Hi, beginner, yeah again.

10 years I' waiting for hardware modular synth. Don't want to pactice VCV rack really.
My influences was Moog modular,
Buchla modular.

If I could my ho to is an Arp 2600.

Different worlds but : Oberheim, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, Yamaha Cs 80, Korg Monopoly. Yamaha Dx 7.
Are amazing pieces as music instruments.

Owner of a Moog Mother 32.
An eurorack case Arturia Rack 3u.
And a Dreadbox hysteria VCO.

Here I started setup on modulargrid.

Want to do more than a mother 32.(flexible, versatile)

Want an eurorack which can also works without the Mother 32.

What missing in my modulargrid setup ?
Could this setup could be considered as a standalone semimodular ?

Need to record sound into my USB soundcard. After sampling resequencing, etc...)

Thought to use a midi keyboard which jave a sequencer in it. Or add a sequencer's module, later. Using Ableton live temporarly.

Thanks

Others will be able to give you better advice than I can but here's what I know will most likely be pointed out. First and foremost, the 3U is extremely small to be wanting it to be a 'stand-alone' modular. I have a Rackbrute 3U but my 'goal' with it is to use as a compliment to my Minibrute2 synth...not as a stand-alone. Because of that, I'm including lots of modulation and effects modules.

I would get rid of the 2500, it takes up a lot of HP space, which you don't have...there are probably better smaller options than this and you already have the Hysteria VCO in there. Consider adding Pamela's New Workout for a clock source and maybe FX Aid XL instead.

I'm assuming you have this set as 88HP as listed on Arturia's website...in fact, you can get 89HP which I have set both my Rackbrute 6U and 3U to.

A very clever module that @Lugia recommended for me in my 3U case is the Bastl Hendrikson which will allow me to incorporate external stompboxes for effects, etc as well. They are discontinued, but you may still be able to find out somewhere. The Hendrikson combined with this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriParMix--electro-harmonix-tri-parallel-mixer you'll be able to add up to three other external devices into your setup :) Other options to Hendrikson are Strymon AA.1 and Malekko SND/RTN

Maybe also consider adding ornament and crime as a swiss army knife utility module as well if you have the space.

JB

Thanks a lot. Like your rack.

I red a lot (not enough) but not enough for the modules i put in the rig.

I'm looking for another vco than Behringer. :) removed from my cart.

I'm open to evolve with another eurorack case. (Future)

Don't want to get too much digitals modules (still interesting though) . (Even if it seems digital's ones seels 'swiss army knife' s)

Save money and be patient. (not easy)

I own cheap multifx's hardware. And free FX's vst's in my DAW. (so this is not my first aim)

Many thanks.
I appreciate your answer.

read a lot (30+) newbie threads - take the advice that always stands out

read the stickies at the top of the modwiggler eurorack forum

try to work out what you want the modular for

get a bigger case

read my signature

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

get a bigger case

read my signature
-- JimHowell1970

Yeah !
That's why I put utility modules. (logic, buff mult etc...)
I will still read.

I still believe I can do something good with this little case. :)

Thanks.

I tried to document a lot of my first 98hp 3u build here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9200

It has been a joy to build and use. Furthermore it has the approval from some of the strictest pros on this forum 😀

get a bigger case

read my signature
-- JimHowell1970

Yeah !
That's why I put utility modules. (logic, buff mult etc...)
I will still read.

I still believe I can do something good with this little case. :)

Thanks.

-- 202kwam

I spent a lot of time over about 18 months reading and watching videos before spending a penny on eurorack gear 5 years or so ago - some people seem to think they have done a lot of reading in 30 mins over a weekend - I guess it's really down to attention span - mine is much worse now than it was then

ok let's start with buffered mult - as the case is so small i would not try to cram 2 'voices' in there - so a buffered mult is superfluous, as they are only really needed for v/oct (ie pitch) signals - a bit of voltage droop on audio or any cv that is not v/oct will be unnoticeable - and passive mults in a case this size just take up valuable hp - get stackcables or other forms of passive external splitting - like headphone splitter

belief is sometimes good - but often flawed

I believe you may be able to get something good out of a case this size, but I don't necessarily think you will be able to get lots of somethings good out of it - do yourself a massive favour and get something at least twice the size to start off with there is no need whatsoever to fill it this week/month/year- much better to start bigger with space to expand as you learn what the fuck you are doing rather than having to buy a second case in 3-6 months (which is way more expensive than buying a sensibly sized one to start with) and then once you know exactly what you are doing go smaller if you still feel the need to only use a beauty case for whatever reason - mostly it seems to be "because it fits in my handbag" - almost all those youtube influencers are pulling modules out of much bigger cases to highlight specific patches that they have worked out over years of practice - starting with a too small case adds artificial contraint and forces you into a specific workflow, which is highly unlikely to be your workflow

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hmmmm...in truth, 3U x 84 hp isn't a good way to start. It'll force you into one of two situations...

1) You wind up using very slim modules, 6 hp and down. This has an inherent flaw in that if you don't have fingers about the diameter of spaghetti, it'll be a total bitch to use.

2) You put normal sized modules in, and then run out of room before one or two critical modules can be installed.

I don't endorse either possibility. Instead...and you hear this a lot here...get a Tiptop Mantis. US street on it is $335, and you can add a second Mantis later on with their expansion bracket set. Power supply is also quite hefty in those, and unless you stick several tube-based modules into the build, you're not likely to exceed the current capacity, even on startup inrushes. They're lightweight, and Tiptop even makes an optional gig bag for them.

And speaking of Tiptop, they're working with Buchla on a line of 200-series Eurorack modules. The 281t and 258t are supposed to be out around the end of the year, with the 245t, 257t, 266t, and 292t dropping during 2022. And with THESE, the Buchla "price tag" is gone; the 281t is $210 and the 258t is $200. Given that there's other Buchla or Serge-based Eurorack modules around, you could easily build a pure "West Coast" rig in a single Mantis. But don't try it in the cab you've got above...you won't have room.