https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1762151.jpg
Link to an image of what I'm thinking about above. (how do you add images to a thread btw?).

I've been into non-eurorack analog synthesizers for a while now, and I got the Moog Mother 32 a year ago. I'm looking into building a Eurorack setup around the Mother-32, but I don't know what to do exactly. The case size is the size of a RackBrute from Arturia, and I'm thinking of attaching the Minibrute 2 to the bottom half of the RackBrute similar to this image: https://medias.arturia.net/images/products/minibrute-2/gallerie/sc09.jpg
I don't know exactly what to add or what I really need, but I tried to just have some basic stuff included. I've looked into Eurorack modules a little bit, but I will obviously continue to do research before buying anything else. Here are some of the main questions I have about adding to this setup, but feel free to add additional advice if you feel that it is necessary.
1. Should I add another Moog semi-modular synth? The Subharmonicon looks really cool.
2. Should I remove anything that I have currently put into the system?
3. Are there any essential types of utility modules that I'm missing here?
4. Is anything in the current system not compatible with the other things going on? Its hard to know what works well with other things.
5. The goal is to be able to create really unique and interesting sounds and to be able to use lots of different sources for modulation. What are the most flexible modules that I could add to this particular setup?
I know that what I've provided is kinda only a skeleton of a full modular system, but I didn't want to bloat it up with modules that I didn't understand yet.
Thank you for your time and feedback. :)

First thing to do is completely remove any thought of including the Mother-32 in your Rackbrute:) It is a huge waste of HP space in an already small Rackbrute 6U (which I have). There is actually a calculation that you can do to show you how much extra $ it costs you to put something in your rack that can be left out of it...like the Mother-32. With the location of the patch bay on the Mother-32 and the way the Rackbrute stand is designed, you can just locate the Mother-32 in front of your Rackbrute (I do this with the Hydrasynth desktop.

As far as what modules to include, Maths is a good choice...I can't tell what the other ones are in the picture. Consider Veils and FX Aid XL for sure...and other utilities like Links...maybe some additional modulation sources like Quadrax. Others on the forum will be far better at providing information about what modules to include

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

To add images to the link, you can create a rack with your planned setup on Modulargrid and post the link within a message.

For modulation, take a look at Acid Rain Technologies Maestro. This offers six channels of creative modulation where you can create custom LFOs and more. It is one of my favorite modulation tools next to Maths and Quadrax. Batumi is great quad LFO as well.

I'm looking into building a Eurorack setup around the Mother-32,
I don't know exactly what to add or what I really need,
I've looked into Eurorack modules a little bit, but I will obviously continue to do research

Well, that's a bit of a pickle because in order to make suggestions, one would need to know the problem or challenge to address, and you have not worded that at all. Do you feel limited by some aspects of the M32 and if so which ones ? Do you own any other gear ? Why do you want to go the Eurorack route instead of say, a couple of other semi-modular and desktop synths, are those cheaper devices incapable of doing something you like ? What sort of sounds do you hope to achieve ? "really unique and interesting sounds" is pretty much what everyone would say, nobody wants "boring and worn-out" sounds, but what does it mean for YOU ? Usually people like to include example tracks and even sometimes point to an instrument sound at a timestamp in a video.

1. Should I add another Moog semi-modular synth? The Subharmonicon looks really cool.
  2. Should I remove anything that I have currently put into the system?
  3. Are there any essential types of utility modules that I'm missing here?
  4. Is anything in the current system not compatible with the other things going on? Its hard to know what works well with other things.
  5. The goal is to be able to create really unique and interesting sounds and to be able to use lots of different sources for modulation. What are the most flexible modules that I could add to this particular setup?
    I know that what I've provided is kinda only a skeleton of a full modular system, but I didn't want to bloat it up with modules that I didn't understand yet.

I agree with jb that planning to put the M32 in the Rackbrute long term would be a waste of money. Same goes for another semi-modular, why not add one if you want, but again, not in the rack if it already has its own.
As I said, I can't really start approaching the other questions (what is missing, utilities - you will need them but which ones, modulation) without you explaining what I refer to at the start, but VCA's, LFO's and mixing are bound to come into play regardless of goals and style, I think.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

this user has left ModularGrid

agree keep the M32 out of the rack. I have a DFAM and it would waste a lot of valuable rack space. I use it stand alone fine.

Thanks for the input! I will definitely not use the Moog Mother 32 as part of a rack case, I'll use it separately on its own working with the case.
I should've been more clear on what I own.
I own the Prophet Rev2, Op-1, 2 pocket operators, the Moog Mother 32, and the novation mininova.
In terms of types of sounds I want to be able to create, I want to be able to have lots of sources of modulation so that I can create more expressive and flexible sounds. I want to be able to have a live setup that I can modulate on the fly during a performance, and for that to be an easy thing to do in the synth workflow.

Thanks for the input! I will definitely not use the Moog Mother 32 as part of a rack case, I'll use it separately on its own working with the case.
I should've been more clear on what I own.
I own the Prophet Rev2, Op-1, 2 pocket operators, the Moog Mother 32, and the novation mininova.
In terms of types of sounds I want to be able to create, I want to be able to have lots of sources of modulation so that I can create more expressive and flexible sounds. I want to be able to have a live setup that I can modulate on the fly during a performance, and for that to be an easy thing to do in the synth workflow.
-- GavinAnalogSynthsGuy

Expressive, flexible, and easy to use live and on the fly... that's going to be pretty difficult to get from modular. I think you might find that a lot of live playing tries to reduce the complexities where possible. The Plaits and Braids modules, for example, are very popular for live play, because they tend not to need as complex of a set-up having built in quantizing, envelopes, prefabricated sounds, etc.

As Toodee said, there are a lot of utilities that are going to end up in your case to make things work properly. After you're done patching everything up a few times, hunting down problems during a live performance (oops, accidentally knocked that module out of its settings), you'll want to revisit what makes a good live rig versus studio.

$0.02 delivered.

FYI, here's the math for calculating cost-per-hp:

Assume that each hp in a Eurorack case is 1/whatever-eth of the entire space amount. So that's, in the case of a Mantis (I know this one off the top of my head), you have a total of 208 hp in a cab that costs $335. So...335/208 = $1.61(ish) per hp.

Next, calculate the amount of hp in a device, then multiply that by the per hp cost. That gives, for a Moog semi, 60 x $1.61 = $96.60 extra.

Then you add that to the cost of the Moog, so $699 + $96.60 = $795.60 for the cost of an M32 PLUS the cost of housing it in a Eurorack case. So, unless you MUST have the M32 in the cab for some logistic reason, it's really not cost-effective, plus you're using 60 hp that modules that DON'T have power or housings now can't use, while the M32 has a case and power already.