So far, this is what I have in my RackBrute 6U build. One of my goals with this build is to not only integrate it with my Hydrasynth and Minibrute 2. I would also like to be able to integrate Ableton Live Midi, M4L devices, etc (I use a Push2 and LaunchKey).

ModularGrid Rack

Looking for recommendations on a module that would give me good midi integration between my eurorack/Hydrasynth and Ableton Live...I'd like to be able to record things in Live as I am messing around/experimenting so I can go back and scrub through recordings to find any 'happy accidents' to use. I have a Focusrite 8i6

Thanks for any recommendations!

JB

If you're planning to use CV Tools, I'd strongly suggest looking at one of Expert Sleepers' interfaces...the ES-8 or ES-9 would work perfectly, depending on how much I/O you need there. Plus, by going directly to that, you can forego MIDI altogether to the modular, and use the DAW's sync to keep the MIDI devices locked-up with the modular. Definitely more efficient.

do you already have an audio interface?
if so which one?

do you already have midi i/o from computer?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

do you already have an audio interface?
if so which one?

do you already have midi i/o from computer?

-- JimHowell1970

I have the Focusrite 8i6. As far as MIDI i/o, it runs through the Focusrite...I have an Ableton Push 2 and also a Novation Launchkey 49 (sometimes I just have to have the keys vs pads :) and they are USB connected to my PC. I think it would be interesting to be able to take sounds from a track in Ableton (for example, i have an iPad with some cool/different synths (Animoog and Sound Prism to name just a couple)...and run them through various modules in my rack and then back into another track in Ableton...would that be accomplished with some sort of 'sampler' module?

JB

you can use your audio interface, the appropriate cables, probably some amplification* and possibly attenuation or an output module - I can't remember if those focusrite interfaces have balanced inputs or not - but if they do or your power is unbalanced - then a balanced output module is probably a good idea

*for amplification you could use an input module - or if you are not going to use it constantly something like MI Veils is a good buy as it has a lot of gain available, is 4 channels and is a cascading vca so can be used as a mixer - intellijel quad also does this - not many vcas do!

not sure about midi as I don't really use it that much in that way - sometimes I use cv to midi cc for controlling a video synth, but not often

but if you want midi i/o from the modular then befaco make both in and output 4 channel midi modules and are usually pretty good

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I think it would be interesting to be able to take sounds from a track in Ableton (for example, i have an iPad with some cool/different synths (Animoog and Sound Prism to name just a couple)...and run them through various modules in my rack and then back into another track in Ableton...would that be accomplished with some sort of 'sampler' module?

-- jb61264

Nope...you'd first set up an external send and return path inside Ableton so that you can get the signal out and back. Then you'd use your DAW interface to get the signal into/out of the analog domain for the synth. Route the "send" through a suitable preamp to raise the signal to synth levels, and attenuate back down at the end so you're at line level to hit the return to the Focusrite. This is, of course, if you use the Focusrite for this; if you had an ES-9, you could send and return the audio using that module alone, plus a suitable digital link to the Focusrite (like an ADAT Lightpipe). This would also result in having dedicated interface I/O for the modular alone, which isn't a bad idea because, well, CV Tools. And yes, you CAN simultaneously move audio and CV signals over the same Lightpipe and Expert Sleepers module.

I can't remember if those focusrite interfaces have balanced inputs or not
The Focusrite 8i6 has six balanced line inputs, and four balanced outputs

for amplification you could use an input module - or if you are not going to use it constantly something like MI Veils is a good buy as it has a lot of gain available, is 4 channels and is a cascading vca so can be used as a mixer - intellijel quad also does this - not many vcas do!
The MI Veils is on my list for my RackBrute 6U build....maybe it moves up the priority list a little? :)

but if you want midi i/o from the modular then befaco make both in and output 4 channel midi modules and are usually pretty good
Thanks for that recommendation!

JB

I think it would be interesting to be able to take sounds from a track in Ableton (for example, i have an iPad with some cool/different synths (Animoog and Sound Prism to name just a couple)...and run them through various modules in my rack and then back into another track in Ableton...would that be accomplished with some sort of 'sampler' module?

-- jb61264

if you had an ES-9, you could send and return the audio using that module alone, plus a suitable digital link to the Focusrite (like an ADAT Lightpipe). This would also result in having dedicated interface I/O for the modular alone, which isn't a bad idea because, well, CV Tools. And yes, you CAN simultaneously move audio and CV signals over the same Lightpipe and Expert Sleepers module.

I'm a little confused on this...ADAT Lightpipe is for an optical connection? The Focusrite 8i6 doesn't have an optical connection but does have an S/PDIF in and out...could that be used? would i instead use the ES-4 SPDIF/CV Interface and get the same functionality? Would I still need an ES-8 or ES-9?

JB

the spdif output will give you 2 channels - so gate and cv for instance

if you are using a mac you could try using one of the usb (or usb-c) modules from expert sleepers (the es8 or 9) as a aggregate device with the other audio interface

I'm not sure that works well on windows though