Everything is documented on their website :

https://intellijel.com/support/1u-technical-specifications/

Props for attempting to mediate a standard, @XODES. What is the decided PCB height (not faceplate) to accommodate both sizes? I’m away from my Intellijel system and digital caliper at the moment.

Actually the panel (and PCB) dimensions simply are based on Intellijel ones, and the major (or minor?) change is about the mounting holes that are open on the outsides. That's it. So there will be tiny gaps when used within PL cases, yet you can use screws on top AND bottom.

Recently, a couple of manufacturers apparently adopted this method : Synthrotek, Winterbloom, and EcoLab (for the latter, their 1U modules are not on Modulargrid yet, and these have been showcased on Instagram over the past few days).

Thank you so much for your comments! I love this community already! I think while you get lost in your research about modules etc it is good to have a reality check, which you definetely gave me! Also one has to be careful that GAS is not hitting, but I already learned my lessons buying and selling guitar pedals and have now just a handful which do the job.

First of all, modular synth are in my (very limited) opinion the place to live your creativity to the fullest (given enough space and money). Having that said, I would like to start out with something where I spend my 1500 - 2000 Euro/$ and have a system I can begin with exploring. You all make a good point about getting a bigger case and maybe Lugia is right that I shouldn't just copy what some person on YT does (well I liked the sound, but it might be that I will go some other way eventually). Also I get your point about the shiny LEDs on the NE stuff, I totally see that to be very annoying.

Also thank you sacguy71 for sharing your intellijel setup, looks interesting and I will get some inspiration. Might be as well that I just end up getting the DB-01 combined with my Digitakt. No, I think want to go Modular and explore this space!

Do you have any suggestions for must haves (modular-wise) in a setup that kinda has a DB-01 (303) character but also leaves room for some more weird and melodic stuff? I know thats very broad, but at this point I just wanna get some directions to do more research before I come up with a second version of my initial idea and eventually do my first buys. Great thing about modular is the possibility for endless expansion!

have you already bought this? or is it just a 'dream' rack - because it looks like a nightmare!

-- JimHowell1970

+1. I'm looking at this, and I have literally NO IDEA what some of this is doing in here. Like, SEVEN mults? And three are buffered? Unless you're splitting a single CV off to 16 separate VCOs, this is bonkers. Spendy bonkers, at that!

If this isn't a troll (and I'll give everyone 3:1 odds that it is), just delete this thing and start over, preferably AFTER studying other experienced users' builds beforehand. And I'd also suggest this: https://vcvrack.com/ It's a free and pretty spot-on Eurorack emulator, hundred of modules (some by the makers on here, in fact), and a patching system that works just like regular ol' Eurorack. Mind you, it likes FAST processors and LOADS of RAM to really cut loose, but when it's got those, it's an incredible way to see what and how things work in modular.

One other thing I would suggest: get a patchable synthesizer. This is the lane in between prepatched synths and fully modular ones. And thanks to Voldem...uh...Uli, Behringer reissued a 2600 for the rest of us unconnected, poor slobs. And it's actually VERY spot-on; I know this from 40+ years of futzing around with them, v.2 thru the present de facto v.5. Build quality is beefy, as well...bears NO resemblance to typical B. quality. But this is a really good learning choice, as I and loads of others from back in the day will state that the ARP 2600 was THE teaching synth, and the only reason it stopped being that is mainly due to ARP's infamous Avatar fiasco and general mismanagement that tanked them by 1981. Plus...it interconnects with Eurorack, so that when you're REALLY ready to build, the 2600 and the Eurorack "speak the same language", namely 1V/8va scaling and positive gate/triggers, and you can use the 2600 as a "core" device for a bigger modular.

Lastly, it's $650, and contains pretty much zero potential for adding anything "wrong". Several months with that, plus studying builds and maybe getting a copy of "Patch and Tweak" (which'll give you some REAL ideas about what modules do and how to get them to do that...and MORE) would be a good idea as well. But don't do what's shown above, for the love of god. Take the time to study, work out ideas, and work with a patchable synth, and you won't regret it in the end.

