This will be my first half of my Beep Boop skiffs.

Why did I choose a 104hp skiff?

Because it was cheaper than spending ungodly amounts of money on a case that could fit my basic needs.
So I went with the Moog 104hp Skiff. Very sleek and very wide, and it fits on my desk where I will be using it 90% of the time.

So, what do I plan to do with this contraption? I'm so glad you asked...

I want to shape and record tones and synth patches that I can use to make all the things youd find in dance music, or just any electronic music in general.

I'll be using the uMidi to receive MIDI notes that I write in Ableton live whether it be chords to arpeggiate, bass lines, even kick drums that I will be synthesizing.

If I'm going to be using an external sequencing process, then why do I have a clock?

I have Pam's NEW Workout because I also want to experiment with generative patches and Pam's has plenty of tools for that. plus with the next half of my build (skiff number two) I'll need clock/trigger/gate sources.
Recording things during generative experimentation is going to be important if I want to have a simple blip in my music because I can just record 30 mins of me playing around, save the audio, slice it up, sample it, what have you. So I chose some things that would compliment both basic synth patch making, and experimental sound design.

The first being the Disting mk4. Its super versatile in many things, making it a very important part of unlocking the functionality of my build.

Next we have the Kinks and Links by Mutable Instruments. I chose these two for mainly the shape and distribution if CV throughout my system. More importantly, because I want to have the option of shaping and modulating things in the second skiff.

After that, I have my first VCO. The Osiris by Modbap. The reason I chose this sound source because of all the sounds you can get out of it. Plus, it has a few tools of its own that make the sound shaping oh so fun. Many options and many possibilities.

Then we have the STO by Make Noise. Now I use to want the Even VCO because of the octave switching capabilities, and that was going to be for making the thump of a synthetic kick drum. However, I decided on the STO because I felt like I didnt need the basic waveforms Even VCO comes with, plus there's a few cool little tricks that come with the STO such as a sub gate, and timbre changes. Perfect for shaping a nice thick dance kick drum.

Next is the uBraids II by Calsynth. It is a clone of the Braids module by Mutable Instruments. I needed a digital touch to the build, and I like some of the presets of the original braids so i figured why not. Also, upon reading about their company, I found out that the developer of this module was a synth tech for people like, "Lou Reed, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rufus Wainwright, Sheryl Crow, The B-52s, The Go-Gos and dozens of others." Absolutely amazing. That sold me on it for sure.

After that we have the Polaris, the Quadra, and the Quad VCA by Intellijel. Polaris sounds like a great filter and it has many modulation options for how you want it to sound. Pairing that and the Quadra can help me make those moog like filter sweeps and plucky synths you'd hear in a Deadmau5 song. Goals.

Last but not least we have the Quad VCA, which will that all my audio sources and CV sources, give them a little boost of energy, and also create a complete mix of my signals to pass onto the FX Aid by Happy Nerding, which has so many effects that it boggles the mind. All of that going into my mixer and into my computer for recording. Yum.

So yeah. Thats my plan. Hope you guys enjoy and I hope this build comes to fruition someday.

if your 2nd 'skiff' is the same size you'd be better off with a Mantis - more space as no rack wart, better power and probably cheaper too!

as for this skiff - too many sound sources not enough modulation - for this many voices I would want a case twice the size - more modulation, more filters (one for each vco), more vcas and just more utilities in general

consider mutable veils to eke another 2hp out of it too, you'd also probably be better of with plaits over the micro clone of it's discontinued forebear

I would consider sharing skiff 2 as well - module recommendations are probably best based on the whole thing - mixing and midi->cv - rather than just half the intended rack

to get more variety out of a modular I think (at leasst loosely):

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

is a significantly better idea than anything else

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

why don't you get the es-8 instead of the mixer? That way you can multitrack your set up.