To date, I have everything in my rack except the Sirius' Veil (filter that I had considered pairing with the same buidlers VCO to the left) and QX Expander for Quadrax (keeping space reserved for whenever Intellijel decides to release more...ugh, impossible to find one right now)
ModularGrid Rack

Would love feedback on the questions below:

1. I have 14HP set aside for Sirius' Veil but recently considered Patching Panda Moonphase (same HP...better features?) or Supercritical Synthesizers Neutron Flux (2HP smaller...that price though). Aside from the module names being a great match (gravitational waves and moonphase...seriously how could they not be a perfect match) any thoughts on one or the other? Also looking at the Neutron Flux now...I would gain 2HP but that price is certainly giving me a little heartburn. For a smaller setup like mine though, the flexibility it offers it appears to offer may be a smarter choice for me...thoughts?

2. Considering the 18HP (or 20 if I go with Neutron Flux), I am looking at for sure adding Disting EX (again, for a smaller setup, this seems like a good choice to provide added flexibility) which leaves me with 10HP (or 12) for which I am considering another 10HP VCO (Richter Wogglebug, MANGROVE, Loquelic Iteritas, Manis Iteritas, Cursus Iteritas). Any thoughts on a good VCO fill for the 10HP?

3. Anything glaring that I am missing and should consider before any of the above?

JB

Here's a twisted idea for #2: instead of going with a VCO, you might find this more useful both as a sine VCO (up to a certain range) AND as a special LFO: Doepfer's A-143-9. Quadrature LFO modulation might sound quite interesting...for example, you could send the four phase-shifted outputs to the Veils' CV ins and get a perfect overlapping "strum" from the VCAs. Other possibilities are there, too...

I can see the temptation of another filter here but I'd probably add more modulation or utilities, maybe a Turing Machine, Links or Kinks (even though those two are out of print I guess? what do we recommend now???) or barring that a different end of chain effect, maybe a Beads.

links is still 'in production' - well hasn't been 'discontinued' yet - probably will do sooner or later
kinks is discontinued but last time I looked there were some still available in stores
wmd/ssf toolbox is a good substitute for kinks if you can't find one though

Emilie is discontinuing anything that has the old aesthetic (coloured knob caps) or does not sell well

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Here's a twisted idea for #2: instead of going with a VCO, you might find this more useful both as a sine VCO (up to a certain range) AND as a special LFO: Doepfer's A-143-9. Quadrature LFO modulation might sound quite interesting...for example, you could send the four phase-shifted outputs to the Veils' CV ins and get a perfect overlapping "strum" from the VCAs. Other possibilities are there, too...
-- Lugia

Interesting you say that...before I went down the path of just adding another VCO (Richter Wogglebug, MANGROVE, Loquelic Iteritas, Manis Iteritas, Cursus Iteritas were in the HP range I was considering) I did searches on primary=VCO secondary=LFO because I was wondering if I had LFO covered but then remembered I have Maths and Quadrax (I just today got notification that Perfect Circuit has QX Expander in and ordered immediately!!) so figured I had that realm pretty well covered. Is the Doepfer you recommend sort of a 'specialty' VCO/LFO module then? vs like what came up in my search (Dixie II+ and others)

JB

I can see the temptation of another filter here but I'd probably add more modulation or utilities, maybe a Turing Machine, Links or Kinks (even though those two are out of print I guess? what do we recommend now???) or barring that a different end of chain effect, maybe a Beads.
-- troux
well, I'm not really 'adding' another filter...just considering which one to get...planned on Sirius' Veil (which is the same builder as my VCO Gravitational Waves) but now wondering if Neutron Flux makes more sense for my small setup (more $ but 2HP smaller and I think a lot more flexibility). My question is what to fill the remaining 10HP (or 12HP if I go with Neutron Flux) with...thought another VCO since I have Warps and might be a good to have another to use with that and to just have another VCO. The Make Noise Wogglebug has some nice extra features besides being another VCO. Lugia brought up maybe adding Doepfer's A-143-9

