Hi Amazing humans.
What we're working with... Neutron, Werkstatt, NTS-1, Keystep, SQ1 and... PLINKY!
Plinky got me looking into modular over the summer. It may or may not be racked... need to build the CV expander.
I'm only showing 88HP... but the case I'm looking to build in January will likely be 6U at 88HP or 114HP. 1U is still an option.. but the Xodes things are an option as well. Why not Mantis... price and it's winter... why not have a project?
This is the starter kit. Something to get me patching more and curious...
Workflow is left to right as my brain demands it.
Nothing super flashy but I think there is some room to play and make "happy mistakes".

Or... is there? Am I missing anything or have something I just don't need? I know O_C and Temps can wait awhile if needed.
I'm big on open source... small and local makers if possible (I'm in Europe).

Goal is to make noise and smile once in awhile :)
What do you think?

whilst the mantis is a brilliant case and really quite reasonably priced, especially compared to other cases that were around when (and since) it was launched, building a case is a great idea and can save a little money - if you can use a saw, a drill and a screw driver then they are, at their most basic, incredibly easy to build - I should know I've built 4, so far! my average build time is a couple of hours, so I wouldn't really call it a project, as such, but then I don't really bother sanding, staining or varnishing etc

88 & 114 hp are weird sizes - ie not standard rails sizes are you going to use wood rails? - I've tried this and personally I wouldn't advise it - when using aluminium rails (and preferably threaded inserts - seriously much better than sliding nuts) it's much easier to stick to standard sizes!!

what power supplies are you considering - I like the befaco excalibus, myself - it's an easy but tedious DIY build and provides a decent amount of very clean power (clean enough for video which needs to be cleaner through much higher frequencies than audio - otherwise it is visible in the output)

as for 1u - as you are building your case yourself, you will come to appreciate that the cost of housing 1u modules in a row is identical to that of a 3u row - and there's really nothing compelling in 1u that can't be achieved with a 3u module, in a much smaller hp footprint, the only thing that 1u really does is save you 3.5" (8.9cm) from the height of the case

as you have more space - I would suggest getting rid of the micro versions of modules - their ergonomics sucks!

as you seem to be into open source, I would also suggest either to build yourself or to support the person who made them open source in the first place and not cloners, where possible (hint buy plaits, not knit)

Emilie is a truly fantastic person and deserves your money, way more than anyone who shrinks one of her modules to child size and I can assure you any product support that you do need will be excellent

almost all eurorack manufacturers are very small - other than the obvious evil that is the b-company I don't think many are more than 10 people:

Doepfer, outside Munich, is 4 - & Dieter "invented" the format
Mutable Instruments, Paris, is 1

for example (nb both of these outsource their production - Doepfer to China, iirc, and Mutable to a company in France

what are you currently using for mixing your existing instruments? you may not need the output module - if you desperately need headphones then I'd suggest something like the ALM HPO - which is made, kind of locally to the EU, in the UK

I'd probably also go for a fx aid xl instead of the milky way - Igor adds more and more algorithms to it - so it's significantly more versatile than the milky way - whilst being built on the same platform

I'd probably replace the pico filters, for the mostly same reason as the knit - poor ergonomics, better suited to children than adults - with Doepfer modules that are bigger and have more space - I have a pico seq - which is kind of annoying for this reason and also the lack of a reset jack (resetting is horrible and really requires space around the module to achieve) - I have other full size erica modules, both DIY and bought, and they are excellent

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'm going to guess...is this built into a "hacked" IKEA cab? The length dimensions seem to suggest that. My suggestion, if you're fitting this with 114 hp x 6U, would be to NOT add the tile row in deference to having 6U of normal Eurorack modules. That way, you'll get the tile functions as well as more capability.

+1 on Jim's take on the picos, too. The big problem with them is that their control space is so tight that it's easy to nudge a control on an adjacent module. It's not just a "small knob problem", but the layout of those modules as well. Circuit-wise, they're all that, though. Frankly, if you wind up with a 228 hp cab, you'll have ample space to do a proper build AND avoid using 2 or 3 hp modules UNLESS you've got a hole that needs filling...and even then, you still might be better off by shuffling things around and clearing space for something 4 hp and up.

Big thanks for the insights and advice!
One correction right off the bat… and I do apologize. 84hp or 114hp.
The 114 was from here… which is an option still to be honest =https://www.ginkosynthese.com/product/758573/wooden-diy-case-114hp
100% = the Mantis is brilliant.

Regarding power… a MeanWell kit from ModularSynthLab… was at the top… but, looking at the Excalibus… may rethink. Even if I have to add a second for whatever reason.
I’m sold on the 1U row vs eating 3U HP. I may build for it now and add rails later for example when needed.
Rails are most likely coming from MDLR Case… I like their 3D printed bits… if they are still in stock.

I appreciate the insight on the modular manufacturing world. I knew they were all small… but didn’t fully realize it.
I see similar mentions in other posts. I do plan to build a few modules as I go and 100% put my money where it’s due… unless it’s second hand.

I’m using a pretty cheap 6 channel mixer right now… but I move things around and wanted a way to play this thing on my terrace for example. The HPO does look like an acceptable alternative.

The FX aid was one of the first things I added… I had no idea they are the same platform… didn’t research enough on this one. Price was another factor.. but…

Ergonomics was a topic I was just reading about… and I agree. It may have been one of you that wrote it.
Going to relook at the Picos and Knit… part of the fun.

Again, big thanks to both of you 😊

I own a Temps Utile. If I had to do it over again, I'd get Pam's New Workout instead.

big thanks to both of you 😊

-- Dub007

for case parts and module kits (including the excalibus) - exploding-shed.com is really worth checking

if you do get a excalibus then you'll need a rug wart - basically a laptop power supply - you should be able to find one that will work perfectly online for 20€ or so

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

My case suggestion would be Case From Lake. See here: https://reverb.com/shop/casefromlake

They do some pretty solid cabs, and you'll notice that they can make extensive bespoke modifications...adding tile rows, different panel space, choices between beefy Meanwells and Doepfer's current A-100 supply. Bus boards included, too. Not as cheap as DIY, true, but they do make things far simpler.

88 & 114 hp are weird sizes - ie not standard rails sizes are you going to use wood rails? - I've tried this and personally I wouldn't advise it - when using aluminium rails (and preferably threaded inserts - seriously much better than sliding nuts) it's much easier to stick to standard sizes!!

For small systems I don't understand the need for fixed threaded inserts over sliding nuts. With the sliding nuts you get a free (well, probably over 1500$) shaker,too!
On a serious note the casefromlake boxes look amazing and functional! I wonder if I should have gone down that route as my system currently would need a case for travel.

On a serious note the casefromlake boxes look amazing and functional! I wonder if I should have gone down that route as my system currently would need a case for travel.
-- zuggamasta

Well, you could set one up to fit modules in for live gigs. There's a number of people here who do that. And again, I love the build quality; these things look like they could turn a bullet!

My case suggestion would be Case From Lake. See here: https://reverb.com/shop/casefromlake

They do some pretty solid cabs, and you'll notice that they can make extensive bespoke modifications...adding tile rows, different panel space, choices between beefy Meanwells and Doepfer's current A-100 supply. Bus boards included, too. Not as cheap as DIY, true, but they do make things far simpler.
-- Lugia

I have them booked marked; amazing work. In a past life I may have made furniture and appreciate the details and the overall attention to detail and usability.

big thanks to both of you 😊

-- Dub007

for case parts and module kits (including the excalibus) - exploding-shed.com is really worth checking

if you do get a excalibus then you'll need a rug wart - basically a laptop power supply - you should be able to find one that will work perfectly online for 20€ or so

-- JimHowell1970

I can walk to their shop... So.. This is now a given. Thank you. Got the rug wart... Doesn't everyone have that box or bin? And depending on final power draw... The USB adapter and bank.
Exploding shed is bookmarked as well and I bounce between while "researching". Good stuff

I own a Temps Utile. If I had to do it over again, I'd get Pam's New Workout instead.
-- Ronin1973

Anyone know about the godfried?
It looks like what I want for everything... Like temps but with a start, stop and reset... I was going to email...
With o_c could be interesting.