Provided, I'll state once more, that this isn't a trolling attempt.

-- Lugia

Yes, Lugia, I'm not trolling. And yes, Lugia, Chris probably has 16 VCOs (or more) and I probably will as well. He earns millions of dollars off of film scoring, of course he can afford all this.

Tbh, I'm kinda copying Christophe Beck. He's mad, like you guys! Also note that this is only Rack 1A out of 6 racks. And if it makes you feel better, imagine it without the 1u tiles. I'm starting to think I should've put those in Rack 1B instead. Also, I'm not actually sure about those mults on the left (Doepfer and 2hp). However the ones on the right, I'm sure. Feel free to check out all my racks if you want to know exactly what I'm trying to do, I'll make them all public now. Again, I'm a beginner, so go easy on me please.

Here's my reference: https://twitter.com/cbeckofficial/status/887059471356133376

I might not actually buy EVERYTHING he has. I'm just trying to study his style and see what improvements need to be made to fit MY style.

I don't think it was a bad shout by @rextable to have so many multiples. I know I have one Pams, and I normally have to mult each output using those star jacks to get copies of my signals. I have to admit I find it annoying and its very messy, It's generally cleaner when you just patch into mults and distribute from there. It's how I use mine in my one 1u row which tend to be my first choice even if it means losing the buffered mult for copying pitch.

There are some very useful sequencers in the O&C when running hemispheres. However I am finding more and more that the more recently released sequencers really do the leg work in creating complex and interesting variation in sequences with built in quantization that really make it unnecessary to buy specific dedicated modules to create variation in cv. My current goto sequencers are Bloom and Metropolix.

this user has left ModularGrid

Hi Garfield,

Thanks and no worries. I like Ground Control but I must admit that I’m still learning what it can do. It reminds me of a smaller and easier version of my WMD Metron sequencer. I did order the Erica Synths Black Sequencer to complement it and Rene in my travel cases since Erica Synths has a huge 20% off sale right now on most of their modules and I’m a fan of the Erica Synths modules in my system to use for the Doepfer 6u case. I figure that with four smaller cases, I can use each standalone or together for a larger setup as needs dictate.

Those are AUX inputs. A different-colored (black, here) collar around a jack is normally an output; jacks without that are generally inputs. Except here, for some weird reason. Annoying.

Also, it seems to me that this won't exactly "acid" because it's designed to do a lot of things the 303 wasn't. Ratcheting, for example. Instead of that, I would suggest this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/transistor-sounds-labs-stepper-acid This has the modulation outputs you want, plus it is...for all intents and purposes...an improved TB-303 sequencer with some extras. About the only thing it doesn't seem to have is a "random sequence" function (I might be wrong, though) to emulate the "take the batteries out" results.

The Metropolix is a great sequencer...but it shines best when doing Chris Franke-type sequencer manipulation. The Stepper Acid is a lot closer to what Larry Heard (aka Mr. Fingers) used on that very first ACIEEED track, "Washing Machine".

Hi Sacguy71,

Nice jam and test of your Endorphin.es - Queen of Pentacles! Ha, ha, you got quite some rhythm there :-) How do you like the Ground Control? It was in the beginning my first choice of sequencer but since they took I don't know... almost 2 years to release it, I went for the Vector from Five12, which I never regretted by the way.

By the way, please don't get angry or disappointed if I wouldn't reply any more to all your jams, that's not because I don't like your jams, it's the opposite, I really do like them however I have decided to soon reduce my time on modulargrid.net in the next few days to have more time for myself to experiment more with my modular system and try to make a few more jams. I have realised that over the last two-and-a-half-years that I have been (very) active here on this forum that I started to have less time left for myself and my modular system. I loved to motivate you and many others by my comments, at least I hoped my posts motivated you and I am sure that without my further help you will be doing great! :-) Though I will going to be less active here, I still will regularly look at the posts and here and there perhaps still create a new post or reply to a post however just not as intensive as I have done in the recent past. Of course I will continue creating review reports and make those available on my website for download.

