Hi

I'm a absolute newbie to euro rack, and I am looking to build a basis to learn but to also potential give a good scope for expansion in the future, I have picked out a few modules to begin with that seem ok but would appreciate any comments from experienced euro rack users or suggestions on where I could take it.

Thanks in advance for your help

this user has left ModularGrid

If you post a link to what you have we can help. What is your budget and goal? Get a large case to start with some utility and support modules. I also highly recommend download the free VCV Rack software and try building a basic modular system with this free software before buying anything.

Watch this video from Mylar it will really help you get started!

Thanks sacguy71 for your reply

Sorry I haven't listed the modules I did start a rack on here with the ones I was looking at but I'm new to modular grid as well below is what I've been looking at

Intellijel Rubicon2
Joranalogue filter8
Intellijel quadvca
Xaoc batumi
Make noise maths
Intellijel dual adsr
Hexinverter mutant brain
Disting EX

I was intending on getting a large rack as I've seen many comments elsewhere advising this, even if you are planning on starting with a few module.

I'm mainly experimenting at the moment but I was initially thinking about a analogue sound like moog to start with, and then see what direction it takes me.

I already use VCV as I do plan on getting a good understanding first before I invest in hardware I also have reaktor as I have NI komplete and have been learning sound design with their soft synths.

Thanks again for your reply I appreciate it

You are welcome. If you can afford a Doepfer monster base case that is what I would go with. It has 300HP + to have room for larger modules and support utilities. Plus it has a case cover and handles so it is portable. I like Doepfer cases/power and modules. Not expensive but quality and Doepfer pioneered the eurorack format. I am in fact looking at buying another Doepfer monster base case and Doepfer monster case for my future sampler build.

One other note about the Doepfer Monster Cases...the 4-row one is abysmally expensive, but the 3-row has a huge price drop between it and its larger sibling. And if the road case hardware isn't a concern, you could get a 3-row Monster LC and a 2-row Monster LC base for only $65 more than the fully-outfitted 4-row Monster. Plus, they put completely NUTS power supplies in these (4A on the +12 and -12 busses, 8A at +5V) that have more than ample current headroom. Not too shabby for a total of 840 hp to screw around in!

Good point Lugia and I love my Doepfer monster case. Even better than the MDLR case.
Would not hesitate to buy another one and since I buy a lot of modules, really don't want to run out of space.

Thanks Lugia and Sacguy71 I did check out Thomann regarding the doepfer case and I did notice the difference in price I did also find a large custom made wooden case with a tip top power supply for just over a 1000 but tbh I do like the look of the doepfer cases they just seem solid and well made

You are welcome glad to help. I have a large 14u MDLR case and love it but that thing weighs even more than the Doepfer monster case and not as portable since it is made of solid wood. I like how you can stack Doepfer monster cases and daisy chain them together for a massive wall of modular if you want to expand or take just the base Monster case with 300HP of modules to a jam or show. I put my mixers and sequencers in the base monster case and that makes it very easy to control my modular system.

Here's a list of the gear OP mentioned:
Intellijel Rubicon2
Joranalogue filter8
Intellijel quadvca
Xaoc batumi
Make noise maths
Intellijel dual adsr
Hexinverter mutant brain
Disting EX

I have all of those modules except the Hexinverter and Disting EX. They are very tasty indeed.

Some considerations when you get your NEXT round of funding:

1. Buy the Poti expander for the Batumi. It gives you front panel access to a lot more features and is worth it (3HP)
  2. Buy a second VCO (doesn't have to be a Rubicon) for stacking voices, adding subs, audio-rate effects, sync, etc.
  3. A noise module would go well. They are often paired with sample & hold circuits... which is also useful.
  4. A small DC-coupled mixer module. The Maths can mix... but a dedicated 3:1 or 4:1 mixer will free up the Maths for better functions.
  5. A simple sequencer that has at least a clock and reset input. 8 or 16 steps should be fine. Think of something under $200. Sequencers are for more than just playing notes. You might also like something like an Ornaments & Crime (micro) that can handle simple sequencing duties, or quantizing, etc.

I can think of a lot more modules to have fun with. But those would be high up on my list.

agree on getting the poti expander for Batumi it really adds lots of options for modulation. Batumi is fantastic one of my favorite LFOs.