So I’m still relatively new to this as a hobby and this might be a really stupid question, but after spending a lot of time scouring Reverb listings, I have to ask … who exactly is JunkieXL and why would I care that something was owned by him?

He's a fairly famous DJ/producer/composer. He recently liquidated a massive amount of gear that had been gathering dust in his studio.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkie_XL

Also worth noting: Junkie XL is also a big soundtrack composer as well. Think Hans Zimmer with more beats and about the same amount of gear prior to JXL's "studio yard sale".

So I’m still relatively new to this as a hobby and this might be a really stupid question, but after spending a lot of time scouring Reverb listings, I have to ask … who exactly is JunkieXL and why would I care that something was owned by him?
-- eexee

Haha! I asked that same question when I saw those listings. I didn't ask it when Rick Wakeman liquidated a load of warehoused items. I'm just glad I had the sense to let my brain make the decisions when browsing those listings. It would have been cool to have a Rick Wakeman Prophet 5 in the studio, but "cool" isn't enough justification for me to blow the extra bucks.

Yeah Tumeni.. I think there is a name for that phenomenon, where people assign extra value to something because “x” owned/wore/touched/sneezed on it.

Me personally, I could care less if Jesus Christ rose from the grave and farted eternal love onto the thing.

(And speaking of supposedly Christian values, unless any extra money accrued via the “owned by so and so” factor is going to some kind of legitimate charity, my gut feeling is that it’s a sleazily narcissistic thing to mention, at least to the extent of branding every listing with it).

I believe it’s known as contagion. Which is a bit of a creepy term. “Value” is certainly a complex philosophical concept, but at least it’s also a decidedly personal one. No doubt many would empty their bank accounts for an item that Jesus farted on. ;-)

Either that, or Uli'll buy it and clone it. He does have a bit of a track record at that sort of thing, after all...

Lol