This all shouldn't stop you from continuing creating great jams and post them here though ;-) Thank you very much for your contributions here and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Nice way from getting from that crackle sound to an almost kind of Tangerine Dream sound that yet turns into a modern piece of electronic music. Great transitions and beautifully done, one of your master pieces I believe! The rhythm around 4:00 is just great, the percussions there and the same for the drum that kicks in just before 5 minutes, it all just fits very well together, wow!

By the way, please don't get angry or disappointed if I wouldn't reply any more to all your jams, that's not because I don't like your jams, it's the opposite, I really do like them however I have decided to soon reduce my time on modulargrid.net in the next few days to have more time for myself to experiment more with my modular system and try to make a few more jams. I have realised that over the last two-and-a-half-years that I have been (very) active here on this forum that I started to have less time left for myself and my modular system. I loved to motivate you and many others by my comments, at least I hoped my posts motivated you and I am sure that without my further help you will be doing great! :-) Though I will going to be less active here, I still will regularly look at the posts and here and there perhaps still create a new post or reply to a post however just not as intensive as I have done in the recent past. Of course I will continue creating review reports and make those available on my website for download.

This all shouldn't stop you from continuing creating great jams and post them here though ;-) Thank you very much for your contributions here and kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: I am missing once and a while those beautiful pictures of your beautiful designed beer cans! :-)

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

One other point about Maths: everyone uses it because the alternatives involve taking up even more space (quite a bit, in fact, in Eurorack) and still won't exactly do what Maths is capable of.

I actually DO have some things that can work in the same way...one of them is an EG&G Model 175 "Universal Programmer", another is a JAS arbitrary waveform generator with all analog controllability, and the last isn't workable right now because I need a tech that's not scared off by restoring and modding analog computers, and I've got three Systron-Donner 3300s that need to be refurbed into one fully-working one with synth I/O capabilities.

The latter weighs about 60 lbs and is the general size of a bedroom TV. The EG&G is bigger than most 1970s stereo receivers. And the JAS is SO rare and SO fiddly, I can't recommend it to anyone who's not got a lot of EE chops or doesn't have a soopergenius tech on hand. If you can find one, that is.

This is why Maths gets used all the time. It's not a "sheeple" thing at all...it comes down to the fact that it can do so much in only 20 hp. And if you've not seen it, here's MN's page on it...with what's really just a "basic" overview of the module: https://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/maths Plus, it traces its lineage right back to Serge Tcherepnin and the famous Serge Dual Universal Slope Generator, so there's about 50 years of engineering and development there. Very hard to go wrong with that!

have you already bought this? or is it just a 'dream' rack - because it looks like a nightmare!

-- JimHowell1970

+1. I'm looking at this, and I have literally NO IDEA what some of this is doing in here. Like, SEVEN mults? And three are buffered? Unless you're splitting a single CV off to 16 separate VCOs, this is bonkers. Spendy bonkers, at that!

If this isn't a troll (and I'll give everyone 3:1 odds that it is), just delete this thing and start over, preferably AFTER studying other experienced users' builds beforehand. And I'd also suggest this: https://vcvrack.com/ It's a free and pretty spot-on Eurorack emulator, hundred of modules (some by the makers on here, in fact), and a patching system that works just like regular ol' Eurorack. Mind you, it likes FAST processors and LOADS of RAM to really cut loose, but when it's got those, it's an incredible way to see what and how things work in modular.

One other thing I would suggest: get a patchable synthesizer. This is the lane in between prepatched synths and fully modular ones. And thanks to Voldem...uh...Uli, Behringer reissued a 2600 for the rest of us unconnected, poor slobs. And it's actually VERY spot-on; I know this from 40+ years of futzing around with them, v.2 thru the present de facto v.5. Build quality is beefy, as well...bears NO resemblance to typical B. quality. But this is a really good learning choice, as I and loads of others from back in the day will state that the ARP 2600 was THE teaching synth, and the only reason it stopped being that is mainly due to ARP's infamous Avatar fiasco and general mismanagement that tanked them by 1981. Plus...it interconnects with Eurorack, so that when you're REALLY ready to build, the 2600 and the Eurorack "speak the same language", namely 1V/8va scaling and positive gate/triggers, and you can use the 2600 as a "core" device for a bigger modular.

