ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

Hello Everybody,

Hope you are all well and enjoying your modular. This is my current set up and I need some suggestions on what would be good candidates for 1U modules for my Intellijel case which would add more functionality to my system. I have 3 slots left on the Intellijel case and plan to buy the 1u dual vca modules for definite. Other than that I am open to other options. I don't think I need a big mixer as I find that I prefer tracking everything to Ableton. I don't plan on gigging with my set up. I just enjoy making music and so using the dsp from my UAD Apollo twin and satellite, helps with processing the sound to achieve less muddy mixes and side chain to my kick drum which I can save and hopefully release one day.

Oh and maybe some tips for people starting out and head scratching about how all this stuff works. I send clock from a digitakt via midi into the hermod and then distribute clock all over the system from the gate 8 output. Its rock solid.

I invested in a small erm midi clock which also takes care of any clock jitter from Ableton, which ensures that if I use internal software based vst's, these also play in time with the hardware set up. It works really well but I remember at the start, I remember thinking that I had wasted money on my hardware set up as I couldn't get anything to play in time with each other. Don't let this get you down as it's all part of your learning process. When you come from just the software world all this side is taken care of for you and you don't have to think about it :)

The other thing I would say is that there are some brilliant contributors to this forum, Lugia, Jim, Garfield modular, farkas and others. I often go back to old threads and read their very detailed replies and this really helped investigate and research some of the modules they suggest which if you watch YouTube you will miss, as reviewers will only tend to review what's sometimes referred to as the 'sexy' modules in this forum.

Ok , back to my post, over the last few months I have really been impressed with Steevio's music and want to incorporate more of his ideas into my system. I particularly like how he takes odd length patterns and hives triggers off to other voices. In fact, I love the rhythms he is able to generate and they way he seamlessly transitions to song after song without stuff going all over the place. How does he do that? I am hoping that I can replicate some of this idea with my varigate + and precision adder, which I bought specifically for this purpose.

Are there other things that I need to incorporate his tricks into my set up. I have watched some of mylarmelodies take on this and also Omri Cohen's video ( although as much as I adore Omri), he sometimes replicates modules to develop his patches which due to cost I am unable to do.

Also I have just placed modules in my racks so they fit (top 2 rows are Intellijel 84hp), bottom row is nifty case (84hp) and the other case is a 241hp custom built wheedy whizz cab.

@Lugia, not sure if you have the time available, but would love one of your reconfigs for a more efficient patching workflow, if you have time??? :)

Also, I know it seems like I have amassed a lot, and indeed I have but 90% of my modules are second hand and I have really waited a long time to buy at lower prices - for instance I bought my two Doepfer VCA's for £35 each, the Wheedy whizz cab with about 6 modules (braids, korgasmatron ver1, jp8 filter and a few more) for around £750. I recently picked up the excellent ACL delay for £158 and this unit would be over £350 brand new. It's the old brand AQA but sounds wicked and was in perfect condition. There are many bargains to be had for people particularly looking to exit from their eurorack addiction , find that the patching workflow isn't really to their liking or simply just collected the modules at new prices without spending time learning how to use them, for instance I still see online people using plaits and they have the pitch all the way to the left so that they can get the tone in a lower octave, which could very easily be sorted out if they read the manual or read a forum post where people explained how to use the buttons at the top of the unit :)

Thanks
Greenfly

Hope you are all well and enjoying your modular. This is my current set up and I need some suggestions on what would be good candidates for 1U modules for my Intellijel case which would add more functionality to my system. I have 3 slots left on the Intellijel case and plan to buy the 1u dual vca modules for definite. Other than that I am open to other options. I don't think I need a big mixer as I find that I prefer tracking everything to Ableton. I don't plan on gigging with my set up. I just enjoy making music and so using the dsp from my UAD Apollo twin and satellite, helps with processing the sound to achieve less muddy mixes and side chain to my kick drum which I can save and hopefully release one day.

