hello,
i'm looking to get some feedback on the soon-to-be-released(?) tiptop buchla modules. i'm ready to make a significant investment on these modules, i.e. doepfer LCB100 case, and i'm wondering if they will be released on time - winter 2021 is already upon us, and if you believe the entire group of 6 modules will be released by 2022 at the prices indicated by TipTop? (i can't see some of these modules going for $200 u.s. or less!) i would also like to have some better audio/video/youtube samples to base my decision on. any thoughts would be appreciated before i invest in that doepfer case ($659 cdn these days!) thanks.

this user has left ModularGrid

Hard to find details but these look promising as my dream of next case would be a mix of these affordable Buchla modules with Serge Random source ones.

See Tiptop's Superbooth video here: It's a quick overview of the upcoming six modules with some very convincing Buchla sounds in effect.

According to someone I checked with at Tiptop, these won't be the only ones. Their mission is to bring as many of the 200 series (the original, not the updated 200e modules) into production as possible and/or practical. But they also noted that neither they nor Buchla USA has all of Don's schematics, and sometimes he'd whip stuff together off the top of his head back in the Berkeley days. So some of these first version 200 modules are actually lost, unless they can reverse-engineer them from the devices themselves. Also, it's worth noting that NONE of these will have banana jacks, so the best substitute there would be stackcables, plus it's probably worthwhile to add a buffered mult or two for the 258ts.

The ones I'm jonesin' for are these: the 291 dual BPF, the 285 frequency shifter, the 227 delay, the 248 MARF, the 227 system interface (it's huge...but as synth mixers go, it's effin' amazing), the 281 Quad FG, the 206 submixer, and the 275 EQ/reverb. If we can get all or most of those...then Tiptop and Buchla have done their job right.

EDIT: And yeah, sacguy...that's one point I think people are missing here. The current situation has NUMEROUS West Coast modules, and these Tiptop ones, tossed together with some Random*Source and/or Elby Serge clones, some of Make Noise's modules, Mark Verbos' Buchla clone/upgrades, etc etc...these give us ALL of the artillery to create a rip-yer-brain-out-level West Coast system. Also, you couldn't really put these into the same cab...the Serge stuff was/is on multimodule panels, for example. Personally, this exact situation is one I've hoped for for many years!

@Lugia, agree well gives me reason to buy another Doepfer monster case setup eventually for the Buchla tiptop and Serge modules if all works out and they do a great job.

thanks for the feedback. i think i've seen every tiptop/buchla video out there. i'm making do with the arturia buchla easel software and some euro modules, doepfer LPG x 2, A-149-1/2, rampage, uFold, lifeforms micro sequence, and springray right now to get my fix of buchla. unfortunately, i don't have infinite resources so i'm talking about doing this on a budget, therefore tiptop! i debated buying a buchla easel command but ultimately couldn't justify the price for someone in my pay grade (poor). i estimate a case with all 6 tiptop modules will come in around $3000 cdn and i can acquire them gradually (calculating an average price of $350/module, i still don't believe the $200 U.S. price tags, quad function generator $170-210!? - maths and rampage are dual generators, granted with more functionality going for something like $500/$600). i'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised though and hope to see the first 2 modules released for x-mas 2021. here's hoping ...

(calculating an average price of $350/module, i still don't believe the $200 U.S. price tags, quad function generator $170-210!? - maths and rampage are dual generators, granted with more functionality going for something like $500/$600).
-- FatBerg

Maths will cost you $290 new, Rampage $330. TipTop's prices tend to be lower, and while things can happen with the current shortages and supply-chain issues, I wouldn't doubt their sincerity in trying to achieve that goal.

And I think that their goal here might partly be to cut the HELL out of Uli's market share by reissuing Eurorack versions of some of the most coveted (and now, cheap to make) modules in electronic music history. I'll also note that Tiptop mentioned that they also want to reissue certain 100 series modules, but they're working out a source for the proper-looking knobs for those as well as trying to locate those schematics if needed. And hybrid 100/200 systems are just...wow.

"Maths will cost you $290 new, Rampage $330. TipTop's prices tend to be lower, and while things can happen with the current shortages and supply-chain issues, I wouldn't doubt their sincerity in trying to achieve that goal."

i'm talking canadian funds, the rampage is $436 plus taxes (incredibly high in quebec, comes to $501 cdn total!) at the local store and maths has dropped to $376 plus taxes. and the U.S. to Cdn funds conversion is awful for us, $200 U.S. today is $256 cdn! but i hope you're right, i just can't see how they can manage it at their prices. i'd have to think that would be the deal of the decade if the quality is there.

Hi folks, any updates on ETA for Tiptop / Buchla modules to be available? I've done some internet search but haven't found any new info.

I'm expecting some holiday sales at my favorite US vendors. BUT if the Tiptop / Buchla stuff will be available soonish, I may wait and save $s to go to the Tiptop Eurorack Buchlas!

Thought I'd check around and ask if ya'll are hearing more than I have on this front. Thanks!

