Hi,

I'm Mudi from BinaryNights. I have been working on a eurorack module and an iOS app that would really fit my sequencer needs.
I have a crude prototype and a very basic working app which you can see here:
The module and the app is connected by WIFI and changes to the sequence are transmitted realtime.
I think it has endless possibilities. Would you use something like this? Please share your thoughts.

Hi Mudi,

It's certainly an interesting concept you have there. "Writing" that line as a modulator is the main benefit in this demo I guess :-) In your demo I see only two voices right? So how many voices would be maximum possible? Is ratcheting possible? Is there a step editor for the (fine) adjustments? How many steps are maximum possible? Can each voice have their own step-length? Is backwards possible and random and ping-pong, etcetera (on a per voice basis)?

It's difficult to have an opinion on something where I still have so many questions ;-) What you could do for example is to download all the manuals of the main/major sequencers, like Erica Synths Black Sequencer and Erica Synths Drum Sequencer, Five12 Vector & Jack Expander, endorphin.es Ground Control, Frap Tools USTA, IME Stillson Hammer, Intellijel Metropolix, Make Noise Renรฉ 2, Malekko Heavy Industry Varigate 8+, Squarp Hermod, Winter Modular Eloquencer, WMD Metron + extension modules and XOR-Electronics Nerdseq, just to name a few famous and most used sequencers; but there are many more.

For a list of medium and large sequencers please check out this website:

https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/

So you can compare the specifications of your sequencer against those already launched on the market. Perhaps a few functionalities you might not have covered yet? Once you covered all the functionality of those main sequencers, then your sequencer becomes extremely interesting :-) But is that feasible, I am not sure? I have thought myself of perhaps in the future building a sequencer as well however to cover all the functionality, hence to beat the competitors on all levels, might be close to impossible since there are several different types of sequencers that might be not easy to let them co-exist. For details see that above mentioned website that really provides a lot of information on sequencers.

For my own modular synthesizer I would prefer a module on its own (extension modules are totally acceptable), without the need of another controller, computer, tablet, smartphone or iPad, but that might be just me. But if it comes with a small module in Eurorack and an external controller (like your solution), then I would prefer a wired solution (not wireless like WiFi) for stability as well as for less interference in my studio setup.

Please keep us updated on how your project goes and perhaps you can share a website with us where we can find the details? Thank you very much and kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: removed typo and added one other little requirement ;-)

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi GarfieldModular,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts I really appreciate it.

Yes, the demo was built around the modulation track which I just finished that time.

Currently it has 8 cv outputs but I would like to have it at least 16 which could be extended to 32. That's the plan :)
What it can do do now is very limited but my concept is that you could choose from many type of tracks (voice) depending on your needs e.g: Pitch/Gate, Pitch/ADSR, Chords/Gate, Trigger, Modulation, LFO, etc... (limited by my imagination). So you pick a type and the corresponding CV output(s) and it will be added to the user interface as a track. For example I'm currently working on a type that will mimic the (sequencer) interface of DFAM which I really liked.

Yes, to compete with all the sequencers is virtually impossible but almost any functionality could be added on demand.
I also realised I could make this into a sampler with a "few" lines of code...

In my environment the WiFi connection is totally seamless but I'm considering a wired connection in the future as "zero" communication latency would open more possibilities.

I don't currently have a website nor any specifications because this is not much more than a proof of concept ATM. I will share the progress on my youtube channel and will also keep you updated here.

So you pick a type and the corresponding CV output(s) and it will be added to the user interface as a track. For example I'm currently working on a type that will mimic the (sequencer) interface of DFAM which I really liked.
-- mudi

Hi Mudi,

That sounds indeed very interesting. Also if it only would be a "few" lines of code to add some sampler functionality that makes it (very) attractive as well I think. That might go perhaps a bit into the style of Elektron, for example the Octatrack.

Okay, good luck with the PoC. Once you have finished your PoC and you decide to continue this, then it would be nice to hear from you again with hopefully interesting details :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Just "finished" the the DFAM style track(s). It's outputing 3 CVs: Trigger, Pitch and velocity. I tried to patch in a way that it sounds like a real DFAM. Check it out:

Hi,
This is really great.
What kind of midi/cv interface are you using?
The box behind the iPad.

Cheers

Hi Klodifokan,

The module I'm using is my own development. It's running a sw that communicates with the iPad.
The iPad sends over the data through a TCP/IP socket (WiFi) as a CV sequence that the module stores in its memory and plays it back with a given tempo.

Thanks.

Do you plan a 32 channel cv interface?๐Ÿ˜

Cheers

Thanks.

Do you plan a 32 channel cv interface?๐Ÿ˜

Cheers
-- klodifokan

Absolutely! As I mentioned above I would like to have it at least 16 which could be extended to 32. I love polyphony I'll need that. :)

Hi,

Let us know when your midi interface will be for sale.
If you have some for sale.

Thanks for your work.

Cheers

Hi,

Let us know when your midi interface will be for sale.
If you have some for sale.

Thanks for your work.

Cheers
-- klodifokan

Thanks for the interest but it's long way to go.
I don't know what would be the best business model for this product. Sell the HW and provide a free app (App Store) or make an Opensource/DIY HW and release a paid app?