JB

before I went down the path of just adding another VCO (Richter Wogglebug, MANGROVE, Loquelic Iteritas, Manis Iteritas, Cursus Iteritas were in the HP range I was considering) I did searches on primary=VCO secondary=LFO because I was wondering if I had LFO covered but then remembered I have Maths and Quadrax (I just today got notification that Perfect Circuit has QX Expander in and ordered immediately!!) so figured I had that realm pretty well covered. Is the Doepfer you recommend sort of a 'specialty' VCO/LFO module then?
-- jb61264

Precisely. The module outputs four sines, but each output is offset from the previous one by 90 degrees. So if you were to use each quadrature out to, say, control the Veils, what you would get is a continuous overlap of the different VCA outs, fading in and out of each quadrature-controlled VCA. This can also have some fun with the 321 and especially the Sirius' Veil, plus you might find a couple of these outputs amusing for modulating the FX Aid XL by using the 180-degree-opposed outs.

Precisely. The module outputs four sines, but each output is offset from the previous one by 90 degrees. So if you were to use each quadrature out to, say, control the Veils, what you would get is a continuous overlap of the different VCA outs, fading in and out of each quadrature-controlled VCA. This can also have some fun with the 321 and especially the Sirius' Veil, plus you might find a couple of these outputs amusing for modulating the FX Aid XL by using the 180-degree-opposed outs.

-- Lugia

Cool...thanks Lugia! Any thoughts on my filter dilemma? I had planned on Sirius' Veil but am wondering if I should opt for Neutron Flux (yes more $ but for my smaller setup maybe a lot more filter flexibility?)...had also looked at Moonphase from Patching Panda. Nothing against Void Modular but he doesn't currently have very good documentation on his modules...still toying around with Gravitational Waves...not that I don't love to tinker but a little guidance documentation would be nice :)

JB

Void's probably following the Brian Eno logic for how to figure out synthesizers: install, toss operating directions out, develop own methods instead. And that's perfectly valid...the other school of thought is to pore over the docs before using, but the critique there is that what you learn is a rather "doctrinaire" set of use methods.

As for the different filters, here's a different and potentially better idea: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinearcircuits-timbre-timbre Instead of changing the filter, add this after the Gravitational Waves to alter the waveforms in ways that the dual oscillator alone can't. Whenever you do waveshaping of any sort, what happens is that the waveform gets altered in some way, which then alters the harmonic content of the original sound. This sort of circuit is in the Moonphase, but it's much more flexible to NOT have the waveshaper in another module, as you can also use them for screwing around with LFO waveforms.

Void's probably following the Brian Eno logic for how to figure out synthesizers: install, toss operating directions out, develop own methods instead. And that's perfectly valid...the other school of thought is to pore over the docs before using, but the critique there is that what you learn is a rather "doctrinaire" set of use methods.

As for the different filters, here's a different and potentially better idea: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinearcircuits-timbre-timbre Instead of changing the filter, add this after the Gravitational Waves to alter the waveforms in ways that the dual oscillator alone can't. Whenever you do waveshaping of any sort, what happens is that the waveform gets altered in some way, which then alters the harmonic content of the original sound. This sort of circuit is in the Moonphase, but it's much more flexible to NOT have the waveshaper in another module, as you can also use them for screwing around with LFO waveforms.
-- Lugia
I'm happy to take the Eno logic path on a module, just not sure about doubling up on it with Sirius' Veil too. So with Timbre & Timbre is it doing what is also called "wavefolding"? Are waveshaping and wavefolding the same? With my Hydrasynth, I do have the ability to do ring modulation...is that a form of waveshaping? I also have Warps which I would assume is also waveshaping/wavefolding? I think I do want to have a 'filter' occupy that space...just not sure which one makes most sense.

