So I bought a used DIY case with a sketchy synthrotek power supply off craigslist - a terribly thought out move that I will certainly not do again. I'm trying to find a new one, but I need it to fit these criteria:

1. Needs to be able to power a rack with 2470 mA on the +12, 1102 mA on the -12, nothing on the 5 (for now)

2. Needs to be able to power a 9U 104Hp case

I've been having trouble finding something that seems like it'll work. I'm under the impression that you're supposed to leave about 20% of the mA for headroom, but doesn't that mean I would need to have something with more than 3000 mA? Does such a thing even exist? Do I just do multiple supplies at that point? I'm honestly thinking about just getting another case, might even move up to a 3x126 if that ends up happening

Will 10 A do?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/trogotronic-m-15

Trogotronic has this for around $200, with three busboards, brick, cabling, and a 4 hp inlet. These can be modified in various ways, so what I would suggest is getting in touch with them directly and seeing what a "zero busboard" version of this would run you.

And yes, it's wise to have at least a 1/4th of your current in reserve for typical "startup inrush" issues...but with something like this, you could slam a few smallish cabs together on the one P/S. Plus, if 10A doesn't cut it, this can be scaled up to FORTY AMPS if necessary!

Damn, wish I'd known about Trogotronic when I was shopping for a PSU, for the price those specs seem terrific. I also spent too much on a so-so custom case with a shitty PSU when I got into modular earlier this year... there's a chunk of cash I really wish I had back. :( I ended up eventually replacing the included PSU with a 4MS Row Power 45 and a pair of Synthrotek's busboards, which has worked out great, but wasn't the cheapest solution. It cost more altogether than what Lugia linked, with only 2000/1400/1500 capacity. It's worked out just dandy for my purposes, but when I expand the build beyond what that PSU can handle, it's good to know about Trogotronic's offerings.

Will 10 A do?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/trogotronic-m-15

Trogotronic has this for around $200, with three busboards, brick, cabling, and a 4 hp inlet. These can be modified in various ways, so what I would suggest is getting in touch with them directly and seeing what a "zero busboard" version of this would run you.

And yes, it's wise to have at least a 1/4th of your current in reserve for typical "startup inrush" issues...but with something like this, you could slam a few smallish cabs together on the one P/S. Plus, if 10A doesn't cut it, this can be scaled up to FORTY AMPS if necessary!
-- Lugia

looks almost too good to be true... but they've got great reviews. what's the difference between the bezel ac inlet and the 4hp dc inlet?

looks almost too good to be true... but they've got great reviews. what's the difference between the bezel ac inlet and the 4hp dc inlet?
-- anonemoose

The 4HP goes into your rack, the bezel one needs to be mounted to/through the side/back in some way.

https://www.trogotronic.com/product/m15/

this user has left ModularGrid

And it's crazy-land power because Trogotronics is very accustomed to building tube gear. Those require overspecced power like you wouldn't believe, and the inrush on tubes can be really extreme. My bet is that that's a "stingy" 10A, and the REAL capacity is above that...10A is just what Trogotronics would like you to run it at.

I really, really appreciate the advice, and if Trogtronics weren't backordered I'd get one today. However I found someone local to me selling a 9U 126HP Erica Synths case with 1.25Ma per row on the + and - 12. Seems like it'll do the trick, and it'll even have more room for extra modules! I won't need to sell a few that I don't have room for!

Sounds like a win to me! Erica's "zoned" approach to power is something others have latched onto as well, with Arturia's Rackbrutes being good example of that. But the Erica cab build quality is also a plus...the only thing about the 3 x 126 that you'll need to watch is module depth, as it's kinda shallow over the P/S itself.

Sounds like a win to me! Erica's "zoned" approach to power is something others have latched onto as well, with Arturia's Rackbrutes being good example of that. But the Erica cab build quality is also a plus...the only thing about the 3 x 126 that you'll need to watch is module depth, as it's kinda shallow over the P/S itself.
-- Lugia

Yeah I was doing some googling about that, I've got 4 modules at 50mm deep (plasma drive, es-3, es-6, es-7), but I think the 7mm of clearance will be enough since I'm putting them in the corners

Just make sure you've got sufficient clearance for your ribbons. That's the important part.