Lastly, it's $650, and contains pretty much zero potential for adding anything "wrong". Several months with that, plus studying builds and maybe getting a copy of "Patch and Tweak" (which'll give you some REAL ideas about what modules do and how to get them to do that...and MORE) would be a good idea as well. But don't do what's shown above, for the love of god. Take the time to study, work out ideas, and work with a patchable synth, and you won't regret it in the end.

Provided, I'll state once more, that this isn't a trolling attempt.

Hi Mowse,

Wow 3 videos/jams, great work! :-) The first video provides a beautiful view over your rack-setup, lovely to watch that!

At your second jam you really getting started, great long stretched start into a fantastic track! I love that one :-)

But that's not all, no! You give us yet a third jam :-) Your rack at night! Lovely jam this is, a track that builds up the tension beautifully, this sounds superb!

By the way, please don't get angry or disappointed if I wouldn't reply any more to all your jams, that's not because I don't like your jams, it's the opposite, I really do like them however I have decided to soon reduce my time on modulargrid.net in the next few days to have more time for myself to experiment more with my modular system and try to make a few more jams. I have realised that over the last two-and-a-half-year that I have been (very) active here on this forum that I started to have less time left for myself and my modular system. I loved to motivate you and many others by my comments, at least I hoped my posts motivated you and I am sure that without my further help you will be doing great! :-) Though I will going to be less active here, I still will regularly look at the posts and here and there perhaps still create a new post or reply to a post however just not as intensive as I have done in the recent past. Of course I will continue creating review reports and make those available on my website for download.

Right...the idea they're working with is to develop a "universal" tile, something that works in both spaces and which can be screwed-down irrespective of hole spacings. If they can hit that mark...and I think they CAN...then they could make the tile dimensions open-source, allowing any manufacturer to use it. That would effectively end this ridiculous squabble; BOTH formats have very compelling modules, and I knew when I first heard that there was going to be this format split that it was going to cause problems...and it has. XODES is also working out the dimensions of a 3-row tile carrier that can handle both Intellijel and Pulplogic formats simultaneously.

I don't endorse this for the usual reasons: not every "influencer" on eBay is what I would call "authoritative", and just because they can build a dedicated rig in something the size of a Kleenex box does NOT mean that YOU can...or even moreso, SHOULD.

When Dieter Doepfer came out with the "beauty cases", he named them that for a reason. They're cute and all, but they don't have enough space to come up with a proper build...even a limited proper build in a lot of situations. What they're best at is to be used for "mission-specific" purposes, especially if you're pulling modules for that "mission" from a much larger system. They're LOUSY at being housing/power for full-on modular builds, though.

Secondly, I think I can run even odds on whether your first low-lighting gig with this build causes you to throw that thing against a club wall. The NE circuitry is good stuff...but the PANELS look like someone hurled up a stomachful of India ink and then poked at it with a dental pick to do the lettering. As of late, they ARE doing more sensible panels...but these earlier ones just look like hammered dogshit. Just try lowering the light in the room to typical venue levels, then try and patch/program that build above. You will go immediately berserk! Ain't kiddin'!

sacguy71 and I agree: get a bigger case for starters. And both of us would definitely suggest the Tiptop Mantis, which is quite portable (Tiptop even sells a dedicated gigbag for it!). And another good reason for this is:

Intellijel Palette 62 = 62 hp 3U, 62 hp 1U, powered (1200mA on the 12s, 500 mA on the 5) = $299

Tiptop Mantis = 208 hp total (2 x 104hp), powered (3000mA +12V, 1100 mA -12V, 300mA 5V) = $335

Also, not only does the Mantis make a lot more sense, Tiptop has a case coupler for the Mantis line...meaning that when it's time, you can slap a second Mantis onto the first one. Put the upper one almost straight-up, and the lower on its angled "feet", and you get excellent ergonomics. With a cab like that, you can keep extending the synth's module complement pretty painlessly. Use the Palette 62, and you're sort of stuck in that regard.

