Hiya Garfield,

Ah that's great. I hope you enjoyed your holiday! No worries about time to reply, but I'm glad you found it!

The effect at 5:16 is the minibrute's LFO being applied to the filter cutoff (the LFO is tempo-synced and I think this was the triangle). Yes that's the onboard filter of the Minibrute 2s. It's got a really lovely sound. Then adjusting the LFO rate to get some vari-speed wub wubs :)

I've been exploring different genres, and did a more ambient livestream recently. I'm still getting to know my modular rig, and I've always liked working in a range of tempos and style from slow to fast and inbetween. Dub does have a special place in my heart though, so I'm sure there will be more when the mood strikes. Thanks as always for listening!
All best, Ryan

this user has left ModularGrid

If you can afford it get a Doepfer Monster case. I have mine half full and plan to buy another one. They have tons of space for larger modules, case covers and handles and solid power supplies for hungry modules. Plus you can stack and connect them as you grow. When I started, I had a Doepfer A100 Basic system that was half full of Doepfer A100 modules and 6U case that I quickly outgrew. Getting a monster Doepfer case was a great decision for me as I love modular and bought a ton of modules in the past year.

Mimeophon and Happy Nerding FX Aid are my favorite effects modules in my setups. Powerful and sound incredible.
I can get amazing textures that range from basic delays to warped drones from space.

Hi @Ziqal, do you have any plans of adding a TRS MIDI input or an expansion, even via pins on the back, in order to take advantage of the 24 voice polyphony fully? Preset chords isn't going to cut it, that's why I'm asking.
-- ParanormalPatroler

Hi, this is not planned for this version of the module.

Hi @Ziqal, do you have any plans of adding a TRS MIDI input or an expansion, even via pins on the back, in order to take advantage of the 24 voice polyphony fully? Preset chords isn't going to cut it, that's why I'm asking.

Another Wave Swarm test, this time drenching it in reverb from both the ALA Typhoon and the Desmodus Versio.

Drums are Squid Sample and Basimilus into Mimeophon, which is doing double duty with delay and some reverb.

It is a very interesting question and, as often, there is no universal answer: hence all the pleasure and interest of the modular synthesizer.

In my case, on about fifty modules, I use only 3 small modules strictly dedicated to effects: 2hp Verb, Pico DSP and Happy Nerding FX Aid (4hp version). I have to add the Monsoon (a Clouds clone with the Parasites firmware) reverb and the possibility to use sometimes the Disting mk4.

Why? Because I try to preserve as much as possible the nature, the transients and the texture of the sounds: the quality of the sound sources in a modular was from the beginning, and actually stays for me the main attraction next to the possibilities of CV of course...

So my most frequent use of effects remains the positioning in the mix, as one would use commonly a filter for example.

On the other hand, when I think of 'effect', I more often associate it with a deeper mutation of the sound such as the granularization of a Nebulae, or the metamorphosis by a Morphagene.

Pushing to the extreme, I would say that it is the whole modular that I conceive as a special effect for the sound: just like cinema is not theater and could even be viewed as a special effect versus the theater! (Think about Georges Méliès).

My philosophy of modular is not to try to reproduce what traditional synthesizers would do. In the same way that a sampler should not try to imitate an acoustic instrument just because it could.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Hi! In my experience, multi-effect modules were a good way to learn about what works and what doesn’t. Right now I’m only going into the DAW for recording and finishing the stereo mixes with a little EQ and compression. Maybe consider starting with a good multi-effect like FX Aid or Erica Synths’ Black Hole DSP 2. There are pluses and minuses to both but are extremely versatile and the Black Hole just sounds terrific to me. FX has a lot of menus and downloads, so it’s a bit to manage, but it’s worth having. You might also look into Noise Engineering’s Versio series, because those don’t have presets, so you can tailor your effect from the ground up. And, you can buy one from the series and still download all the effects available. A different take on multi-effects. And if you want to hit the DAW, Noise has free plugins now. I have not been wowed by Beads/Clouds particular angle on effect synthesis, but I have heard great things out of that product line, so if you dig that workflow, you might love those. Everything I’ve mentioned sounds amazing.

