ModularGrid Rack

I'm pretty much just going for something compact yet packs a ton of eardrum damage. This will be my first rack by the way. Anything I need or anything that's totally unnecessary?

It seems that you put together a collection of popular modules. But how are they to function as a unit? I would consider this a small rack/case... and it's full of big modules.

Chance, Branches, and NanoRand seem to have lots of overlap in functionality. You have a large sequencer (Eloquencer) plus a small analog-style sequencer in the Verbos module. The Verbos module is redundant. I'd look into a micro Ornament & Crime. It has a sequencer mode that replicates a lot of the Verbos functionality in 8HP. Plus there's the benefit of other functionality like a quantizer.

A precision adder and a unity mixer are a bit redundant as well. I'd pick one. But instead of a unity mixer, I'd invest the HP into a small mixer with attenuators built into the inputs.

Why do you want a pulse counter? Again it's a small build (not recommended) so every HP is important. I'd recommend more space.

Have you considered an output module? VCAs? Dedicated envelope generators? Effects? Additional utilities in addition to the dual attenuverter? I think with this build you might be disappointed if you ordered everything as-is.

Small builds are Rolex watches of modular. You really should be experienced before taking on small builds.

Agreeing with Ronin.

Start small, and slow so you can learn what parts do, and what you'll need. I think the big sequencers are a waste if you're at home playing with a keyboard or a computer. That Eloquencer is a monster, and you can use a laptop and the ES-8 to do everything already.
You could start with Plaits as a big complex voice, and ONE module to drive it, Maths, Pams and ES-8 all can do a huge amount of control, and deserve your attention and practice, only after a few weeks you'll decide if you want a sequencer or the envelope generator Quadrax to be in your little rack.

If you're after 'a ton of eardrum damage' you should look at distortions or harsher modules from Schlappi Engineering or Moffenzeef. I don't see any crunchy distortions in your proposed rack.

Start with the ES8 and think about what is gonna go into each one of the 4 inputs you have then work backwards from there. Think about how many headers you have in your case and make sure you don't go over 80% of your total power and then try to cram in as much as you can if you are one planning on just having 168hp. Most people on here will advise you to get a larger case, the consensus seems to be around 208hp. You can do a lot with 208hp!

You could easily build two really good voices with effects in a 168hp though. If you get the ml2 you can use Ableton Link and do drums in Ableton and this will play in time with your modular. You have 8 outs in your ES8 and you can send a lot of modulation like lfo's and envelopes out from Ableton and plug them into your modules to modulate the crap out of your cv inputs. You'll love that.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/circuit-happy-ml-2

It'll definitely cause eardrum damage...because you've not got any VCAs for the audio path, so everything will be direct and at one dynamic level. And Ronin is quite right...this just looks like a dumpster for "sexy" modules that NEED support modules to do what they can/should do.

Before you spend money that'll you'll regret, try the following:

1) Bigger cab. That increases the space needed for support modules. And note: Tiptop Mantis = $335, with 208 hp, already powered and expandable with a second Mantis when the time comes. So, smaller doesn't always mean cheaper.

2) Keep in mind that NOBODY gets their first (second, third, fifteenth, etc) build right.

3) Related to #2 above: this takes time. Quite a bit, if you want to really nail a build. And we're talking months...perhaps even over a year...to finally hone things down so that you have an instrument that is very capable.

4) VCV. Get it. Explore. This FREE Eurorack emulator (with several hundred modules!) will give you some major lessons on how signal paths, utilities, etc are critical to a good build. And they just released v.2, with a LOT of upgrades. https://vcvrack.com/

5) Find some of the better/bigger electronic music names on here, and study their racks. You'll be dealing with synthesists with decades of experience. I, f'rinstance, have 40+ years in on this. And there's lots of others in that zone. And...

6) DON'T replicate small YouTube builds. Ever. Many of those designs are pretty limited, sketchy, or both...because a lot of them have some manufacturer "swag" involved or, in a few specific cases, they're in some sort of relationship with synth retailers. Also, when you run across a YT clip where the presenter's studio looks like some Hollywood set, neat, all that...just remember: a clean desk is a sign of an unproductive worker.

And of course, you took the right step of posting here for advice. The main ones of us on the MG Forums probably have, all combined, about a CENTURY of experience, if not more. Mind you, we'll probably rip these builds up, but in the process you'll learn what works, what doesn't, and why...and after a while, you'll wind up with a serious rig.