Just out of curiosity, Liine's Lemur running on an iPad and driving something like a Expert Sleepers FH2... how is this superior?

Just out of curiosity, Liine's Lemur running on an iPad and driving something like a Expert Sleepers FH2... how is this superior?
-- Ronin1973

From a purely technical standpoint this is not limited to the bandwidth of the MIDI and can easily go audio rate and also does not have any limitation that MIDI may impose. This is more like CVTools in Ableton.
I want this to be just l like any other Eurorack sequencers on the market but with a superior interface which can grow to anything.
This is purpose built and designed for Eurorack.

Just got the first prototype ready. Most of the work on the hw side is done.

Raquencer proto v1

I did some work on the SW side too. Check it out here:

Hi Mudi,

Wow a big progress you made there!

Any chance that you are going to add CV inputs to your Eurorack module for this sequencer? :-)

Some basic knobs, buttons and switches as well so one could control, let's say, the main functions not only via the iPad but via the module as well?

Interesting teaser, I can't wait for the rest to come! :-) Good luck with the progress and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi GarfieldModular,

Thank you! :)

Could you give me some examples? Play/Stop or something more complex?

this user has left ModularGrid

I want this to be just l like any other Eurorack sequencers on the market but with a superior interface which can grow to anything.
-- mudi

Very nice project, I'll be keeping an eye on this. A mouse is a pretty good interface to do office stuff, but I loathe using it to draw automation curves or sequence stuff, so using touch on an iPad is something I can definitely see myself using.

Wishing you all the best success !

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Hi Mudi,

Ha, ha, I will be honest here with you, that for a little moment I forgot that the user interface is mainly done via the iPad. Still some main controls on that Eurorack module wouldn't harm and indeed, as you suggest yourself already two or three (or more) buttons for play, pause, stop, reverse, forward, (record?), reverse, back to beginning point, select channel/track, delete, copy, paste, edit, redo, etcetera, functions might be a good addition. I just mention a ton of functions, it doesn't mean all need to be implemented, just to give you some ideas, that's all.

What I actually meant to say/ask and indeed I was unclear about that, is that I miss some CV inputs. That certain sequencer functionality can be controlled by CVs. I don't know the exact functionality of your sequencer (yet), so it's difficult to say exactly what but that at least some main functions of your sequencer (those that would make sense at least) can be CV controlled as well, so either by iPad and/or by CV. For example that "drawing" of the sequencer, would be perhaps interesting if one can control that under certain circumstances by a CV input as well. Just as an example. You are the one who knows your sequencer the best, so I leave it up to you how and which CV inputs would make sense, if at all.

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield.

-- mudi

Very nice project, I'll be keeping an eye on this. A mouse is a pretty good interface to do office stuff, but I loathe using it to draw automation curves or sequence stuff, so using touch on an iPad is something I can definitely see myself using.

Wishing you all the best success !

-- toodee

Thank you. I can promise you it's way better and more efficient than using a mouse. I didn't find any way inferior to a hardware sequencer but rather the opposite . But don't take may word for it as I'm the developer :)

Hi Mudi,

Ha, ha, I will be honest here with you, that for a little moment I forgot that the user interface is mainly done via the iPad. Still some main controls on that Eurorack module wouldn't harm and indeed, as you suggest yourself already two or three (or more) buttons for play, pause, stop, reverse, forward, (record?), reverse, back to beginning point, select channel/track, delete, copy, paste, edit, redo, etcetera, functions might be a good addition. I just mention a ton of functions, it doesn't mean all need to be implemented, just to give you some ideas, that's all.

What I actually meant to say/ask and indeed I was unclear about that, is that I miss some CV inputs. That certain sequencer functionality can be controlled by CVs. I don't know the exact functionality of your sequencer (yet), so it's difficult to say exactly what but that at least some main functions of your sequencer (those that would make sense at least) can be CV controlled as well, so either by iPad and/or by CV. For example that "drawing" of the sequencer, would be perhaps interesting if one can control that under certain circumstances by a CV input as well. Just as an example. You are the one who knows your sequencer the best, so I leave it up to you how and which CV inputs would make sense, if at all.

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hi Garfield,

I see your point. The way it works (now) would make it tricky to add those functionalities and I promise you will prefer doing those actions on the iPad/iPhone. The module itself is a "dumb" endpoint which doesn't know anything about music, track, notes, modulations. All it does is output (when it's told) certain voltages at certain times. I tried hard to keep it simple and move all the advanced stuff to the iOS side. I will do a video where I'll explain how it works in more details. I'll keep you updated.

Your feedback is really appricated.

Hi Mudi,

Okay great, thanks a lot for coming back to me about this. I look forward seeing that promised video then :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi,

Just a quick update.
You can add/delete tracks now. Added controls for glide and velocity and track playhead.

Looks awesome. Intuitive and powerful!

Hi Mudi,

Wow, I can see the progress, this looks more and more promising! :-) Keep up the good work!

Please keep us updated and kind regards, Garfield.

Thank you. There are constant architectural changes as I encounter challenges but it's definitely progressing. I decided to move more logic to the module itself to reduce network traffic, allow randomisation and "inter-modulation" in the future. The HW is also being redesigned to be much less HP.

Another small demo: