Hi folks, I am near completion of my modular system and am a bit stuck on what to fill the last 8hp with that would benefit the system rather than clutter it, ideally a single 8hp, though I'm open to alternatives.

ModularGrid Rack

The system is built to have two voices, one for melodies another for bass and QOP providing drums. Musical styles would cover electronica, techno, down tempo/chill and a dabble in ambient.
I would love to hear your suggestions on what to add to compliment the system. Another oscillator is a possibility, though two voices should suffice. I guess, I'm looking for something to add variation, or modulation or something extra to keep the system fun and playable with an element of unpredictability. As I'm quite new to modular, some advanced ideas could be what's needed, I am open to your suggestions.
Thanks for stopping by and your opinions are appreciated.

🙌🏼

Note : I am willing to take out the Pique and use the second ADSR of the B140 to expand that space to 12HP if necessary. But everything else stays. 😌

maybe you could benefit for a FX Aid

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

ornament and crime might give you some good bang for the buck with that remaining 8HP
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-uo-c-black-gold-panel

JB

How are you mixing all of this? How will you be modulating all of this? How will you be utilizing all those Midi inputs?

Noise, mixers (as xnax mentioned above), quantizer, attenuverters???

Both filters in your set-up are low-pass only. So you're pretty limited there.

Also, is this a dream build or do you already have all of these modules? Clouds isn't in production anymore. You can buy a new clone of Clouds or hope for someone willing to sell the original (not cheap).

maybe you could benefit for a FX Aid
-- Broken-Form

That is a good suggestion, though Clouds and Milky Way including the filter on the QOP offer enough FX for my liking. Thanks

ornament and crime might give you some good bang for the buck with that remaining 8HP
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-uo-c-black-gold-panel
-- jb61264

This is a solid suggestion a ‘Swiss army knife’ solution for the space and functionality. Something I would certainly consider. 👍🏼

How are you mixing all of this? How will you be modulating all of this? How will you be utilizing all those Midi inputs?
-- xnax

Thanks for your reply. So I currently have it setup for the Tangle Quartet to mix the two voices. The mix output goes into the Aux in of the QOP so it’s filter is a master filter. The output of the QOP goes into the Intellijel Outs as a master output/headphone output.

Modulation can be covered by the B140’s LFO. And extra modulation from Pams. The mult comes in handy here too.

I should have clarified the Midi. I wanted to be able to sequence this system two ways. 1, by using the Mutant Brain mapped to use my Digitakt or Keystep Pro as a sequencer for the drums, the 2 channels of the Bloom to sequence the two oscillators.

The other setup, is to use Pams to get interesting patterns with QOP and keep using Bloom for the oscillators.

I hope that gives a bit more clarity. 👍🏼

Noise, mixers (as xnax mentioned above), quantizer, attenuverters???

Both filters in your set-up are low-pass only. So you're pretty limited there.

Also, is this a dream build or do you already have all of these modules? Clouds isn't in production anymore. You can buy a new clone of Clouds or hope for someone willing to sell the original (not cheap).
-- Ronin1973

1. Yes I’m missing noise, do I really need it? Mixers, the two voices used with Tangle Quartet, master to QOP Aux in. Master out to Outs. Bloom covers scales for Quantizer duties, though perhaps you’re right that a dedicated Quantizer could come in handy.

2. I was originally going to get the Wasp filter as it does HP and I think even BP if I’m not mistaken. The filter on the QOP can do both LP and HP, which is great! I do have a limitation with the depth of my case (ALM 6U 84HP). The Mum M8 is a thin module so it can fit. Though it’s a good point of maybe having that dedicated filter for the NE oscillator to do HP or BP. More searching for filters for me there.

3. I have most of the modules except for the Mum M8, and the NE oscillator. Fortunately I got hold of an original Clouds a year or two ago from Reverb.com.

Thanks for your reply!

Definitely clears things up. I always forget about the LFOs from Pams and I'm not familiar with the Behringer modules. I would probably second the 0_C as a multi function module to fill that space and fill any role you need in a pinch, or maybe a triple sloths to add subtle movement to your patches. You can get two sloths with the o_C using the Lo Rentz app though, so that might be the better fit still.

Smart, yep...I even think that the O&c is better than the Disting in several aspects. The better UI is just one example; one gives you a one-digit display, the other has an actual OLED screen with proper menuing. I know what I would want to work with!

Thanks for your comments and insights guys! You have helped me come up with a solution with some slight tweaks and here’s what I’ve changed/added...

Sorry, it’s not showing the updated version of the modular, I’ll try again later. Go on to my profile to see the completed system.

Changing the filter to a multi mode filter as mentioned, and adding the O&C for tons of additional uses, and with 3HP I thought I’ll try out a switch!

I’m happy with these choices and thanks again for your input! I would say that this setup will endure plenty of noodling and jamming fun before I even think about switching out modules. I’m sticking to this size case as preference and believe this combined with Ableton and Maschine should do me wonders!

Side note...I don’t know about you guys but I’ve always had issues with midi clock when using Ableton with hardware synths and drum machines. One thing I can say for sure which I was totally taken aback from is that using Pams as the master (ext) clock is solid AF! After all these years trying to get all that midi synced, offsetting nightmares in Ableton’s MIDI settings, or even using track delays to get audio or MIDI to line up, again, PAMS is seriously solid! I have the modular on a stereo channel, Digitakt using overbridge, and Maschine all running rock solid now...finally. I hope that may help you guys in return and those out there who have these nightmares too.

Thanks again for you help peeps, much appreciated 🖖🏼🙏🏼

Side note...I don’t know about you guys but I’ve always had issues with midi clock when using Ableton with hardware synths and drum machines. One thing I can say for sure which I was totally taken aback from is that using Pams as the master (ext) clock is solid AF! After all these years trying to get all that midi synced, offsetting nightmares in Ableton’s MIDI settings, or even using track delays to get audio or MIDI to line up, again, PAMS is seriously solid! I have the modular on a stereo channel, Digitakt using overbridge, and Maschine all running rock solid now...finally. I hope that may help you guys in return and those out there who have these nightmares too.

Thanks again for you help peeps, much appreciated 🖖🏼🙏🏼
-- HybridWaveform

All computer operating systems prioritize audio over virtually everything else including midi - want a solid clock from a computer - use an audio click track

This is because most users will notice and complain if replaying audio is jittery - in reality very few computer users actually use midi

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

All computer operating systems prioritize audio over virtually everything else including midi - want a solid clock from a computer - use an audio click track

This is because most users will notice and complain if replaying audio is jittery - in reality very few computer users actually use midi

-- JimHowell1970

What is an audio click track? Would this be for example in Ableton using CV Clock Out (CV tools in Ableton) as the clock source?

JB

I'm actually going to suggest TWO modules, both 4 hp in width.

The first one is the Ladik S-186, and the other is Tesseract's VC Logics. The first one is useful to shift gate/trigs rhythmically and then move them off of the beat. And then with the second one, you can take both processed and UNprocessed clock signals and run them through a Boolean gate, which then outputs gates based on the given logic states at each Boolean. The VC Logics also allows you to switch Boolean logic per gate by CV, which can be fun as it has the ability to really alter the build's behavior.

-- JimHowell1970

What is an audio click track? Would this be for example in Ableton using CV Clock Out (CV tools in Ableton) as the clock source?

-- jb61264

a sample of a kick drum, for example on every 16th note on an audio track - this is what I use from Logic - works perfectly no jitter

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'd suggest some utilities like a Befaco A*B+C. Adds a flexible Attenuverter, Offset generator, Ringmodulator or even two times linear VCA to your system :) I use mine in every patch I make.