Can the Rossum Satellite be used on its own ? I was under the impression that although it could be used without a Control Forge after presets are transfered, one would need the Control Forge to create at least one batch of presets, right ?

And with regards to the question at hand, I think it's really hard to come up with something generic because, well, it's modular, we all have different ways to patch and different needs.
For example, it's very likely that we would end up with at least one of the main cascading quad VCA, Intellijel or MI for example, but which one ? Some will prefer sliders and the slightly smaller footprint, some will prefer the Intellijel for the cascading CV or the boost switch, some like me will not be able to decide and grab both, there is no right or wrong there, so which one would you include in a generic build and how to indicate this can be replaced by X or Y or Z depending on the user's exact needs without that discussion turning into a book like Patch & Tweak ?
So it's a question of which functions rather than which module, right ? But which functions indeed ? It depends on what you'd want to interact with the rack, which is also very subjective. Live tweaking or pre-programming ? Modulating more with gates or LFO or random or agnostic ? straight clocks or shuffly wobbly ? Like menus or hate 'em ? Depending on the answers one is probably looking at different type/classes of modules.
I feel like this discussion, if it were to remain generic enough, would end up looking exactly like Jim's signature:

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!
sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

And even then, I may put an equal sign between "modulation sources" and "utilities" because that's the balance I like to have at hand. The best advice that can be offered to newcomers, IMO, is not really about what to buy:
1. RTFM & Research
2. Buy slow (ok this one maybe)
3. Plan bigger
4. Experiment & Explore

--- Voltage control all the things ---