Hello,

I'm about 7 months into modular (but a longtime musician & synthesist). I've got a good modular setup and am now considering EXPANDING it, particularly with one or more additional Sequencing modules. I already have Vector + Expansion, and it is very good IMO. Still, I am looking to build out to a more "complex sequencing chain" as discussed in these 2 posts:
i) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10262
ii) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9467

My next sequencer(s) could include CV and/or trigger/gate sequencing -- I'm pretty open in consideration presently. I am digging into sequencer videos and manuals online BUT am coming away with a not so great idea of what makes one module superior for particular users. So, for those willing to share, I am wondering: what are your favorite sequencer modules? What in particular do you like about them? Why did you choose those over credible alternatives? What are some of the most important things did you not like about those others you passed up?

Some particular units I'm hoping to understand better include Eloquencer, Tiptop Trigger Riot, Tiptop Circadian Rhythms, Frap USTA, WMD Metron, Verbos Multistage CV + Sequence Selector, Rene2, Euclidean Circles v2. But feel free to mention any sequencers you really love / hate. I WILL likely add further "supporting units" such as switches, logic, adders, busses, etc. that are helpful (if not also necessary) for "complex sequencing;" that said, this point, I'm more focused on ID'ing what may be the top candidates for additional sequencer modules to add.

I have tried to glean related info from other spots on the forum, but surely I've missed some, so please feel free to post other thread links as relevant. BTW I've used the Doudoroff list as the general sequencer list (https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/)

To summarize and simplify, I'm wondering if we have a "modular sequencer shootout" of items in the 2021 marketplace, which modules rise to the top and why?

Thanks all!

Nicholas

Metron has been extremely easy to learn compared to some others. You'll need the Voltera expander for CV control though which can be annoying.

Take a look at Westlicht Performer.

It's a DIY module at the moment, which makes it easier or harder to get it, depending where you are coming from. If you are not a DIY person and don't believe in used gear, you might find someone to build one for you for less than what other, less powerful sequencrs might cost.

It has 8 outputs of gate/trigger + CV combinations, and can also create modulation curves. It has MIDI in and out through TRS and USB.

I like that it has quite deep possibilities of programming and at the same time favors hands-on approaches: you can connect a Novation Launchpad to it and use that to create sequences on the fly and access other functions.

Cinematic Laboratory has some videos about it:

When I was choosing my main sequencer, I narrowed my choice down to the WMD Metron and the Winter Modular Eloquencer. I ultimately chose the Eloquencer. Very intuitive, as simple or as deep as you might want, and 8 channels of CV and gate. I'm not a menu-diver, and while the Eloquencer has a fairly shallow menu system, it doesn't impede making music in the slightest. In fact, the interface is mostly WYSIWYG the way I use it. Watching demos of the Metron, I felt like I might make a lot of mistakes switching between four different pages for a single rhythm. Add to that the need to buy an expander for just four channels of CV (and another expander for accent), and the Metron just wasn't for me. I'm very happy with my choice.
I think I mentioned in your other recent post about sequencers that I do like to use and switch between multiple sequencers (Voltage Block, Arpitecht, etc.). That may be confusing and not work for some, so it all really comes down to your preference.

Find a Eurorack dealer with a nice return policy. It's going to take a week to figure out if you like the workflow (assuming you're going with a complex sequencer).

I own a Westlicht. I like it. But be sure it's built by someone who gives a damn.
I also own a 1010 Toolbox. I like it too. It's easy to program. But it lacks a lot of deep features and some of the updates have been kind of crappy IMHO.

As far as simple sequencers, I own a Pittsburgh Modular Microsequencer. I hate that little bastard with a passion.
But the Befaco Muxlicer is pretty intuitive and useful in comparison.
My micro Ornaments & Crime has a sequencer mode built into it that is very nice for its size (it can also do envelopes instead of gates.
I also have a Noise Engineering Digitalis Mementic... which is a great little sequencer for improvisation.

I'd buy one complex sequencer to start and one or two simple modules that can be triggered or sync'ed by the main sequencer.

If you like getting deep I enjoy the NerdSeq, I also plan on adding a er-101 just because it looks interesting.

If you dig the classic face value eloquencer and Metron are cool.

If you like getting deep I enjoy the NerdSeq, I also plan on adding a er-101 just because it looks interesting.

If you dig the classic face value eloquencer and Metron are cool.

-- spacewizardinspace

The NerdSeq is what's known as a "tracker" sequencer... made popular in the 1990s on computers like the Commodore Amiga. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trackers. But the workflow might stymie someone's creativity... depending on the individual.

Thanks for all the input above guys! I think I'm narrowing in on what could be good next adds for me. Much appreciated!!