Hi, another newbie trying to feel my way around modular. I've started with the Treadstone all-in-one synth voice, sequencing from my Novation Mono Station at the moment, looking for something to pair it with for some modulation, or a second VCO to augment the sound, or some way to randomise sequences... Any thoughts much appreciated!

things that are usually good to pair with semis will probably work perfectly

so modulation and utilities are good starting points

Maths, zadar, pams, batumi etc etc etc (they'll mostly be in the categories envelope generator, lfo or function generator)

I'd also usually recommend a utility starter set of links, kinks, shades (or similar functions in different modules) and a quad cascading vca, such as veils (veils specifically because it's more versatile than most, 10hp and reasonably inexpensive) NB kinks is discontinued so if you can find one buy it

after that I'd start thinking about adding an extra voice of some kind - probably a vco, filter and an end of chain mixer, unless you've already got that covered externally

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Jim has good advice. Add in a decent sequencer as well maybe an Arturia Keystep that has CV control. Love Analogue Solutions gear. In fact, I just picked up a new Leipzig v3 and DFAM for my home office to play with in between breaks.

thanks sacguy71 - yeah that would have been my next bit of advice too - but only once a second voice is in and it is needed

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Get a Vostok or Collossus, problem solved.

I suggest you look at Lugia's draft racks and posts on the forum -- that will give you LOTS of ideas on what directions you could go. Lugia's racks are well designed, balanced, and a good use of HP. And his posts on rack designs are great.

The modular domain is SO wide open, IMO it takes having a concrete vision "this is my draft next rack, HP to work with, budget etc." and some iterations improving the design (with forum help) to go from an infinity of options to a next build that actually makes sense, sounds good, and is fun to use.

As far as actual modules go, I love complex oscillators (like Make Noise DPO and Instruo C-sl), wavefolders (like Intellijel Bifold) and power-filters (like Rossum Linneaus, Morpheus, or Intellijel Morgasmatron). Those types of modules embody what makes modular fun and interesting for me. So, I recommend you consider what types of modules are inspiring to you, and consider what type of build will support those. And remember, you'll need a good number of utilities to make a modular system work well! Balancing the modular system so it has a good proportion of module types -- this is key.

Good luck. Enjoy!

My suggestion would actually be to expand the control capabilities at this point. Instead of a regular Keystep, though, I'd suggest the Keystep Pro. The sequencer is on the order of complexity of the BSP, the keyboard controller feels decent, plus you get some extra controllers in its ribbons. But if the task here is to up the sequencing complexity, I think you'll find the KSP to be just the thing.

And when you expand the modular itself, then you'll already be set up to handle a more complex rig.