Thread: Korg SQ-64?

I'm not waiting for this, partly because I still think Korg needs numerous repeated headpunches over their ARP 2600 (and a few other things besides) screwup saga...but ALSO because I know that Uli's planning to drop the BCR32, which is a smaller version of the BCR2000 that ALREADY includes the ZAQuencer firmware straight from the factory. And before anyone gets riled up, Uli actually got the rights from the ZAQuencer firmware's developer AND paid for that (or worked out some sort of arrangement per unit sold).

For those unfamiliar, the ZAQuencer is a 3rd-party firmware that runs on the BCR2000 knob controller to output up to three channels of eight steps via MIDI. It's also got a bunch of sneaky functions that are very useful and intuitive...and it's ALSO the reason why you don't see many BCR2000s on the used market for very long. The BCR32 even goes further, with CV/gate I/Os for each "channel" and a few ZAQ-centric additions. Think "poor man's MAQ16/3" here. So yeah, the Korg has more steps and what not, but it also seems a bit "closed-ended" in how it works, where the ZAQuencer is more adaptable and actually pretty agile in live use.