Hi everyone,

Looking to put together a small modular system with just a few modules to start, and grow from there. I can’t afford a full system right now, what options are there for low cost, but versatile modules?

I know eurorack is generally expensive, but I plan on continuing to collect modules for a larger system - so I do want to go the eurorack route as opposed to other synths, etc.

In terms of style, I will be using this for scoring films, with an edm/techno twist - so lots of sound possibilities is important. Obviously that doesn’t make sense with such a small budget, but that is the eventual goal. Short term, I’m looking to have something I can mess around with while I work towards a larger budget synth.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Hi Ethan. This is going to be near impossible at your current budget. You can easily blow through $400 on a case and cables. Any modules that you can squeeze into that budget will be severely limited in their usefulness, as you likely won't be able to fit in all of the most basic components of a functioning synthesizer. I would highly recommend saving up AT LEAST a thousand dollars/euros/etc. to get close to something that is a bit more than a single oscillator and filter with onboard VCA. Save up for what you really want and buy those modules one at a time if necessary, and don't just buy something because it's an affordable alternative.
The Behringer Crave is a good inexpensive semi-modular alternative for under $400. It has everything you need to get started making some sound and you can incorporate it later on when you start building a rack.
What equipment do you currently have to use with a eurorack setup?

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, I know the functionality will be limited. Right now I compose for film using mainly sample libraries in Logic Pro. I own a Roland JD-XI, which I mainly use as a midi controller, as well as a few mics, pedals, etc. Nothing specifically eurorack compatible.

The Behringer Crave looks like a good option, and that might be the way I’ll go if there aren’t any possibilities with strictly eurorack.

Still curious as to what a $400-$500 eurorack option could look like with or without a semi modular as a base. What can I get out of a limited amount of modules? What modules are most versatile?

Well, it will be important for you to do a considerable amount of research for your individual needs. What is "versatile" to you may not be very useful for me. You will need to plan out exactly how large of a case and power supply you will need in the long run (not just right now). Are you interested in manipulating samples in your rack, or do you just need a good monosynth built to your specs? How many simultaneous voices do you need? Are you just wanting to sample the sounds of your rack into Logic, or do you hope to perform fleshed out compositions?
What exact problem do you see eurorack solving for you that you can't achieve now?

That is fair, and I have done a lot of research already. Although my goal is to own a large rack sometime in the future, I don’t plan on buying a large case/power supply in anticipation of that. I am going to start with a very small and inexpensive case, size based on the solution I go with (plus room for a couple new modules). Potentially portable, and then it might still have use after I buy a larger case.

I don’t necessarily need simultaneous voices with the small rack, as more than one or two would definitely limit my options in terms of what I can accomplish with it. I hope to eventually be able to compose full tracks in eurorack alone, but I don’t see that happening with such a small budget, so again that will be a future rack.

The main goal for the synth is to have access to a wide variety of sounds that I can sequence within the eurorack (unless an external sequencer is a better option). Mainly techno/edm, and sound design within the score.

So when I say versatility, I mean that it has lots of versatility in sound with a small amount of onboard sequencing. I would then record straight into logic.

I started with a used 104hp powered Make Noise skiff for about $200 plus tax. If you want something versatile, Mutable Instruments' Plaits is a good place to start looking, and you might be able to find a used one for about $200... and there's your budget.
But what about all of the other stuff to actually make it work? Cables, filters, LFOs, a sequencer, envelopes, effects, blind panels so you don't accidentally touch a cable to a power header and short everything out...
If you really think that getting into modular is the right direction for you, spend your $400 on a decent powered case (TipTop Mantis or small Doepfer for example), and then save up again until you can afford your first module. Then save up again for your next module. Repeat, repeat, repeat. I don't know your financial situation, but it may take a considerable amount of time until you have a useable system. Whatever you do, don't go into a large amount of debt.

Okay, thanks for the help. For the sake of the idea, lets not take the case into account. It seems like it is possible to find or build a small case for relatively cheap… if I need I could find an extra $100-$200 for that.

I’m just interested in what combinations of low cost modules have the most versatility - yield a variety of different sound possibilities.

Eh, I don't have any guidance for you there (aside from maybe Plaits if that is the right sound for you). I've already kind of given the best advice I have for you. Maybe some of the other members would like to chime in on specific low-cost modules/options.
Have fun and good luck.

Thanks! Might end up going with the Behringer Crave + a module or two unless another member has a different solution.

Better solution? Well, if you're considering a Crave but you want something more "modular-esque", I'd suggest a B.2600. It's a couple hundred $$ more, but it'll fit right in as a "modular core" that you can build around. Snag that and a Keystep Pro, and I can guarantee that you'll be busy for a while!

And yes...after a few months, I can now say with all certainty that their 2600 really is the "rev. 5" we never got due to ARP's post-Avatar implosion. I've found little to no significant differences between it and rev. 2, 3 and 4 versions. The VCFs sound right, the various CV paths do even the "not really supposed to work" stuff...worth it.

Good idea. Approaching $1000 for the 2600 and Keystep, but far more versatile than anything in the initial $400 budget.

What Lugia said is a excellent idea for new people (like myself) getting into the modular world.
I made a reservation on Sweetwater for the B.2600 Marvin edition, probably I will get it at the end of the year, but it is a solid step to get into modular and build around it.

Very true. And with a KSP, as noted above, you can use two lanes of sequencing and still have a third VCO for straight-up keyboard work when using it with just a 2600. Only one VCF, yeah...but the 4012 is awesome, given that it's the "lawsuit filter" that Bob Moog contended was a copy of his transistor ladder LPF.

In my case, I already have the SQ-64 and Keystep 37, and most likely I will get my Analog four MKII into the equation when needed. I think I am good on the Sequencing department for now. And yes, I want to put my hands on that blue thing asap. ^^

That looks like a great option. I also might be able to wait on the KSP for now, and use my current midi controller/sequencer?

Thoughts on the 2600 in terms of versatility in sound? After buying the 2600, what eurorack modules would be best to create more sound/timbre possibilities?

Sadly, I am not the right person to give you tips on this, I am on the same boat as you. But, I recommend you to start using the Finder Module option by category and read all about the modules and make some investigation on them, manuals and stuff. Then, you put together your own creation, don't worry, the people on modulargrid are awesome and will guide you and help you on all you doubts. I did that and they treated me really well and still do, and you can learn really fast after all their ideas and suggestions.
Just decide what kind of case you will need at first, make your rack public on the forum and the vast ocean of knowledge will come to you.

That looks like a great option. I also might be able to wait on the KSP for now, and use my current midi controller/sequencer?

Thoughts on the 2600 in terms of versatility in sound? After buying the 2600, what eurorack modules would be best to create more sound/timbre possibilities?
-- ethanlawrence

The ARP 2600 may actually be...even today...the BEST synth for learning the basics of analog synthesis. It's what I learned on, many years ago. There's no surprises, it doesn't do anything particularly quirky, it's just a hella solid patchable monosynth (or paraphonic...it all depends on how you configure/control it). It's also what the roots of Eurorack go back to, as ARP designed this with what we now consider standards: 1v/8va CV tracking, positive 5v gate/triggers...exactly what you'd expect in a present-day Eurorack setup.

As for what one sounds like, gives you perhaps one of the most iconic ARP 2600 tracks of all time. And yes, that's an ARP 3604 controller he's wearing!

Really, all one of these needs is a skiff with an extra HPF, some extra modulation, maybe a matrix mixer and a few other widgets...but not a whole lot else in "must-haves". Plus, the Behringer has the 3620 keyboard's "extras" on the main panel, so it's got the extra LFO, clocking, latching, all that; Korg did have those on the "nobody's gonna get one of these" 2600FS, but their "2600 for everyone else, ie. the 2600M" is crippleware next to the BARP, as the 2600M doesn't have the 3620 circuits, period. And having played 2600s with both the 3604 and 3620 controllers, there's really no comparison.

That’s sick! I’m definitely sold now. One last thought I had is if I wanted to incorporate a percussion based module, would it pair well with the 2600? What inexpensive options are there for a more aggressive percussion voice? I’ll do some research myself, but if you have any ideas in terms of pairing I’d love to hear them. And thank you!

The Behringer Neutron is probably going to be the only thing under $400US that is highly patchable and Eurorack compatible.
Erica Synths Pico System III is just under $500. But that's $100 above your price range.

For Eurorack I would budget $1000 to $2000 to get in the door.

You could very likely also pick up a used Arturia Minibrute 2S for $400. I'm very happy with mine, which I got for $475 USD new in Canada. Several YouTube videos of people doing (admittedly minimal) jams with these.

or go very low cost diy - beg/borrow/steal tools and an off cut of wood - there are some cheap ok diy psus out there too (frequency central for example)
and build up modules slowly over time - either diy or used or 'budget'
if you want to keep costs down don't go for expensive trendy modules (unless you can find a used bargain) go for simple building blocks - eg ladik and doepfer modules or similar in diy

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Good idea as well, I’ll probably go that route after getting the Behringer ARP 2600 (which I believe might be closer to what I’m looking for than the minibrute). Thanks everyone for all the help!

Behringer Crave is a good choice under $400. Further you can check this for good options.
https://www.playpianotips.com/best-synthesizer-for-beginners/
I personally use Behringer Crave and its good. But The “note” buttons are not smooth but hard-clickable... on live a bit annoying... here you are forced to hide the hard click sound that every key press produces mentally.
Otherwise, the device is quite valuable from the haptics... deck and front/back made of metal... feels good so far.
However, the technical and audiotechnical characteristics are the main reason why you buy this device from Behringer.
Okay for the price too.... but the click sounds when operating the buttons... close to the microswitch sound of old joysticks - only unfortunately with higher resistance... on sound devices like this, the sounds should only come from the device and not quasi-mechanical from operating the buttons.

Get a Behringer Neutron and a Korg SQ 1 to play with. Don't start with Eurorack unless you have a LOT of money. Gambling money to burn for an expensive hobby. 5 K at least. Will soon be 10 and you will have a wishlist for another 10 K.
A "small" case for a certain purpose will still cost 4-5 K and you would have to exactly know what you want and why. (Which i would slowly be able to do after having tried out about 100 modules and seen what i like and what not so much, not easy to do for a beginner.)
Or Get a 1010 music Blackbox (used for 400) and a field recorder and some free sample packs.
That makes a lot of sense for ambient/movie/performance soundscapes.