ModularGrid Rack

This will be mainly used for jamming with a group and solo exploration. Looking to sequence it with the Keystep Pro.

Would greatly appreciate your feedback before taking the plunge.

Here's a link to a solo improvisation below.

Many thanks!

1st piece of advice - bigger case!

yes I know the nifty is inexpensive and has midi and audio out built in, but you will almost definitely want to expand on these modules shortly after filling this case and therefore probably end up buying another one within a few months - this is a slippery slope - start off with something that will allow you to expand - I like the tiptop audio mantis cases - they are also inexpensive and have very good power supplies and are still quite portable

2 - for me at least the case is unbalanced

there are too many 'voices' and not enough support modules

a good scalable rule of thumb I like is:

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

particularly there is no stereo mixing in the rack nor is there a buffered mult

plaits is a dual mono sound source, rings is a stereo sound source/modifier, beads is a stereo sound modifier/source - case only has one stereo input - you need a mixer - preferably one that can pan 2 mono signals to stereo and has multiple stereo inputs

each of these can accept v/oct - there are only 2 v/oct outs on the nifty case midi->cv (and I'm not sure if the keystep can sequence 2 parts at once anyway) use a buffered mult to accurately copy the v/oct to the voices - a passive mult will cause voltage droop which will make your voices out of tune (and you want them in tune if you are playing with others - so don't forget a tuner as well)

if I had to stay in this size case (which I wouldn't) I would dump the dreadbox modules and replace them with a veils, a stmix and a fx aid

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on my post. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to give your honest appraisal and module suggestions.

Your post has given me few very useful hints regarding mono vs stereo in a modular rig.

Many thanks!

Ian