Hello,

let me introduce you to our brand new released DIMENSION Wavetable oscillator.

The DIMENSION is a compact 1OHP but full power Wavetable 24 voices stereo oscillator. it is compatible with Serum wavetable and allow quick browse of imensity of wavetable available everywhere for computer software wavetable synthesisers. It reproduce and process wavetables in full quality 32bit 44,1KHz

We are currently taking pre-orders till 15 November after wish we enter production phase.

The module in developpment from more than 2 years is in beta test from 6 months now and is hardware and firmware ready to fly.

Have a look here for more > www.ziqal.com/dimension

Cheers, ZIQAL

My thinking was similar to OP's. I have a good delay/reverb pedal and a couple of Elektron boxes (A4, Digitakt) that, in addition to supplying percussion and sequencing, can take stereo input (or dual mono) and apply effects and panning. The one in-rack effect I have is Sarajewo, because the BBD sound is hard to approximate, and it offers the possibility of customizing the feedback loop. Using the T1 and T2 taps also gives a reverb-like effect. I'm keeping an eye on granular options but no purchases so far.

shifty will not give you paraphony!!! it is a shift register - 1 cv and 1 gate in, for example, when the gate goes high and there are no notes in the system the note will be sent to output 1, when the gate goes high again the original note will be moved to output 2 and the new note (whatever is at the cv input) will be sent to output 1, when the gate goes high again the original note will be sent to output 3 etc

the last iteration looks better - I think it's a really good idea to ditch the paraphony at least in a 1st case - in order to reduce complexity - if you still want polyphony/paraphony then you may find a digital polyphonic keyboard works quite well alongside a modular

dtm (which you keep calling by it's old name before moog sued - cp3) is a mixer not a filter

I don't think it's a great idea to think in such rigid terms about what things do... rings has some great bass tones in it... and I'm sure those instruo modules can do some nice leads!

if you are going to use a keytep pro as your primary 'way to play' then you might find you don't need a midi->cv module...

I'd go slowly though and pick 4 or 5 of the modules that you think would play well together and get those to start with adn learn them inside out before getting anymore - you will probably change 30%+ of what you have here once you

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Wow. That sounds incredible! I imagine that you will have endless fun with your Blue Marvin.

Hi Gumbo23,

Thanks a lot for the AJH - Wave Swarm module, wasn't aware of this module yet. Thanks to your demo, I am now fully aware of it :-) Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hey Garfield - it was recommended by my local eurorack shop, and so far is doing what I wanted it to. I have done a more focused test which I'll upload soon. For me it really works best with plenty of reverb, so I have it running through both the Typhoon and the Desmodus Versio. With some added modulation it really comes to life.

yes midi->cv & make sure it specifies that it handles midi clock - some just do pitch and gate

mutant brain / ocd (external original version of mutant brain) and befaco midi thing may be worth looking at

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Interesting post, thanks! Question: Panharmonium is a pass-through in the video above until around 9 minutes yes?

• If I understood you correctly, yes, the Pan is doing nothing until later in the video.

I recently got Wave Swarm hoping it would be a way to get thickened stereo versions of any wave I throw at it yet. So far I've only tried it on my smaller system with headphones and I'm not blown away by the results. In the next few days I'll get to try it on my bigger system via monitors and I'm hoping I'll hear a more positive and more noticeable difference.

• I've not done enough with it yet, but I feel I'm getting subtle versions of what you describe. But the difference between the raw oscillator and the 'swarmed' version is fantastic. But it's not super wide stereo. I just wanted to thicken up the TsL in particular, without having to buy a CsL or similar. That said, I have a Castor & Pollux on order, and hope the Swarm will give that more thickness.

