Am I the only one who thinks that the price information of DYI modules is often totally unreasonable, as it is the case here? 15 € is only for the panel and the PCB. Saying that this whole module costs only so much means totally misrepresenting the actual cost.

Hi, author here. I agree with you, but the fact is I don't offer assembled builds at all, so there's no other price I can enter. An estimated parts cost would be equally misleading, since it can vary a lot and be too small anyway. Maybe I should remove the price altogether?

Hey Joe,

agreed, estimating the costs for parts is not trivial. Yes, one approach would be to remove the price from the overview (as you already have done), but include it in the description.

I actually hoped that any of the Modulargrid admins would see this post in order to start a discussion about how to deal with the topic of DYI module pricing, since it's an unsolved issue as far as I know. On the other hand, I might be one of the very few who has a problem with imprecise quotation of prices. So please, accept my apologies if I offended you with my quite harsh words!

Keep up the good work!
MAB

Not offended at all, I agree with you. I contacted the admins to ask about the "best pratice", they also suggested to include the price in the description (although I prefer not to, in this case) and told me "the price (field) should reflect what is needed to build the whole module". So, yeah, I guess we all kinda agree here, given I don't have kits available (at least, not at the moment), I preferred to just clear the field. Thanks for the feedback!

I do a bit of module-sleuthing from time to time, and when I add DIY modules, I tend to put the "worst case" price in...because while people HATE surprises like modules they thought were one price but they ACTUALLY come in at something higher, they do like it when things come in LOWER. It's sort of like "free money", psychologically. So if there's just a board and panel, I'll drop that price in, but I try to also note in the description that the price is for "PCB and panel only". However, getting users to all do the same sort of thing on that is like herding cats, so I just do what I do and hope it filters down somewhere.