One other point about a bigger case...bigger case is friendlier to bigger modules, and if you intend to play this AND your axe at the same time, bigger is better. You sure as hell don't want to be twiddling tiny controls while playing...you want your major controls (VCF cutoff and resonance especially, as well as your main mixer) to have BIG knobs, stuff you can just reach out and GRAB without worrying if that's the VCF cutoff or something you'd not want to change. Better still, with a bigger cab you could add a CV faderbank for "immediate" controls without worrying about what you'd just grabbed in amongst all of those cables and knobs.

Also...who's to say that you WON'T want to plug the guitar into the synth? Eventually, that curiosity WILL hit you...and if there's no room for a proper input preamp + envelope follower (see the Doepfer A-119...probably the most popular of these), this ain't gonna happen. Again, this is part of the YT influencer problem...they aren't YOU, they don't have any idea of what YOU want to create, they have no idea of where YOU might want to go next, they're just faces on a screen that don't interact and which often have a (stated or, annoyingly, NOT stated) vested interest with the thing they're shoving in the camera. Create YOUR instrument...not copy someone else's...and it will do what YOU want. And for help, there's this joint right here, cuz we're about the farthest thing from "noninteractive" as it gets!

final nail> -- Lugia

As I understand it, PL boards adhere to a taller standard than will fit within the Intellijel standard. You can go Intellijel to PL, but not vice versa.

Wasp VCFs are great for leadlines...they have a very cutting sound that rips right thru the mix. Feed that something that's harmonic-rich (sawtooth, perhaps) and it'll shriek and yowl like the best.

The Three Sisters, though, is a different critter altogether. What it is is something between a bandpass filter and a formant-emphasis filter, which is useful for synthetic vocal sounds, which are usually the vowels as they contain all of the fundamental and formant spectra. But if it's not being produced (the listing doesn't show that as it's manufacturer-locked), there IS an alternative: https://www.synthrotek.com/limaflo-motomouth-formant-filter-eurorack/ Synthrotek's distributing these now, which I and others might consider problematic, but that's more or less the only game in town that'll get you into the Three Sisters turf.

Most external gear can cope with euro level - just turn the mixer down - if you have it at full volume it probably will clip - but start without a output module - if it clips then try a pair of passsive attenuators - and if they still clip or you NEED balanced outputs then buy an output module

the argument about mults was mostly about the fact that you don't need buffered ones for anything other than v/oct - but they were a bit excessive - passive mults are cheaper and don't take power headers - trying to stop you spending money on stuff you definitely don't need

the expander for zadar is very useful - more modulation inputs and you can mute the envelopes both of which are pretty handy

as for Maths - it's often left out by people who are willfully defiant due to the fact that it's popular - and as others have said - experience of fixed-architecture synths is really not as applicable to modular synthesis as it would seem - it's great for patching basic east coast style mono-synths and that's about it

personally I'd want more vcas and a matrix mixer

if you want to see my rack - look for this one : All My Eurorack includes DIY backlog and pre-orders, etc if it's upside down it's not there yet!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

maybe start just with a few modules and fill space in with blank panels?

Erm, I'm confused. Either you miss-typed or I'm missing something. The PanMix IS Euro level? Surely that means I DO need a drop it down to line level before hitting external gear. No?
-- rextable

There have been quite a few discussions about the necessity of euro-to-line output modules in beginner rack posts on this forum over the past year or two. In general, most people don't need them. I've been at this for a few years, and I still don't use one. I just monitor levels into external gear closely. You can take a look at my rack and those of the other commenters by clicking on their user name. Some users have invested in output modules, many haven't. I do use a Strymon AA.1 for an effects pedal send/return, but otherwise I haven't needed a dedicated output for recording, etc.

Welcome and I just built a mobile techno focused system with drums, bass and so forth in a 4u Intellijel Palette case. So far it works great. Here is what I put together to help you as a guideline:

ModularGrid Rack

First, some advice.

Ditch the larger Desmodus Versio and get the smaller Happy Nerding FX Aid unless you plan on a larger case. Also get rid of the Clep Diaz, Mimetic Digitalis, Horologic Solum, and 2HP LFO. Get a Pamela New Workout instead as it takes up less space, has 8 triggers and greatest clock in eurorack and good euclidian sequencer plus logic and random options for modular and great for drums.

