this user has left ModularGrid

Had fun with WMD percussion

Hi Sacguy71,

That's a nice video, that's your MDLR case, right? Looks like you still have plenty of 1 U space left ;-)

Nice to watch many of your modules in this overview video. I definitely need to start to save some money for one or two Rossum modules!

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks Garfield,

Yes that is my MDLR 14u case. I am trying to figure out what 1u modules would be worth getting- any recommendations?
Rossum modules are fun and very powerful yet steep learning curve.

Hi Sacguy71,

I used to have a list of 1 U modules I was interested in and I wanted to have a look at that to see if I can advice any to you however I lost that list :-( The only module left I see is the one from Intelllijel - 1U Digiverb if you don't have enough reverb modules yet.

Generally 1 U can be used nicely for some (rather simple) utility modules that saves you some space in the 3U part of your rack.

Have fun with your sequencers and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks Garfield,

Yes that is my MDLR 14u case. I am trying to figure out what 1u modules would be worth getting- any recommendations?
Rossum modules are fun and very powerful yet steep learning curve.
-- sacguy71

I have the same case, Arjan really is a great case maker! And I'm in the same boat, sort of, I still have a lot of 1U space to fill :-)

I think the most used 1U module in my case is the 1U Ornaments&Crime by Plum Audio (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/plum-audio-1uo-c-4robots), it's awesome they managed to find a way to fit O&C into that format, it's pretty large (30H) but definitely worth the space in a 14U in my opinion. If you don't have an O&C in your rack yet, you may want to get into that, I'm sure you would love it. If I remember well, you don't exactly need more clocking but for others, Plum Audio also makes a 1U version of Temps Utile, pretty cool. And if you want MI Peaks, they also make a module based on that in 1U called Apex. Highly recommend manufacturer, Shay is a super nice person on top of being a good engineer...

I'm really into distortion so I'm a big fan of Ritual Electronics's Guillotine (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ritual-electronics-guillotine), 2 channels of powerful and tasty distortion with a character switch, I love it. They also make a few other modules in 1U I haven't tried, like some noise, comparator, analog switch, etc.

There is of course the obvious ones from Intellijel, I don't think I could operate my rack without at least one Quadratt and I'll add a Noise Tools as soon as I can, just too useful. If you didn't have a Metron, I'd recommend the Steppy, it's dangerously fun, but you probably don't need yet another gate sequencer...

Finally, you may want to wait for reports on Mosaic modules (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchName=&SearchVendor=933&SearchFunction=&SearchSecondaryfunction=&SearchHeight=&SearchTe=&SearchTemethod=max&SearchBuildtype=&SearchLifecycle=&SearchSet=all&SearchMarketplace=&SearchIsmodeled=0&SearchShowothers=0&order=newest&direction=asc). I just saw those appear and the line up looks interesting, I could use a playable ADSR in 1U for example, I'll definitely keep an eye on that myself.

Hopefully that will be of some help, take care !
D.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Awesome thanks @toodee! Will look at the O&C for 1u as that would really fill in the gaps and 1u is superb. I like distortion as well and will check those modules out as well. I have a 1u Quadratt and it is super useful. Yeah my 14u MLDR case has good sequencers with Metron and Stillson Hammer and I can use the Maestro for random modulation type stuff. Mosaic looks interesting will keep eye on it.

Modular/eurorack ticks my boxes for the most fun in dance and experimental music creation albeit very expensive.

Expensive indeed, and I feel the financial strain is not the only one, Eurorack is demanding in terms of time and discipline as well, there is less hand-holding and easy roads than with other synths so it takes way more time to master one's instrument, especially since it may be evolving as we swap out modules.
But the payback is superb: near infinite possibilities if you build your rack right, and continuous gratification from every point of view - sound, user interface, community surrounding it, modular is a gift that keeps on giving.
Glad we get to enjoy it together ;-)

How do you like the Maestro ? I had assumed that's a module one would almost always rack in the lowest row to play the buttons, but I see you haven't, no problem dialing in LFO's on the fly, or are you only using it for random voltages ? Being able to "design" synchronized LFO on the fly is something I think I could really use, but my lowest row I use for 'control' modules is sorta full, I'd have to shuffle things around a bit to include it, looks dope though, especially since now they finally included that internal attenuation that was preventing me from jumping on it... Looking forward to your (and anyone else's) perspective on this :)

--- Voltage control all the things ---