Well, the rep I was communicating with said we'll see the first two "around the first of the year". My guess is that they're aiming for a pre-NAMM launch of those so that they can say "we've got these now...and here's what's coming".

thanks for the info, i.e., 'around the first of the year'. that sounds promising - i hope it's accurate and not just stringing us along!? i suppose i can be patient until mid-january. i also contacted tiptop and i'm still waiting for a reply.

Buchlas "around the first of the year" ... Thanks for the update!

received an email today from mr milstein himself, saying an updated newsletter coming very soon with the first 2 modules to be released in january (no date).

first 2 modules to be released in january (no date).
-- FatBerg

YUSSS!!!!

And hopefully it comes soon after that to Europe too

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Should. The nice thing about this being Tiptop doing the reissues is that their lines are carried all over the planet. Not quite up to the level of Doepfer (ie: just dig up your backyard and you stand a chance of finding a Doepfer module!), but they're definitely on a roll.

Really looking forward to the Tip Top Buchla modules! I cannabilized modules from monster case to use for portable setups so could use a few Buchla modules later on. Wish Random Source would make their Serge modules for Eurorack affordable as well.

"Really looking forward to the Tip Top Buchla modules!"
i'm with you on that! the buchla easel command was always just out of reach for me and now i may get something better on the easy payment plan. c'mon tiptop, make it a jolly x-mas on this covid ravaged planet!

latest tiptop newsletter Dec 24th, 2021;

"A quick holiday update on the Buchla production process

for the 258 & 281 Super Exciting Newsletter Headline

The robots have finished placing the parts on the 258 and 281 circuit boards. Now it is time for humans to start to test, calibrate and hand select the remaining critical parts. The front panels are now in the machine and in the next few days should be ready to get their graphics on.

Release date looks like mid January at this point. Once we are ready we will send another newsletter to let you know and also inform the shops they can open up for pre orders.

Have a happy and safe holiday!

Buchla and Tiptop Audio Team"

Not sure what the purpose of your post is.
If you are interested wait for them and buy them when available and if you have the money.
And be prepared to invest about 3 or 4 K for the beginning for a case like shown in those videos.

Not sure what the purpose of your post is.
If you are interested wait for them and buy them when available and if you have the money.
And be prepared to invest about 3 or 4 K for the beginning for a case like shown in those videos.
-- znort101

The purpose of his post was to inform everyone of the email that TipTop sent out about the status of their new modules if it isn't that apparent? Also, why would I have to prepare to invest 3 or 4K for a new case? I'm going to get the Buchla 257t and incorporate it into my Rackbrute 3U build that is attached to my Minibrute2. What is the purpose of your post?

JB

In that case they showed on the preview videos are about 20 Modules and i am not sure if thats all they plan to do. So thats the first 4 K (with an average module price of 200 which is a low estimate).

In that case they showed on the preview videos are about 20 Modules and i am not sure if thats all they plan to do. So thats the first 4 K (with an average module price of 200 which is a low estimate).
-- znort101

Uhhhhh...no. There are ONLY SIX modules in the initial Tiptop run. And there's only nine modules in that Mantis above.

And a price point of $200-400 makes perfect sense here, tbh. For one thing, Tiptop's been around for a long time, so they have the know-how to keep that price down. Secondly, these don't have the "e bus" that allows for remembering the control (but NOT the patch itself) positions, which is a big part of why those 200e 4U modules cost like they do. So what these are are Don's "post-CBS" designs from the early/mid-1970s, meaning that they can use cheaper and readily available components, they can use board fab automation instead of hand-stuffing boards, high-speed panel manufacturing and graphics, and so on to replicate these older Buchla modules.

ya, that is the beauty of these tiptop buchla modules, standard 3u and will fit in any euro case and i can buy them as my finances permit as opposed to dropping $4000 cdn on a buchla easel command in one shot. i think i calculated around 130hp for 1 of each of the 6 modules so the 6u/84hp case i was thinking of buying might even be a little small with little room for expansion for further 200t modules.

speaking of which, have cases become insanely expensive!? i'd be paying almost $900 cdn (~$700 U.S.) for a new doepfer a-100lcb!!! i need a 'base' case for my space restrictions. are there any other alternatives? that $900 is almost 1/4 the price of a buchla easel and doesn't even make a sound. unless i drop it. i think doepfer can drop the 'LC' from that catalogue number.

speaking of which, have cases become insanely expensive!? i'd be paying almost $900 cdn (~$700 U.S.) for a new doepfer a-100lcb!!! i need a 'base' case for my space restrictions. are there any other alternatives? that $900 is almost 1/4 the price of a buchla easel and doesn't even make a sound. unless i drop it. i think doepfer can drop the 'LC' from that catalogue number.
-- FatBerg

The Tip Top Mantis case (same size) is ~560$ at Nightlife Electronic / Moog Audio.

