Hi everyone!

The mockup you see below is as minimal as possible, and excludes dozens of modules I've been drooling over, but I'm really eager start making sounds within my budget of ~$1200.

I'm working on an industrial/synth-rock project, so I want something chaotic but musical. This Erica VCO sates my tube fetish, and the Ultraviolence sounds like exactly what I need for chaos. The dude from Error recommends another gate sequencer for it to reign in the rhythms, which is exactly what I was thinking, so I found that cool-looking, cheap-ish Blue Lantern.

The other modules are just what I determined to be "necessary" for those three to "function" well. I put those words in quotes because they're mostly subjective in modular world, but from what I've read, you're going to have a really hard time getting any satisfaction from a modular that doesn't have at least one VCO, filter, mixer, envelope and VCA. I know this setup doesn't have a mixer or filter. Please tell me what main issues I'd have if I bought all this and set it up right now.

Thanks! Link to rack: ModularGrid Rack

this user has left ModularGrid

If you can, definitely get a bigger case and more utilities. Mantis case is affordable and would be an improvement over the tiny case pictured. You need VCAs, mults, attenuators, mixer, envelopes, switch and tools for modular more than you'd think. I highly recommend the combo of Mutable Instruments Links and Kinks. Perhaps add a Maths as well? Here is my recommendation

ModularGrid Rack

+1 on the "bigger case". Also, you might reconsider that $1200 budget point...Eurorack ain't cheap. Plus, as this stands right now, you have no way to justify having a panel meter in that 3U skiff; builds of that sort (which many of us here discourage, actually...they're NOT apt to come out like what one sees on YouTube, which is where this idea seems to keep coming from) simply don't have space to allow a "toy module" of that sort. And I call it that because there's not really anything in that 3U build that needs metering as such...it's just there for looks, in other words, and you need function here more than eye candy. sacguy71's right on point here; a Tiptop Mantis will still be eminently portable (hell, Tiptop even sells a gig bag that's sized for it!), not a huge budgetary hit at $335 street, and provide WAAAAY more space. Granted, with that space comes the death of your $1200 max idea, but it opens you up to putting together a far more capable build that can be worked out long-term, instead of dropping the $$$ on it right off the bat.

Also, you might reconsider that $1200 budget point...Eurorack ain't cheap.
-- Lugia

Thanks for your response, that all makes lots of sense. I should clarify that $1200 is my starting budget, and I hoped to build one module at a time from there given my current finances. My original plan was to save a solid $2000 and buy a whole rig at the synth shop in my town, but as I got more eager I started thinking $1200 was enough to begin with. Obviously I'm not too stoked on having a case and some modules waiting around until I've got enough cash to amass a real rig. Anyway, I appreciate the reminder that this is a big investment.

If you can, definitely get a bigger case and more utilities. Mantis case is affordable and would be an improvement over the tiny case pictured. You need VCAs, mults, attenuators, mixer, envelopes, switch and tools for modular more than you'd think. I highly recommend the combo of Mutable Instruments Links and Kinks. Perhaps add a Maths as well? Here is my recommendation

ModularGrid Rack
-- sacguy71

Thank you SO much for this. Really helped to get some direct pointers on what I need as far as utility. I saw a YouTube vid of a guy talking about how he felt like it was impossible to avoid getting a Maths in the process of building his first rack and I'm feeling the same about now hahah.

Tony Rolando really knocked it out of the park with the Maths design, actually. The Maths is ridiculously capable as a modulation source or, since it descends from the Serge DUSG, you could even use it as an oscillator. It turns up all over the place, almost like a standard device, because it's VERY difficult to overtax it in terms of complexity...despite it being deceptively simple to use. 20 hp of lightning in a bottle!

this user has left ModularGrid

You are welcome. I am always glad to share my tips from experiences. I am a beginner as well. Just last year, I took the eurorack plunge with a Doepfer A100 Basic system. Cost me about $1800 including tax/shipping but provided case, tools and modules to get started. I still use most of the Doepfer modules which sound amazing with other stuff. You could consider something like that or another prepackaged system to get started. Erica Synths Black System, ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe, Endorphin.es Shuttle System and Make Noise provide great packages. I don't have a Maths but I use Quadrax from Intellijel that has similar features yet different. Quadrax with the expander is a pretty awesome alternative to Maths.