My rack build is coming along...a little over half of my space currently filled in.

One of the modules I've been really looking into is u-he CVilization and I'm interested in feedback on the change that I've made to my build: ModularGrid Rack

I essentially removed two modules: 1. NLC Timbre & Timbre and 2. Doepfer A-118-2 and added the u-he CVilization and have 2HP leftover.

Thoughts?

JB

I'm not sure why its not showing the latest image of my build...if you click the image it takes you to the page with the build though?

JB

I looked over the build.

Things I didn't see:
Sequencers
Noise Generator
Sample & Hold

If you have to, I'd pull the Ladik slew limiter and the Zlob VCA to open up space. Those two units seem redundant for the size of the build. How will this rack be controlled? That's why I mentioned sequencers. Do you have an external device to do this?

I looked over the build.

Things I didn't see:
Sequencers
Noise Generator
Sample & Hold

If you have to, I'd pull the Ladik slew limiter and the Zlob VCA to open up space. Those two units seem redundant for the size of the build. How will this rack be controlled? That's why I mentioned sequencers. Do you have an external device to do this?
-- Ronin1973

Thanks for the reply. I have a bit of a "hybrid" setup. I plan to use Ableton Live (and its built in CV tools) with my Push 2 via my MOTU828 (which is DC coupled) for sequencing (hopefully)...I also will be using this setup with my Hydrasynth desktop and Arturia Minibrute 2.

I actually was just doing some YouTube research on "sample and hold" as I hear that term all the time and wasn't sure what it referred to so I'm glad you mentioned that because I like what I saw from examples of S&H videos I watched.

I purchased the slew limiter already but have not yet purchased the Zlob...I think I heard that you can never have enough VCAs :)

JB

I looked over the build.

Things I didn't see:
Sequencers
Noise Generator
Sample & Hold

-- Ronin1973

Thanks for the reply. I have a bit of a "hybrid" setup. I plan to use Ableton Live (and its built in CV tools) with my Push 2 via my MOTU828 (which is DC coupled) for sequencing (hopefully)...I also will be using this setup with my Hydrasynth desktop and Arturia Minibrute 2.

I actually was just doing some YouTube research on "sample and hold" as I hear that term all the time and wasn't sure what it referred to so I'm glad you mentioned that because I like what I saw from examples of S&H videos I watched.

I purchased the slew limiter already but have not yet purchased the Zlob...I think I heard that you can never have enough VCAs :)

-- jb61264

You can never have enough VCAs. But you only have so much SPACE! :)

Sample and hold, at its basics is pretty easy. All Eurorack is based on voltages. You plug a voltage source into a S&H circuit and then a source of triggers into the trigger input. When the module receives a trigger, it evaluates the current source voltage and outputs that exact voltage until it receives another trigger. So it SAMPLES a value and then HOLDS it.

Of course there are more features, caveats, and variations depending on the module. But at the basic level, this is what is going on under the hood.

Buy your set-up in stages. Don't buy everything at once. You WILL change your mind on some things as your experience grows. ALSO... you may redirect some of your budget to buying a second case... because... you can never have enough VCAS :)

In light of that great advice (go slow and buy another case)...what are thoughts on the add of CVilization? too much modulation stuff, should i ditch it in favor of another VCO or something else?

JB