I do like the cool factor you described with the Doepfer A-143-9...if I got Neutron Flux for my filter that would give me 12HP...8HP for the Doepfer with 4HP which could possibly go to Kinks if I could find one. SSF Toolbox would be nice but is 2HP too big.

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

The RackBrute 3U and 6U cases are actually 89 HP wide, and if you replace the PS panel, you've got an extra 2 hp.
-- Vow3ll
So Arturia falsely advertises 88HP? Not sure I'm following you...their website specifies 88 for 3U, 176 for 6U
What are you suggesting replacing the PS panel with?

JB

Arturia is probably stating that the width is 88 hp because they want some airflow around the edges of the module layout. This is a perfectly valid way to keep heat buildup in the cab from becoming a problem, as overheating can damage components (caps especially) over time, alter module calibrations, screw with tuning stability, and the like.

Talking of heat, I think the Rackbrute case I bought had a problem, it got really hot and smelled like burning plastic and made the room stink. This ended up going back to the supplier who fit a new Power supply and sent it back. I'd lost faith in it by this point so left it boxed up and sold it on.
I'd never had a problem with my TipTop uZeus (x2) or my subsequent KonstantLab Power, I even found some of my modules ran cooler when NOT in the Rackbrute.

Hopefully this was a one-off and you'll have a good experience with Arturia.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

The RackBrute 3U and 6U cases are actually 89 HP wide, and if you replace the PS panel, you've got an extra 2 hp.
-- Vow3ll
I'll be darned if you're not right! :)
Today I received my Quadrax QX Expander after searching for one for the last 4-5 months. It was the last component I needed in order to fill out the top row of my Rackbrute 6U. With the rack on Modular Grid, what I had in place for the advertised 88HP fit perfectly, but after moving my modules around to match how I had it laid out on MG, there is 1HP gap at the end.

I wonder why they didn't just build ventilation into the side of the panel? even a smaller circular vent would have been very efficient I think. I don't know how effective a 1HP gap will be but I guess its better than nothing.

JB

Arturia is probably stating that the width is 88 hp because they want some airflow around the edges of the module layout. This is a perfectly valid way to keep heat buildup in the cab from becoming a problem, as overheating can damage components (caps especially) over time, alter module calibrations, screw with tuning stability, and the like.
-- Lugia
I did discover that there is a 1HP difference after filling in the top row of my Rackbrute 6U. On modular grid, the HP maps out to fit the 88HP perfectly but when I fill in my modules, sure enough, there is a 1HP gap at the end. I wonder how effective/efficient that will be for overheating? They could have easily just built some circular or rectangular vents into the side of the Rackbrute.

JB

Talking of heat, I think the Rackbrute case I bought had a problem, it got really hot and smelled like burning plastic and made the room stink. This ended up going back to the supplier who fit a new Power supply and sent it back. I'd lost faith in it by this point so left it boxed up and sold it on.
I'd never had a problem with my TipTop uZeus (x2) or my subsequent KonstantLab Power, I even found some of my modules ran cooler when NOT in the Rackbrute.

Hopefully this was a one-off and you'll have a good experience with Arturia.
-- wishbonebrewery
Did you have any 1HP gap on your Rackbrute 6U? I found that after I put in 88HP of modules, there is a 1HP gap...if you had that as well and still had overheating issues, I'm going to be concerned.

JB

Did you have any 1HP gap on your Rackbrute 6U? I found that after I put in 88HP of modules, there is a 1HP gap...if you had that as well and still had overheating issues, I'm going to be concerned.

-- jb61264

I never even got it full, only managed about 1 and a quarter filled.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

No idea, but my 6U's are heavily modified - power, custom ventilation, mixed media decoration. Why? For the same reason, I build custom PC's when others buy them off the shelf.

a. I've run completely stock -full 6U cases and had zero heat problems. And I've tested them with the same gear I use to do heat map, airflow, and ventilation design for the PCs.

b. Working to make some custom powder-coated blanks with varying ventilation designs and colors in useful hp sizes, but covid and paying projects have slowed things down a tad.

