Hi folks,

this is my first setup, which is actually divided between two rack cases (one Doepfer 6U and one Dreadbox 3U), and the dreadbox has some utility modules ready (two mixers, two multipliers, 4 attenuators, MIDI to CV and one lfo).
And I'm also using a Dreadbox NYX as an additional synth voice. I'm clocking the whole from Ableton and also sequencing some from there (via Arturia Keystep).

I've been looking for some more sequencing power, the Metropolis is great but some more is needed. I was looking at Malekko Voltage block or one of the Varigates, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere in Europe I looked for. Verbos Multistage looks tempting, but a bit on the expensive side...

Any ideas welcome, cheers!

best,

Jussi L.

I'd look at the Erica Synth Black Sequencer. It has 16 encoders on it. I'm assuming that if you have the Metropolis, that you like having sliders/knobs for input. Erica's website lists it at 510 Euros. Erica is based in Europe as well.

Research it and see if it's for you.

I am also using Ableton but have a Beatstep Pro...I've been using the BSP as my primary clock source in my setup (which also includes a Hydrasynth desktop and my Rackbrute 6U. Also more recently integrated iSpark (drum machine) on my iPad with it as well (so I can have drums if I ever go remote...Ableton is on a desktop for me currently)

If I'm not mistaken, that DFAM has its own enclosure? It takes up a HUGE chunk of real estate in your setup. There is a calculation that can be done to demonstrate the extra $ it costs to include that in your setup...maybe you're considering removing it when you fill up more HP on your setup?

Curious as to why you're looking for more sequencing power when you are using Ableton Live and KSP...are you using CV Tools in Ableton? what are you looking to do with adding a sequencer in rack (more just curious than anything since I'm newer to modular).

JB

hi, and thanks for the good replies!
Yes, the Black sequencer is an option I've eyed, I like to have something tactile and not too menu driven. And the knobs seem really good, something to grab easily!
Shipping from US (or outside EU) is generally so much slower, and brings customs payments as well, so I'll try to find stuff inside EU.
DFAM is easily detached from its own casing and mounted in eurorack, and since I have free space (at least now!) in my rack it's neatly in the same place as others. True, if the rack gets full I might put it back in its original case.

Additional sequencer is more about CV control, there are things that you can do with mangling CV that gets very organic results in eurorack. You can get close with max for Live's Midi lfo in Ableton and mapping them accordingly, but I also spend so much time with computer that it's nice to have something that you can put your finger on!

best,

JL

Additional sequencer is more about CV control, there are things that you can do with mangling CV that gets very organic results in eurorack. You can get close with max for Live's Midi lfo in Ableton and mapping them accordingly, but I also spend so much time with computer that it's nice to have something that you can put your finger on!

best,

JL
-- jussilampela

Cool...I got an ornament & crime to try and get some of that 'organic' sequenced mangling going on too
I hear you on the computer time and nice to have something to put your finger on :)

JB

DFAM is easily detached from its own casing and mounted in eurorack, and since I have free space (at least now!) in my rack it's neatly in the same place as others. True, if the rack gets full I might put it back in its original case.
-- jussilampela

You really should put it back where it belongs. For one thing, you've really kicked the price of the DFAM up by doing this. And given how expensive Eurorack cab space is...well, here's what's going on:

(prices are USD per Perfect Circuit's listings)
The A-100 P9 = $675 w/ 252 total hp
DFAM = $699 and takes up 60 hp. So...

675/252 = $2.68 per hp
2.68 x 60 = $160.80

So the ACTUAL cost of the DFAM, in this configuration, is $859.80...and probably MORE given the import duty on the Moog.

This is why, when you can Eurorack-mount some devices that have cabs and power already, you won't see a lot of us doing that. Eurorack cases are really for things that DON'T have those, simply because the cost-to-benefit ratio isn't really good when you put something like a DFAM in a Eurorack cab. Also, putting something like that in a Eurorack case that also takes up more than half a row really depletes your open space for other proper modules.