This will be my current 6U RackBrute, once the Chainsaw arrives. Didn't occur to me to check the power limits and I fear I may be over the 1,600 +12V. (Modgrid says the +12V line is 1,686).

I'm also not sure which is row 1 and which is row 2 - the RackBrute manual doesn't really make this super clear...

I don't have a good understanding of electric power, so I'm not sure if I'm reading the RackBrute manual correctly. If it is over the limit, it's not a huge problem as I'm planning to get a 3U at some point, just not right away.

Far as rack design goes, I'm not going bigger than a 6U and 3U anytime soon because there is not enough space in our small Brooklyn apt! I lean on VCVrack for everything else (VCV Host with the free Supermassive plugin is awesome). The 3U will be mostly about logic and time modulation, but likely a mix of duties, to mix up the power demand I guess.

Anyhow, I digress. Just checking to see if I'm about to encounter some problems. Thanks!

the rule of thumb that gets used for this is always leave 25-30% headroom on all rails - this is to allow for inaccuracies in the stated draw and to allow for inrush issues (where modules take much more power than stated whilst starting up - usually digital modules)

I would advise against trying to get that much power out of that power supply

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Yeah I’ve got a 3U on the way and according to Arturia’s website, the 3U has the same exact power rail so all will be well!

Thanks Jim

the first thing I would do is take the es9 and move it to the 3u - this will reduce your power consumption in the 6u by a considerable amount

don't forget that a lot of utility modules are passive - mixers, attenuators, mults, switches etc etc all of which are very useful in a modular synthesizer

as are blind panels - and they stop you dropping cables on to busboards etc!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Read my mind. In fact, I intend to put all the Expert Sleepers modules in the 3U - balances the load nicely.