https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1659134.jpg?1629091619

Dear all,

I am looking to enter the modular rabbit hole with the Minibrute 2s and Rackbrute 6u system.

I am looking for a versatile semi-mobile set up with the potential for live jamming with friends. Following feedback on previous racks, I have whittled it down to this set up.

Notes
• I already have a Neutron
• The sequencer on the Minibrute 2 s will be used for sequencing duties
• Feedback on previous rack posts mentioned the importance of utility modules. Would the 2 LFOs on the (Minibrute), patch bay on the Neutron and the Maths provide enough in this regard?

Here’s an improvisation to give an idea of the musical territory.

Any feedback would be welcome and much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

lfos are not utilities - they are modulation sources

utilities are things like (but not limited to) vcas, mixers, mults, switches, attenuators, offsets...

whilst maths does have some of these functions integrated into it, I find that it is best to see maths as it's own thing (the sum of the whole is more than the total of the parts - see the maths illustrated supplement for details) and duplicate the utility parts (attenuversion/basic mixing) as you will need them sooner or later - they are inexpensive, especially if you buy doepfer for example

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Personally I wouldn’t waste all they good HP space on the Neutron..I have a similar setup with Minibrute 2 and Rackbrute 6U, but I have an ASM Hydrasynth and bought a cool little separate stand for it and have it setting next to the Minibrute 2/Rackbrute 6U…not that I could mount the Hydrasynth in the 6U if I wanted to but even if I could, there’s no way I would when I can easily have a separate case for it…then you have your portability with the 6U/Minibrute 2 and a case carrying your Neutron

JB

this is a very good point racking semi-modulars that cpme with cases drastically increases the cost of the semi-, but as a starting point with fewer modules actually in the case I think they can be useful in suppressing gas!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this is a very good point racking semi-modulars that cpme with cases drastically increases the cost of the semi-, but as a starting point with fewer modules actually in the case I think they can be useful in suppressing gas!
-- JimHowell1970

Suppression of GAS is a good point…I certainly am guilty of GAS, but did do a lot of research and asking questions here beforehand…GAS certainly affects your ability to get proficient at any one or two modules..:my first purchase was Maths and that is a whole lot of learning right there…lol

JB

Many thanks to you both for your replies. I am very grateful to be able to ask these questions here!

Thanks again for your comments, Jim! Point taken re LFO and functions.

I agree with you regarding the Neutron space hog issue, jb. Actually, it's a 'gas stop' until I can start filling the bottom rack;)

Many thanks again!