ModularGrid Rack

Hi all,
I'm a couple of months into my modular journey and having a lot of fun. I've been making electronic music for about 25 years, and going modular has really changed up how I'm approaching it. Much more tactile than a mouse!

This is my RackBrute plan, which I'm 8 modules into completing. Currently have Knit, Pluck, Euclid, Clep, Disting, Penrose, Quant Gemi, and the C4rbn. It's paired with a Minibrute 2s which is a godsend with it's switchable sequencer tracks, and I have an external Mackie mixer that's seeming to be doing ok padding the high gain from the direct outs of Plaits and Pluck. It also has 2 sends, which I have a Zoom studio delay, and EXH Cathedral reverb on. All this comes into Ableton Live for recording and layering, and also adding drums until the BIA fills that space.

Some really nice experiments so far include using Disting as an adder, and taking Clep's randomness, adding to a main sequence from the Minibrute, quantizing it with Penrose, sending to Pluck with the Euclid as a gate (also have combined this with gate from Penrose as notes change). Creates nice random shifting melodic top lines.

I was thinking 3 sound sources was not many for the HP, but then realised today that Tides can be an oscillator. The C4RBN has self-oscillation and v/o. Also there's the Minibrute voice (and the Disting can also be a sampler or oscillator, too!), so I guess it's 6 which is enough if I want to push it.

A question I have is: is the A-135-2 a reasonable solution for sub-mixing? The Mackie mixer has lots of ins, but I'm wondering if I can for example, sum Pluck and Plaits, and get them coming through a single out, to feed to Arhbar, or the C4rbn filter, perhaps modulating this level with CV? Or am I completely off the mark as to what that module is for?

I've also noted that it's quite nice to have a little space between modules, which I've totally not accounted for in my plan. What, if anything, could go to create some wiggle-room?

Any other feedback much welcome!

Cheers! Happy patching :)

Well... the A-135-2 is a yes AND no answer. It's more of a quad VCA. It'll work as a mixer... but then you give up the ability to use it as VCAs. You could press the Maths module into mixing duty if need be.

I'd go with clones of the Mutable stuff in less HP to make room for a dedicated submixer... else consider replacing something like the Intellijel sequencer with something smaller or a stand-alone sequencer. If you have your heart set on the configuration I would go for the smaller clones.

My $0.02.

It'll work as a mixer... but then you give up the ability to use it as VCAs. You could press the Maths module into mixing duty if need be.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks, that's good to know. Is it a case of jumpers at the back to switch between VCA/Mix modes, or is it dependent on how it's patched? If it's the former, I'd maybe be able to live with it, as that's kind of versatile.

Good point about the smaller clones. I'd envisaged the bottom row as a bit more spacious for ease of use and playability, but maybe there can be some compromise.

It'll work as a mixer... but then you give up the ability to use it as VCAs. You could press the Maths module into mixing duty if need be.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks, that's good to know. Is it a case of jumpers at the back to switch between VCA/Mix modes, or is it dependent on how it's patched? If it's the former, I'd maybe be able to live with it, as that's kind of versatile.

Good point about the smaller clones. I'd envisaged the bottom row as a bit more spacious for ease of use and playability, but maybe there can be some compromise.

-- ryanthegecko

I don't know the ins-and-outs of that particular module. I have an Intellijel quad VCA that also performs as a mixer. But these types basically work the same way: the bias knob will act as a volume pot, each output is normal'ed and summed to the next channel's output unless a patch cable is inserted.

If you'd like to create a volume envelope for your sound, typically you'd want to start and end with 0 amplitude. If the bias knob is already set partially open, then the envelope will start at that volume level and end at that volume level... not zero (assuming you're using positive voltages).

It's probably possible to use one or two of the VCA channels as VCAs.. then use the rest of the available channels to mix volumes with... if you're creative with your patching. But a dedicated four channel mixer would be a useful addition to this set-up.

Is it a case of jumpers at the back to switch between VCA/Mix modes, or is it dependent on how it's patched? If it's the former, I'd maybe be able to live with it, as that's kind of versatile.

-- ryanthegecko

I would check in the manual if I were you - they often hold the answers you are seeking - sometimes manuals can be ambiguous or confusing - so come and ask specific questions if you don't understand something

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hey @ryanthegecko do you mind providing a link to your rack vs. the image?

JB

Hey @ryanthegecko do you mind providing a link to your rack vs. the image?
-- jb61264

Heya, sure thing: ModularGrid Rack

what a mess
hehehe
maybe instead of the dopefer mixer/vca - something like veils which is both at once would be more appropriate, alm, intelijel and happy nerding make decent alternatives

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

what a mess
hehehe
maybe instead of the dopefer mixer/vca - something like veils which is both at once would be more appropriate, alm, intelijel and happy nerding make decent alternatives

-- JimHowell1970

Hehe, yeah it's a work-in-progress for sure. It's a little tidier now if clicked through, but looks like there's some caching for these images that are pulled from rack links.

Thanks for the advice. I'll maybe keep the a-135-2 for VCA duties, and look into a 7hp mixer that will fit instead of the Doepfer adder, since I discovered Disting can also do precision adding, as well as so many other things. I'm playing around with the SD card sample playback algos right now. A bit quirky, but what a versatile unit! Any idea why it's called 'Disting'? Sounds a bit like a Jamaican accented 'This thing'. Like - what do I need for this gap in my patch? Dis ting!

that's always how I'd thought of it - this thing!

just remember that disting can only do one (or 2, depending on model) thing at a time - you'll probably find you use it primarily for a one or 2 things after a while - replace them with dedicated modules and continue exploring the disting - I'm currently using mine as an extra vca - AR envelope for noiseout of deckards voice into rings - which is in turn fed though magneto with a wasp filter in the send return loop - sounds epic!

I always used to use mine as a tape echo - then I caved and got an fx aid xl and then magneto - heheh always more modules!