-- Vow3ll

Badass man! do you have any videos of your 6U mods?

JB

Final decisions and purchases made to complete my Rackbrute 6U build (although is anything ever complete in modular?)
For the last 10HP that I had available, I decided to go with Instruo Ts-L and Mutable Instruments Kinks
I do see one modification coming and that is to replace the Ladik Gateable Slew Limiter with a Disting MK4 (which has the slew limiting functionality and of course much more)

I do have a question, I am considering moving the Rackbrute power supply to the lower right...but this is also where I currently have my Bastl Ciao quad line output....bad idea to have the power right next to the output like that? maybe I move power back to upper left corner and Ciao next to the Cosmix and Preamp and Warps comes down to lower right...

ModularGrid Rack

JB

Final decisions and purchases made to complete my Rackbrute 6U build (although is anything ever complete in modular?)

never...

For the last 10HP that I had available, I decided to go with Instruo Ts-L and Mutable Instruments Kinks

kinks is good but discontinued - wmd/ssf toolbox is good substitute - but 6hp - I'd prioritise this over new sound source - more utilities better than more sound sources imo!

I do see one modification coming and that is to replace the Ladik Gateable Slew Limiter with a Disting MK4 (which has the slew limiting functionality and of course much more)

I do have a question, I am considering moving the Rackbrute power supply to the lower right...but this is also where I currently have my Bastl Ciao quad line output....bad idea to have the power right next to the output like that? maybe I move power back to upper left corner and Ciao next to the Cosmix and Preamp and Warps comes down to lower right...

ModularGrid Rack
-- jb61264

no idea about rack wart... don't use them - waste of space if you ask me!!!

wouldn't bother with mk4 you have ex...

maybe in next case with next sound source!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

kinks is good but discontinued - wmd/ssf toolbox is good substitute - but 6hp - I'd prioritise this over new sound source - more utilities better than more sound sources imo!
I was able to find kinks at detroit modular :)

no idea about rack wart... don't use them - waste of space if you ask me!!!
Can't disagree with you on that...the Rackbrute 6U was a 'post' Minibrute 2 purchase...like the idea that I could connect and possibly carry it all together...so I have to accept the wasted space for now (unless I find a really cool modification I can d0...that I would feel comfortable doing...to power it differently).

maybe in next case with next sound source!!!
Funny you should say that as I was just looking at cases...someone had a Frap 84HP case that I was looking at but you still end up having to install a power supply as a module with that...what would you recommend to complement my 6U now? Would like to keep the same size (84HP roughly) as the 6U width-wise as it fits nicely in the space where I have my 6U/Hydrasynth/Beatstep Pro

-- JimHowell1970

JB

84hp - doepfer lc9 cannot be beaten economically (cost/ total hp) - but may be a bit under powered if a lot of high power modules - analog modules are fine - some digital ones are horrific...

104hp - mantis... exceptional case - a bit low on -ve rail for my purposes (video) but great none the less!! I have one of these and use it for video or as a portable audio case - fantastic and rock solid - quiet as you could want up to video rates (no dirt in video) so also perfect for audio

or build your own - if you have basic wood working skills - ie you can use a saw and a drill (I could even 35 years + after doing any)
and a screwdriver - then you will save yourself a lot of cash...

as with mixer channels, audio interface channels and vcas - always, always go bigger than you think you'll need... because you will, sooner or later...

exception (there are always exceptions) is if you have a massive case already and want a case specifically to concentrate on a new module or as a satellite - ie control, sequencing, effects... as for portable pull out cases - that's what my mantis is for... portable by anyone except small children, the infirm or exceptionally elderly - mine's been on many - otherwise beauty cases are for people who need to fit their modular synth in their handbags...