I was fortunate enough to travel again recently but I missed my A100 modular system.

As a result, I thought that I would try to put together a system that I could take on future trips.

What are your thoughts?

Not sure on having so much hp tied up in both pams and fh-2, if you are looking at midi sequencing you can get envelopes/gates/clocks/cv from fh-2 saving 8 hp, you could pick up a filter and effects.

Its limited and small, but I am assuming that is part of what you are looking for.

Not sure on having so much hp tied up in both pams and fh-2, if you are looking at midi sequencing you can get envelopes/gates/clocks/cv from fh-2 saving 8 hp, you could pick up a filter and effects.

Its limited and small, but I am assuming that is part of what you are looking for.
-- mog00

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. It doesn't include the FH-2 but the Disting EX which I think would allow for some sequencing, filtering and effects.

You are right, I wanted something small that would not take up too much space in carry-on luggage.

I do hope to put it together and look forward to seeing what it can do but I am concerned about the depth of the Disting if I were to use a 4MS Pod. Do you have any experience with those?

Thanks!

This is my first comment on someone else's rack so maybe take it with a pinch of salt!

I think Pam's a a nice choice here because I'm assuming you intend to use it to modulate the BIA to extract all them sounds, right? Plus you can self-patch it for 2 layers of modulation. You could maybe shave a few HP with a more narrow 8HP Plaits clone and get a 2HP Turing and wouldn't you need the 2HP left over for a mixer?

@InvictaRed I do not, though it looks like the disting is 50mm deep and the 4MS pods are 50.8mm seems a bit tight and could be a problem if tolerances are not exact (often the case, I couldn't fit a standard 19inch rack patch bay in my desk because the tolerance was off by a fraction)

Yeah these shallow skiffs are challenging. Disting EX won't fit into a Intellijel Palette either, which would've opened up a 1U row also. I think the Make Noise skiff is deeper but dunno if that is taking the bus boards into consideration. Might have to go the custom route!

The nifty case is 55mm but is also 84hp so a bit bigger, although that could be seen as a plus. I don't have any experience with these cases but seems to be a decent bargain with the included midi.

This is my first comment on someone else's rack so maybe take it with a pinch of salt!

I think Pam's a a nice choice here because I'm assuming you intend to use it to modulate the BIA to extract all them sounds, right? Plus you can self-patch it for 2 layers of modulation. You could maybe shave a few HP with a more narrow 8HP Plaits clone and get a 2HP Turing and wouldn't you need the 2HP left over for a mixer?
-- Manbearpignick

Thanks for your thoughts.

The Disting could be used to do some mixing, I think, but, you're right, some kind of Turing machine would be good.

So many options!

@InvictaRed I do not, though it looks like the disting is 50mm deep and the 4MS pods are 50.8mm seems a bit tight and could be a problem if tolerances are not exact (often the case, I couldn't fit a standard 19inch rack patch bay in my desk because the tolerance was off by a fraction)
-- mog00

It does sound tight, doesn't it?

I have space for the Disting in the A100 so I'll be able to get a better idea of it when I can justify that purchase!

Thanks for your help!

Yeah these shallow skiffs are challenging. Disting EX won't fit into a Intellijel Palette either, which would've opened up a 1U row also. I think the Make Noise skiff is deeper but dunno if that is taking the bus boards into consideration. Might have to go the custom route!
-- Manbearpignick

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'm going to have to do some careful measuring when I get the Disting for my A100!

The nifty case is 55mm but is also 84hp so a bit bigger, although that could be seen as a plus. I don't have any experience with these cases but seems to be a decent bargain with the included midi.
-- mog00

I started with a NiftyCase! I think they're great! If you're considering getting one, I would recommend doing so. But they don't offer the portability of 40HP, which was an important consideration for this system.

The Disting could be used to do some mixing, I think, but, you're right, some kind of Turing machine would be good.

-- InvictaRed

Yeah but if you use the Disting for mixing Plaits, BIA and whatever mults, then you can't use the Disting for anything else. The only way I can think of maximizing the 40HP limitation is to throw in another Disting! You'll be reading menus throughout the vacation but you can pretty much do anything with 3 Distings + 2 SD cards full of samples etc (or 1 mk4 and the EX in single mode).

ModularGrid Rack