Get a decent quad VCA and thank me later as well. I know that you like Noise Engineering but their modules tend to be on the larger side and not idea for a small case. I also recommend a larger mobile case like Intellijel 7u case that is still portable or a Tiptop Mantis case.

This is something I would like to see IF people making listings can't be bothered to tell which format their tiles are in the original listings. Some do...you see some listings that clearly note that they're Intellijel format or Pulplogic format. And then, quite a few don't.

Frankly, what I would prefer to see is something like XODES's solution: a universal-sized tile panel with large U-cuts for screws instead of the little holes one normally sees. They did that right! If this could become the de facto tile panel standard, not only would it be convenient, it would put the final nail in this tile format dispute.

I had a few Erica Synths modules and big 20% discount this week made it great time to finish my Erica focused rack to fill my empty Doepfer 6u case to use with the 4u palette Endorphin.es case and my other two small cases. My build so far:

ModularGrid Rack

I already had an extra Pamela New Workout, Maths and WMD attenuator and the Black Wavetable oscillator and Polivoks filter so now can work as a great supplement or stand alone. Sweet spot for small rigs is two rows of 84-104HP to get basics needed (clocks, sequencer, VCA, attenuators, mixers, etc). Any smaller than that you miss the key essentials.

Thoughts?

I don't know, man... 10 buffered mults? Two Pam's?
The folks that commented before are definitely pointing you in the right direction, especially for a case this size. Everyone is going to do this modular thing differently, for sure, but I can't imagine this is the best use of the limited space you are giving yourself. Are you planning on using the PNWs as your main sequencer, or do you have something external to sequence pitch more effectively?
I'm not a Maths disciple, but since you brought it up twice, it is excellent as Jim said for grasping and accessing the fundamentals of MODULAR synthesis. You may have years of experience with synthesis, but trying to cram all of the functionality of a fixed architecture synth into the small euro case you have selected is very difficult (impossible?), hence the Maths love. Need a mixer? Need a subharmonic generator? Need to attenuvert four different envelopes? Need a basic logic function? Need to create a weird shifting bouncing ball envelope? Maths... It doesn't have to be a complex signal chain. It just gives you all of the stuff you are ultimately going to need more than 10 buffered mults.
The PanMix is euro level. You probably won't need an external output module.
Have fun and good luck!

-- farkas

Forget the mults - bloody hell :-D

Version 1.2

ModularGrid Rack

Mults are gone, Freak is gone, 8HP of space to grow into.

Erm, I'm confused. Either you miss-typed or I'm missing something. The PanMix IS Euro level? Surely that means I DO need a drop it down to line level before hitting external gear. No? That was the idea behind the PAnMix and Cockpit combo. My intention was to use the PanMix to for things that don't need to be panned hard left and right by default (eg Rample and Plaits) and then use the Cockpit as a stereo summing mixer for all the effects.

Assuming I'm right about the PanMix, really, between it, the Cockpit (plugged into the Intellijel case output and the additional Mosaic output, the routing options are very flexible.

For all conventional sequencing duties I have a Keystep Pro. I have a Keylab MkII for control and expression purposes. I also have a midi foot pedal by DataLooper that I plan to plug into the Intellijel case midi input. Had I mentioned that before this case might have made a little more sense haha :-)

The two PAms and the O_C are there solely to create and mess around with tempo-locked gates and pitch-quantised self-modulating modulation sources - many of which will be required bring this case to life. If you factor in the number of modules in this case that require clock and pitch and time locked CV and gates, my choice of modulation sources makes sense

... I reckon anyway :-)