I really can't help that much here - the noise tools module always struck me as useful, as does the attenuator and the vcas - anmd midi an i/o if you want that sort of thing (I guess you do as you bought cases that have it (semi-) built in

Oh and maybe some tips for people starting out and head scratching about how all this stuff works. I send clock from a digitakt via midi into the hermod and then distribute clock all over the system from the gate 8 output. Its rock solid.

good

I invested in a small erm midi clock which also takes care of any clock jitter from Ableton, which ensures that if I use internal software based vst's, these also play in time with the hardware set up. It works really well but I remember at the start, I remember thinking that I had wasted money on my hardware set up as I couldn't get anything to play in time with each other. Don't let this get you down as it's all part of your learning process. When you come from just the software world all this side is taken care of for you and you don't have to think about it :)

erm yes... I guess

The other thing I would say is that there are some brilliant contributors to this forum, Lugia, Jim, Garfield modular, farkas and others. I often go back to old threads and read their very detailed replies and this really helped investigate and research some of the modules they suggest which if you watch YouTube you will miss, as reviewers will only tend to review what's sometimes referred to as the 'sexy' modules in this forum.

thank you!

Ok , back to my post, over the last few months I have really been impressed with Steevio's music and want to incorporate more of his ideas into my system. I particularly like how he takes odd length patterns and hives triggers off to other voices. In fact, I love the rhythms he is able to generate and they way he seamlessly transitions to song after song without stuff going all over the place. How does he do that? I am hoping that I can replicate some of this idea with my varigate + and precision adder, which I bought specifically for this purpose.

have you seen his rig run down on youtube - I would watch it repeatedly and take copious notes - then try to figure out wtf the notes mean - from what I can remember there's a lot of logic involved

one thing to note is that Steevio's rack is almost all if not all doepfer - buy a switched multiple now - abuse it as a gate/trigger combiner, just like Steevio 'it's not broken 'out yet'

Are there other things that I need to incorporate his tricks into my set up. I have watched some of mylarmelodies take on this and also Omri Cohen's video ( although as much as I adore Omri), he sometimes replicates modules to develop his patches which due to cost I am unable to do.

having started in modular a bit before the rise of the influencers, hopefully the fall will be soon, not that I don't think that they do a good job - they do - just explain why you are using the beauty case - it's shitty to start - and they are always swapping modules in and out of larger cases - I saw one of them admit it once

Also I have just placed modules in my racks so they fit (top 2 rows are Intellijel 84hp), bottom row is nifty case (84hp) and the other case is a 241hp custom built wheedy whizz cab.

@Lugia, not sure if you have the time available, but would love one of your reconfigs for a more efficient patching workflow, if you have time??? :)

nothing wrong with that approach - group functionally go from left to right in terms of signal path, modulation below voices and control below that - or something similar - whatever works for you is best - but won't necessarily be best for me or Lugia or anyone else for that matter

Also, I know it seems like I have amassed a lot, and indeed I have but 90% of my modules are second hand and I have really waited a long time to buy at lower prices - for instance I bought my two Doepfer VCA's for £35 each, the Wheedy whizz cab with about 6 modules (braids, korgasmatron ver1, jp8 filter and a few more) for around £750. I recently picked up the excellent ACL delay for £158 and this unit would be over £350 brand new. It's the old brand AQA but sounds wicked and was in perfect condition. There are many bargains to be had for people particularly looking to exit from their eurorack addiction , find that the patching workflow isn't really to their liking or simply just collected the modules at new prices without spending time learning how to use them, for instance I still see online people using plaits and they have the pitch all the way to the left so that they can get the tone in a lower octave, which could very easily be sorted out if they read the manual or read a forum post where people explained how to use the buttons at the top of the unit :)

Hahahaha - really no one cares - it's your money to do with as you please - good that you got a few 'bargains' though!

There's nothing wrong with using the frequency knob of plaits like that - but I agree RTFM, RTFM, RTFM and forums

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities