Is this ever used for anything? I started into modular about 5-6 months back, have filled up the better part of a 9U 104 HP rack, and have yet to purchase or encounter anything that utilizes the 5v rail in any way. Am I missing something? Can someone explain its purpose or why many PSUs seem to dedicate even more power to the 5v rail than the seemingly much more important -12v rail? A bit confused about this obviously.

there was a period when a lot of digital modules took power from the 5v, but the trend now is to convert +12v to whatever is needed by the mcu (usually 5v or 3.3v)

these modules were often quite power hungry too

most modules use comparatively little -12v (except video, argh)

if your psu has a lot of spare 5v and you have some space in the rack you could consider a usb power module (there are a few available) and charge your phone, power a led lamp etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi,
On some actual module you can choose 5v converted from 12v or using 5v from power bus, with a jumper at the back of the module.
If you use 5v from power bus it lowers 12v consumption.
And some like Klavis Quadigy doesn't run without 5v.

Interesting @klodifokan I’ll have to check and see if any of my modules have that option. I’ve got some power to spare for the moment but if I can unburden the 12v rail at all that’ll be helpful long term.

Thanks for the info @JimHowell1970