I don't know, man... 10 buffered mults? Two Pam's?
The folks that commented before are definitely pointing you in the right direction, especially for a case this size. Everyone is going to do this modular thing differently, for sure, but I can't imagine this is the best use of the limited space you are giving yourself. Are you planning on using the PNWs as your main sequencer, or do you have something external to sequence pitch more effectively?
I'm not a Maths disciple, but since you brought it up twice, it is excellent as Jim said for grasping and accessing the fundamentals of MODULAR synthesis. You may have years of experience with synthesis, but trying to cram all of the functionality of a fixed architecture synth into the small euro case you have selected is very difficult (impossible?), hence the Maths love. Need a mixer? Need a subharmonic generator? Need to attenuvert four different envelopes? Need a basic logic function? Need to create a weird shifting bouncing ball envelope? Maths... It doesn't have to be a complex signal chain. It just gives you all of the stuff you are ultimately going to need more than 10 buffered mults.
The PanMix is euro level. You probably won't need an external output module.
Have fun and good luck!

Hi,

I m thinking of buying a metropolix. I mainly do acid, and I intend to use it mainly to sequence my erica synth bassline (+ another voice).

Is there a way to use one of the auxiliary outputs to generate accents?

Thanks !

Salad.

So I am recently diving into the whole modular synth world and man, its cool! But also quite overwhelming.
I hope I can get some advice from you so that I don't throw away my money onto some fantasy that cannot work out.

Let me give you some background so that you better understand where I would like to go with this. I am a guitarist, play in a band and love atmospheric stuff with delay/reverb pedals and also hard riffs with a fuzz. Before you think I am looking for something where I can plug my guitar in, thats not the case. I want to have my own additional instrument with which I can create music, maybe in a band setting, maybe just by myself, but it should be something with which I could perform live. A few month back I bought my first desktop synth (Behringer Crave) and a Digitakt (love it and it would definitely be my drummachine).

When you look at the rack I put together it looks a lot like the one from Ricky Tinez in one of his videos. Thing is, I love these Noise Engineering modules already! So what do I want? Like I said, it should be able to perform live or in a jam. Second, I want something that can be hard (strong bass, a bit 303 style) but also sometimes melodic, with some melancholic atmosphere. I also was thinking about the size and I understand that 4U 62 HP is rather small and I know you will tell me to go bigger, but keep in mind that I want to be able to bring this thing around. And I am a minimalist personality-wise ;)

As a side note, before I started looking into modular synths I almost bought the Erica Synth Bassline because damn that thing has a great sound. If I could have something in this direction with a bit more weird stuff going on when I want to I think I found my dream instrument.

Anyways, your help and advice is so much appreciated!!

That is the current setup and I am happy to throw things out or replace them with something crucial that is missing. The order is not really fixed here and is an issue I approach once I have the core moduls I need in it.
alt text

lose all the output tiles - so many is pointless - 1 may be too many - but that is crazy

a way to play it - midi->cv/sequencer etc

patience - what are you missing?

better utilities - too many mults - no vcas!!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I tested the 1u Endorphin.es compressor and it is good so far and love the mutes. I wanted the 1u cockpit mixer but it is not available yet anyplace. Maybe later on. I did add a Ladik dual delay and micro O&C to the build once they arrive:

ModularGrid Rack

I have a Cockpit 2 mixer in my Endorphin.es Shuttle System that will be used in the future with this palette travel case. With Furthrrrr Generator and Acid Lab Chainsaw that gives me two voices plus the seven drum voices on the Queen of Pentacles.

Such a massive drum synth in small package

Loving the small mobile setup and can get pumping dance grooves easily.

Yup I’ve been on the hunt for over year for Three Sisters and gave up. Besides the Wasp is less expensive, smaller size and sounds massive.

Thanks for that :) I've been pulling this together for a week or so, from the fairly random noise and filter ping effects to working on the beats and getting away from the 4-on-the-floor structure I too easily drop into, then figuring out places in the rack I could 'perform' with it. I think I managed to give it a beginning and an end and the annoying middle-fake-end ;-)

I've also been interested in Three Sisters.
-- new_moon

Three Sisters, like Just Friends and W/, is currently unobtainable, unless you pay well above list price for a second-hand one. There are lots of choices of filters; again, it comes down to your taste.

BTW

Does anyone know whether the main L/R output on the PanMix is line level or Eurorack level? I'm hoping/expecting it to be Eurorack level so I can plug it into the Cockpit or Mosaic output module.

Re the mults:

Short version; I like mults. The end.

Long version; I really really really really reeeeeeally want to avoid stackable cables or any other cable-based means of multiplying where possible. I find them to be very messy and reckon they're just asking to get broken, or to break the things they're plugged into if knocked. No doubt, they'll still end up being used here and there.

In any event, I can always take the mults out to make space, but I can't add them in if my case is full.

Re the Pams and efficiency:

Agreed - inefficient... And somewhat fiddly in use. The same can be said for the O_C. But they are all there for good reason.

Maximum efficiency at this stage is not my aim. Packing in all the functionality I'm inspired to experiment with, is. Between the Keystep Pro, two Pams, O_C, Zadar and the various utils, I've pretty much got that covered. Logic, Euclidean rhythms, Turing machine stuff, quantization, complex envelopes etc. It's all in there somewhere and it fits in the case with room to spare. The only small-footprint multi-function module I'm aware of that comes anywhere close to the versatility and footprint of the Pams (other than the O_C) is the Disting EX. But the Disting in all its incarnations - unlike the O_C and Pams - is a module that I have not found inspiring.

From what I've read and seen in the intertubez, two Pams synced together equals a sum far greater than its parts. Together they can do more stuff that I wanna do than any other module combination in the same square-footage. I suppose, following that logic, I should swap them out for two more O_Cs (which are even more powerful). But intuition told me that would be unwise. As and when I've figured out my workflow; what functions I want more accessible and which ones not, I can purchase dedicated modules to cater for those needs.

This design has been settled upon after a great deal of thought and research. I have also considered availability of stock. For example, The ever-so-slightly-more compact panning VCA solution Lucia suggested in an earlier incarnation of this design uses modules that seem to be completely unavailable at the time of writing this. The PanMix is only 1HP larger and slightly less flexible. For this same reason I have also since removed the the Freak filter. I just can't find anywhere with any stock.

As a starting point for trying stuff out, this design covers everything I want - albeit in a convoluted way. The next step is to see how it works in the real world and go form there. In any event, Pams is an eternally popular module. I'm sure there will be no problems selling it on if I deem one of them unnecessary.

Re Maths:

.......... .............

Is this some weird running Earorack joke?

Seriously though, with decades of experience with synthesizers, audio processing and signal routing under my belt, I'm no stranger to creating complex modulated patches and signal chains. In other words, I'm somewhat past learning the fundamentals of synthesis. Thus Maths - in the context of this case layout and intended purpose - makes no sense to me. As a learning tool, what's here caters far better to the gaps in my knowledge and methods of composition I have yet to try. If and when I change this design or get a bigger case, sure - I'll get a Maths. :-)

Here endeth the essay

PS I have no idea why half of this post in in italics nor can I figure out how to fix it. Soz :-{

I'm amazed by how helpful everyone here is. Thank you very much.

quadratt is a quad attenuator - not a vca - veils is an excellent choice btw - not only is it actually a voltage controlled amplifier - most vcas are technically voltage controlled attenuators (in that their maximum gain is 1) - it has so much potential gain that it can be used to amplify external signals up to modular levels...

The recent revision of Veils is currently unavailable (a worldwide chip shortage is affecting the industry and others as well), but fresh supplies are expected in the next few months.

Very helpful. Particularly for handling external signals which is something I'd like to do eventually.

I really think you're going to want a filter.

Wasp seems like a good choice. I've also been interested in Three Sisters. I'm guessing this is a one-or-the-other sort of thing at this stage?

Hot damn...OK, here's what I cooked up

This is incredibly nice of you, thanks so much for putting this together.

OK...this got upped by me into a 7U Intellijel Performance cab, because trying to do what you wanted here definitely requires more space.

I'm convinced I need more space lol. Looking at a 9U Doepfer A-100 as I like the look and don't expect this to ever leave my studio. I need to spend some time studying at the individual modules you've included but thank you so much for laying them out. I suspect I'll be back with questions :)

Seconding this request. I think at this point both formats have a ton of options. Kinda tricky to navigate as is.