What I have heard so far is a clear sound which I think would be described as "multi-oscillator detune phase interference" which is common to the "supersaw" sounds we've all heard. What I haven't heard yet (and am hoping to) is stereo width and a strong illusion of supersaw-like sounds given (nearly) any input wave.

• I'm wondering if the Acid Rain chainsaw might be better for the pure supersaw effect. I have a lot of digital oscillators, so wanted to get more fatness in my analogue sound sources.

Thanks for the post. If I have any new insights / learnings from my Wave Swarm I'll circle back with those.

• Great - I would appreciate any feedback from your explorations!

-- nickgreenberg

Funny you should ask this question because I'm currently rethinking my FX setup. I have the FX Aid XL and Milky Way for eurorack multi-effects, and haven't been 100% happy with the results. I'm also not a big fan of Clouds as an effect. A lot of that probably comes down to me and my creativity, as I have heard good results from all of those in demos. I do have the 4ms Dual Looping Delay and it is more of an instrument than an effect, and the Qu-Bit Data Bender which is pretty unique in what it does, so I'm happy with those. I also run my signal through some guitar effect pedals (most notably EHX Oceans 11, Warm Audio Jet Phaser, and Orange Kongpressor) with a Strymon AA.1, and prefer that route to the in-rack effects I currently have.
I think I would prefer something like the Springray that Garfield mentioned or Erica Black Spring Reverb as well as an analog BBD like the Pittsburgh or XAOC Sarajewo (expensive!) for the type of sound I usually aim for. I don't really use any plug-ins/DAW effects.
The one benefit of euro FX that I take advantage of is cv control over delay feedback for dub style swells, but I'm mostly hands-on, preferring to adjust effects on the fly.
I'll be watching this thread to see what others are doing.

I'm hoping to use the MIDI clock (coming from TASCAM model 12 mixer/recorder) as my Master Clock. I'm trying to control all my gear (Minilogue XD, SQ1, Boomerang Looper) along with my eurorack so everything is on the same time. Plus when I go back to record additional tracks (on Tascam model 12) I want to know that I'm running from the same reliable clock from my mixer/recorder so there's no timing issues. I got a MIDI box (1 in: 4 out) and it works great to multiply the MIDI signal from the Tascam Model 12, to all the (non eurorack) gear but.... What is the simplest way to get a good midi clock from my mixer to eurorack. Is there a simple adapter or do I need to spend a couple hundred on a midi to cv converter module. I would probably be going into a (4ms quad clock distributor module) as my main-starting eurorack clock divider/distributer.

Any comments or wisdom appreciated!

That sounds great! Gotta love new-synth-day. I’m not keen on some of the Behringer drama, but these ARP clones do sound very good and you can’t argue with the “bang for the buck” factor. Looking forward to more!

Loads of good stuff there. You've already decided to go slow on the Blck_Noir so you have time to see if it's really needed. I just watched the two-hour video on the Neóni, and even though I don't intend to get one, it was really quite informative and gave me many good ideas to take back to my own complex oscillator (Brenso). Best of luck with your acquisitions and learning!

Hello All,

I recently received the Behringer 2600 Blue Marvin and wanted to share with you my first impression on this Blue Marvin:

It starts with just the dry sound from the Blue Marvin, using only the 2600's reverb at about 20%. Then around 1:05 I start to screw up the sound more and more, while as from about 1:30 adding external effects (see below for details) and at about 2:45 the sound is totally screwed ;-) All done with the 2600. Then slowly afterwards trying to get back to the original sound (a bit after 4:00) though still with the external effects.

Other than a MIDI keyboard and the following external effects, only the B. 2600 Blue Marvin has been used to produce those sounds:
- Reverb by Source Audio - Ventris Dual Reverb (E-Hall reverb with Swell reverb)
- Delay by Electro-Harmonix - Grand Canyon (tape delay with stereo ping-pong effect)
- Leslie effect by Neo Instruments - Ventilator II

Thank you very much for listening and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Nicolas,

I am particular happy with my Intellijel - Springray2 module, a real analogue spring reverb that gives you the opportunity to connect up till 3 (three) spring tanks. I am using the small and the medium one, both are great in their ways, the medium one is a little more subtle compared to the small one.

