I'm thinking there is a bigger universal picture to my getting into modular...currently not being able to find modules that have been recommended for what I'm wanting to do is forcing me to dive deeper into the two modules I currently have (Maths and Quadrax playing with my Hydrasynth desktop)...however, I did find a FX Aid XL this morning and its now on the way.

I heard that Frap Tools is shipping again, I've been looking to get the 321...that and the QX expander will be coming shortly thereafter...if they are available.

On a more serious note...does availability of modules go in 'cycles'...has the pandemic really hurt the module manufacturers (ie chip and raw material shortages) or is it more the nature of modular in general that availability comes and goes in cycles?

JB

yes - there are always cycles - as most manufacturers are quite small - and production runs are quite small, which also tends to mean that component orders are quite small etc etc

the pandemic has made things worse and I suspect it will be a while before things get back to normal

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

And don't forget the current chip shortage...it's hitting everyone from car manufacturers to gamers to...well, us. The analog chips aren't so much of an issue, but the embedded processors in some of the more elaborate modules are certainly getting hit by this.

there was a potentiometer shortage a while back and I've heard rumours of a shortage of tl072s and/or 74s - so there may be an analog chip shortage too

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Funny that you mention the Happy Nerding FX Aid XL module as I just picked one up from Analogue Haven as that was the only shop that had one online in stock for sale and Shawn is a stand up guy and was helpful when I asked him some modular questions. Great module so fun and I am still learning mine. I love using it along with my Mimeophon for great results.

Funny that you mention the Happy Nerding FX Aid XL module as I just picked one up from Analogue Haven as that was the only shop that had one online in stock for sale and Shawn is a stand up guy and was helpful when I asked him some modular questions. Great module so fun and I am still learning mine. I love using it along with my Mimeophon for great results.
-- sacguy71

Nice! Can't wait to get mine....I think I've contracted a case of GAS...saw someone with a Warps avaialble and also picked that up this week as well. I think I need to stop for a while because I was just starting to undertsand some of the use cases for my Maths and then threw a Quadrax into the mix with it which quickly taught me that I know nothing...now with the FX Aid XL and Warps on the way, I think I will be busy learning for quite a while

JB

Nice FX!!
I just sold the little one to get the XL...
Escape from noise should still have some.

this user has left ModularGrid

I spent a lot on modular this year and last but I’m done buying modules for a while. I need to fund a bunch of home repairs so that blows my music budget for a few years. All good as it will take me that long to really master my modules anyways.

Nice FX!!
I just sold the little one to get the XL...
Escape from noise should still have some.
-- Rabel

Was considering the little one as a supplemental FX unit to go along with the Black Hole DSP 2. Would you not recommend it?

Was considering the little one as a supplemental FX unit to go along with the Black Hole DSP 2. Would you not recommend it?
-- merzky_shoom

Absolutely yes, there is a great variety of 4hp fx and loading new banks is very easy