I don't have the Make Noise - Mimeophon yet but had a chance to test it, and this is a great delay and looper module, very creative patches are possible with this module.

Good look for the search of some good FX modules and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Gumbo23,

Thanks a lot for the AJH - Wave Swarm module, wasn't aware of this module yet. Thanks to your demo, I am now fully aware of it :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

glad this helped -- hope you got the sound you were looking for!

I ditched the paraphonic analog synth idea and took your advice to leave space :-)

ModularGrid Rack

• x2 intruo modules + CP3 filter + nano filter = voice for bass and general analog shizle

• rings + Beads = modern digital voice and/or sound mangling.

• DOT + Rample + Qmix = drums/percussion/stereo-sample-playback voice

• top right corner (UPE, Zagrzeb and Cockpit modules) = master section connected directly to the Intellijel case's built in outputs.

• Two further line level inputs and outputs along the top + Qmix = second bus for external FX loop or sub mix outs.

• Morphogene = further sound mangling

• Main sequencer will be an Arturia Keystep Pro

• Everything from Pams all the way to Disting Mk4 = utilities and control

Interesting post, thanks! Question: Panharmonium is a pass-through in the video above until around 9 minutes yes?

I recently got Wave Swarm hoping it would be a way to get thickened stereo versions of any wave I throw at it yet. So far I've only tried it on my smaller system with headphones and I'm not blown away by the results. In the next few days I'll get to try it on my bigger system via monitors and I'm hoping I'll hear a more positive and more noticeable difference.

What I have heard so far is a clear sound which I think would be described as "multi-oscillator detune phase interference" which is common to the "supersaw" sounds we've all heard. What I haven't heard yet (and am hoping to) is stereo width and a strong illusion of supersaw-like sounds given (nearly) any input wave.

Thanks for the post. If I have any new insights / learnings from my Wave Swarm I'll circle back with those.

You might consider Instruo Ts-l
-- plragde

I played with the Instruo stuff on VCV Rack and I feel happy with this plan:
ModularGrid Rack

Hello,

I'm now several months into modular and feel like I have a good rig and decent understanding of my modules.

As I think about future adds, I'm thinking about FX and am wondering about other MG users:

-- what are your favorite Eurorack FX modules and why?
-- do you prefer to do most of your FX in Eurorack, in other hardware, or in the DAW and why?

To date, I've leaned away from Eurorack FX thinking:
-- they may be more expensive and maybe less good than alternatives I have in software
-- I don't see a big need for CV over FX parameters or FX channels (such as parallel or send/return paths)
-- I've mainly aimed for having a bit of "finishing FX" in my rig such as EQ and reverb: "end of chain" stuff to polish the modular sound somewhat so that I don't HAVE to link my modular system to software if I don't want to

I thought I'd ask around and see if I'm perhaps missing some great Eurorack FX units or setups.

Thanks for your ideas!

Nicholas

Right, have made considerable compromises for the sake of being able to play actual paraphonic chords actually on an actual keyboard (the whole reason those three Instrou oscs are there in the first place).

ModularGrid Rack

Rings was a good shout - thanks. I do prefer the sound of Elements but Rings will have to do. The version of Rings I've chosen - just so it'll all fit - looks like it might be somewhat of an ergonomic compromise compared to the original. Does anyone have any experience with this module?

If I give up on the paraphonic-chord-playing-on-a-keyboard-like-a-regular-hoomon idea, I could ditch the Shifty and one of the Instrou modules - which would free up a huuuge chasm of HP and make life far more simple. :-P

Oh to paraphony or not to paraphony...

On the upside, I did manage to fit in a Disting Mk4 which solves - among other things - the lack of basic effects.

Here's a list of the gear OP mentioned:
Intellijel Rubicon2
Joranalogue filter8
Intellijel quadvca
Xaoc batumi
Make noise maths
Intellijel dual adsr
Hexinverter mutant brain
Disting EX

I have all of those modules except the Hexinverter and Disting EX. They are very tasty indeed.

Some considerations when you get your NEXT round of funding:

1. Buy the Poti expander for the Batumi. It gives you front panel access to a lot more features and is worth it (3HP)
  2. Buy a second VCO (doesn't have to be a Rubicon) for stacking voices, adding subs, audio-rate effects, sync, etc.
  3. A noise module would go well. They are often paired with sample & hold circuits... which is also useful.
  4. A small DC-coupled mixer module. The Maths can mix... but a dedicated 3:1 or 4:1 mixer will free up the Maths for better functions.
  5. A simple sequencer that has at least a clock and reset input. 8 or 16 steps should be fine. Think of something under $200. Sequencers are for more than just playing notes. You might also like something like an Ornaments & Crime (micro) that can handle simple sequencing duties, or quantizing, etc.

I can think of a lot more modules to have fun with. But those would be high up on my list.

I'm guessing you are intending to use the rample for percussion and then have 2 voices - the instruo oscs (as 1 voice) and the atom (which if it was me I would replace with a mutable rings - which would reduce the trimmers and improve ergonomics)

not sure I would want 3 identical oscillators either - I can see the point of 2, fat detuned bassline, but you could easily drop one and then fit in an effects unit such as fx aid xl (variety and ergonomics again!) whic would address your point 1

-- JimHowell1970

I want to play 3-tone paraphonic chords on a keyboard...... And as I type this I realise there's no way for me to allocate the notes. Bugger! I knew I had Intellijel's Shifty module in there for a reason. Where am I gonna fit that

Hmmmm, back to the drawing board.....

You are welcome glad to help. I have a large 14u MDLR case and love it but that thing weighs even more than the Doepfer monster case and not as portable since it is made of solid wood. I like how you can stack Doepfer monster cases and daisy chain them together for a massive wall of modular if you want to expand or take just the base Monster case with 300HP of modules to a jam or show. I put my mixers and sequencers in the base monster case and that makes it very easy to control my modular system.

Thanks Lugia and Sacguy71 I did check out Thomann regarding the doepfer case and I did notice the difference in price I did also find a large custom made wooden case with a tip top power supply for just over a 1000 but tbh I do like the look of the doepfer cases they just seem solid and well made

A quick and dirty test of the AJH Wave Swarm. I'm running it through a number of oscillators - Instruō TšL, Xaoc Devices Odessa, Mutable Instruments Plaits and Rings. Loving this guy so far. It does exactly what I hoped for in thickening up the sound and giving it some movement. It can be brutal too, as you'll hear, but in the sweet spots it's huge and rich. It solved a problem and saved me buying a complex oscillator. Thanks to Ben at Elevator Sound for the suggestion.

I'm guessing you are intending to use the rample for percussion and then have 2 voices - the instruo oscs (as 1 voice) and the atom (which if it was me I would replace with a mutable rings - which would reduce the trimmers and improve ergonomics)

not sure I would want 3 identical oscillators either - I can see the point of 2, fat detuned bassline, but you could easily drop one and then fit in an effects unit such as fx aid xl (variety and ergonomics again!) whic would address your point 1

point 2: most eurorack modules are mono so I'd keep as much as possible mono until final mix stage and the dtm is a great little sub-mixer, as it can be overdriven easily to add a bit of grit - which might sit nicely with the instruo oscs - plus you need sub-mixers to mix the instruo oscs (if you are going to use them in a mono-voice anyway) before sending the signal to a filter) - I'd consider dumping the q-mix and replacing it with a wavefolder of some sort

point 3: personally I'd only need one s&h in this size case - I'd drop the divkid before kinks - the rectifier section is very useful!

point 4: I'd remove the ALA DVCA and the panning mixer and patch my own using a mutable veils instead - both panning and crossfading are easy to patch with cascading vcas!!!

I'd probably also replace the atom with mutable rings - better ergonomics and a bit smaller - not a big fan of the tall trimmers which you seem to have a lot of

this would free up a bit of space which I would keep free - you'll inevitably reach for a specific function at some point and not have it, so need a little space to add it in later

• Kinks is taking up a lot of space for the sake of a single min/max gate. If could magically combine the Divkid S+H module with Kinks I'd do it. Any ideas?

-- rextable

Are you really going to need four sample and hold circuits in a build this small? I would hold off on the DivKid S+H and just use the one in Kinks for now (if you can find a Kinks, that is).
Have fun and good luck!

-- farkas

I really really really like S+H :-P

...... Not really.....

Fair point. I originally chose the Kinks as an approximate replacement for one of Lucia's suggestions.

Klawis Logica XT is 5hp and might restore parity, but it’s not a straight swap for anything. Basil Ikarie is stereo (and does a lot of cool things) but 8hp. knob.farm Hyrlo is 3x stereo or 6x mono in 4hp, but it won’t overdrive. No easy answers here.
-- plragde

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll investigate them :-)

• Kinks is taking up a lot of space for the sake of a single min/max gate. If could magically combine the Divkid S+H module with Kinks I'd do it. Any ideas?

-- rextable

Are you really going to need four sample and hold circuits in a build this small? I would hold off on the DivKid S+H and just use the one in Kinks for now (if you can find a Kinks, that is).
Have fun and good luck!

Klawis Logica XT is 5hp and might restore parity, but it’s not a straight swap for anything. Basil Ikarie is stereo (and does a lot of cool things) but 8hp. knob.farm Hyrlo is 3x stereo or 6x mono in 4hp, but it won’t overdrive. No easy answers here.

Thanks for the replies!

— the Quadrax expander is a good value of $s and HP, I would recommend finding space for that
-- nickgreenberg

I was looking at that earlier and I was already able to find space for it.

the 2 Mixups you might be able to find an improved alternative. How many voices total do you plan to run simultaneously?
-- nickgreenberg

Hyrlo + Ferry suggested by plragde look like great alternatives! I own a great reverb (Specular Tempus), so being able to use that with my modules is ace.

personally I would want a bit more oscillator options in a rack like this. A complex oscillator, Intellijel Shapeshifter, something along those lines
-- nickgreenberg

I had Generate 3 in my 2nd iteration, but I was thinking might be too much to handle. Instruo neóni was something I was looking at as well, but I have to do bit more research.

I'm not sure that the sound of Chainsaw fits with the kind of music you listed in your original post.
-- plragde

Yeah, it's more of a trance sound I'd guess. But the drones it can make sound lovely.

by the way, pitch CV is the only reason to have Link 2, otherwise cheaper stackables or stars suffice
-- plragde

That's the only reason I included it, but I am removing it for the 4th iteration so I can get the Quadrax expander in. Also I learned that 1v/oct inputs on Chainsaw (if I stick with it) normalise down, and for paraphony I could drive it from the Mutant Brain.

My experience was that my design changed not only several times before I bought my first module, but also as I started acquiring modules and learning about them. Think about the initial purchases and how they might best inform your future choices.
-- plragde

I expect my filled-up rack to be something completely different than I had designed, but it is nice to have some kind of a plan. I'm going to get modulation/utilities first and expand from there.

Okay

Based on Lugia's suggestions I made this.

I reinstated some of the modules from my V1 (eg the DOT and Scales). Yeeees - I know their functions are duplicated elsewhere, but I really really really... really really want to have their specific functions easily to hand. Also it means that if for some reason I find myself without the Arturia Keystep, I still have CV and gate sequencers available.

I swapped out Lugia's suggested filter and oscillators for things that suit my own taste. Taking Lugia's lesson about 'multifunctionality' though, I was able to combine his wavefolder idea with the oscillator modules and at the same time shrink the footprint, thereby making room for a 3rd. I also added a CP3 style mixer. Groooovy!

I swapped many of Lugia's suggested modules with smaller ones with similar or identical functionality. I ditched the Intellijel FX and reinstated my proposed open-ended line level IO. On paper at least, this should function either an extra output bus or FX pedal board loop. I don't know why you guys were so against it haha. Am I missing something? :-P

I found a really cool little master mixer by Endorphin.es to replace the one suggested by Lugia. It connects directly to the Intellijel case's direct outputs on the back. I know the Endorphin.es mixer is totally different to Lugia's suggested one functionally speaking but I think the space gained has paid dividends.

My Concerns/niggles:

• Now is that there is no basic dedicated effects on board. If I want a boring old delay or reverb I'll have to add it down stream or bring it in through the effects loop at the top.

• The CP3 mixer and Nano filter are mono. If I could find solution that does a similar job in stereo, I'd have two fully fledged stereo buses - which would be far more flexible.

• The Omsonic panning mixer is the only uneven HP module so I've got 1 HP of space going to waste. Doh!!! :-P

Thoughts and advice most welcome please

Thanks

x

Love it - more please :)

Good point Lugia and I love my Doepfer monster case. Even better than the MDLR case.
Would not hesitate to buy another one and since I buy a lot of modules, really don't want to run out of space.

Layout you can easily change as you learn more through direct use, so don't worry too much about that. Availability is an issue right now. Mutant Brain is hard to get hold of; Steppy slightly less so. Make sure you won't be frustrated by learning using Mimetic Digitalis and one channel of MIDI-CV from Disting (plus what you can get from your semi-mods). I'm not sure that the sound of Chainsaw fits with the kind of music you listed in your original post. It is tempting because of the paraphony, but then you need enough pitch CV to drive it (not many in-rack sources right now, and by the way, pitch CV is the only reason to have Link 2, otherwise cheaper stackables or stars suffice). You might consider Instruo Ts-l (which has a wavefolder, so maybe Bifold won't be necessary right away). For mixing, I would suggest, instead of the two Mixups, a knob.farm Hyrlo and a Doepfer A-138s. (If you have off-rack effects, knob.farm Ferry is quite useful, but they say November at the earliest for that one.)

My experience was that my design changed not only several times before I bought my first module, but also as I started acquiring modules and learning about them. Think about the initial purchases and how they might best inform your future choices.

One other note about the Doepfer Monster Cases...the 4-row one is abysmally expensive, but the 3-row has a huge price drop between it and its larger sibling. And if the road case hardware isn't a concern, you could get a 3-row Monster LC and a 2-row Monster LC base for only $65 more than the fully-outfitted 4-row Monster. Plus, they put completely NUTS power supplies in these (4A on the +12 and -12 busses, 8A at +5V) that have more than ample current headroom. Not too shabby for a total of 840 hp to screw around in!

Lots of good stuff in this V3 rack.

Suggestions:
— the Quadrax expander is a good value of $s and HP, I would recommend finding space for that

— the 2 Mixups you might be able to find an improved alternative. How many voices total do you plan to run simultaneously?

— personally I would want a bit more oscillator options in a rack like this. A complex oscillator, Intellijel Shapeshifter, something along those lines

Overall this is looking like a solid and fun rack.

Enjoy!

Nicholas

Ordered that 2 days ago.

Hi Gumbo23,

Ha, ha, sounds like we need more rainy days in Bristol, so you can provide us with more lovely jams like this one, well done!

Yeah, sweet memories come back about music like this... thank you very much for taking us back in the past, lovely experience. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Brunomolteni,

Oh that's a great track! If this is techno, then I am okay with it ;-) You make (parts of) techno acceptable to non-techno people like me, well done! Lots of fun sounds to be heard, overall a lovely sonic journey you present us here.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

I really hope you can make that happen, sounds like a kind of dream that comes through :-) Good luck with the realisation of the bar/modular plan and kind regards, Garfield.

You could probably get some cool percussion sounds with a Schlappi Interstellar Radio and Patching Panda Punch v3 combo too.