[Nightlife] (https://nightlife-electronics.com/collections/cases-power/products/tiptop-audio-mantis)
[Moog] (https://moogaudio.com/products/tiptop-mantis-2x104hp-eurorack-case-blue-usa)

thanks for the tip! i was hoping to stack my doepfer 9u/84hp on top of the base. i may just have enough width for 104hp and the 9u is presently sitting on an empty neutron box so this may work and save me $150

I think the Mantis is probably the best "starter case" at present. It has loads of current reserve from a tried and true P/S design (taken from the uZeus), it's portable while having ample module space, and it's got a really snazzy method for adding a second Mantis. Tiptop even offers a gig bag sized for it.

i hear you, my first case was actually a tiptop happy ending. and i should have said 'save me $250' above - maybe the price of a buchla module!? so that makes a lot of sense and i don't mind giving tiptop some more money if they deliver on these buchla modules.

I think the Mantis is probably the best "starter case" at present. It has loads of current reserve from a tried and true P/S design (taken from the uZeus), it's portable while having ample module space, and it's got a really snazzy method for adding a second Mantis. Tiptop even offers a gig bag sized for it.
-- Lugia

I think the mantis power supply is based on the tiptop zeus studio bus - not the uZeus - from what I heard the uZeus can be quite noisy - and the mantis is really quiet - no ripple up to video rates (MHz) as opposed to mere KHz for audio

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

got the 'now shipping' newsletter. see modulargrid news for further info. yahoo!

and just to add bravo to tiptop for keeping to their prices! i had my doubts but they proved me wrong.

Could someone please let me know when they receive their pre-order. I was told around February 1st by a canadian vendor. Thanks.

Hi FatBerg,

The 258t is in Germany to be expected/estimated to be available around mid March 2022, accordingly to the website of my nearby dealer and the 281t supposed to be mid March 2022 as well but that has been moved up to mid June 2022 :-( So looks like you are much better off in Canada ;-)

For the other modules there is no estimated date yet.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks for the reply - that doesn't sound too promising! I will contact my vendor next week for an update. The sequential voltage source, 245t, is already slated for winter/spring 2022!?

and i almost forgot, thanks for your reports!

Hi Fatberg,

No news here about the 245t, so let's see. Please let us know the status of your vendor, I hope they have better news than mine :-)

You are welcome and kind regards, Garfield.

Hello, good news. I received a shipping notice from Nightlife Electronics in Canada stating the 2 buchla modules have shipped and are arriving next week. Hurrah ...

Hello, good news. I received a shipping notice from Nightlife Electronics in Canada stating the 2 buchla modules have shipped and are arriving next week. Hurrah ...
-- FatBerg

And right on time, too! Tiptop must have some amazing shipping-fu to get all the components they typically need, given the general state of shipping right now. I'll venture a guess that the "Winter/Spring 2022" ones will drop around March/April, then the last ones just in time for summer. And remember, that's just the initial six modules; I was told that they're working out which modules to add to the line after these, and hopefully we'll see some of that before the holidays.

Hi Fatberg,

No way! You are making me jealous, while I have to wait till at least March, you let us know next week how these modules are ;-)

I have had it, I am going to move to Canada, period.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I will let you know when they arrive. I'm looking forward to a Garfield tiptop/buchla report! I don't know about living in Canada, I was in the market for a buchla easel command and the $3000 U.S price became $4700 Cdn after exchange and taxes so i just couldn't justify it! I've been making do with the Arturia software easel and the doepfer LPGs, A-149-1/2, uFold, Springray, Rampage etc for euro so I'm very grateful for this affordable option. I've been watching the Barton videos on youtube demo-ing the new tiptop buchla modules. The next pair of voltage sequence/processing modules look to be very interesting. And as Lugia said, there may yet be plenty more modules to come so my new 6u 168hp case is already running out of space!

Nightlife-electronics is shipping per above; I received my 258t this morning.
I'll say the build quality is nice! Can't wait to try it.
(also, Hello from Canada, I've been lurking but couldn't resist bragging about having this already :)

Hi zzJKzz,

Oh come on! You got that module already? You make me very jealous ;-)

Just kidding, enjoy the module while we are waiting here in Europe for it to become available. Most likely after many years when you consider to sell it on the 2nd hand market, we might be able to start buying it here ;-)

Have fun with it and kind regards, Garfield.

EscapefromNoise.com in Stockholm, Sweden have the modules (the dual osc might have run out of stock now) and the service from them has been the best. Got the 258t yesterday and it’s instant love. Ordered the 281t straight away.

Ni Noctopolis,

Wow, that's great that they have the 281t currently on stock! (Just seen on their website) However without the Euro currency, losing money on the currency exchange and the rather high prices in Sweden, I will consider this as a plan B, if let's say by the end of this year the modules are still not available in Germany ;-)

Thanks for putting this to our attention though, it's good to know it has arrived in Europe too, so there is still hope for us :-D
Have fun with your 258t and kind regards, Garfield.

Ni Noctopolis,

Wow, that's great that they have the 281t currently on stock! (Just seen on their website) However without the Euro currency, losing money on the currency exchange and the rather high prices in Sweden, I will consider this as a plan B, if let's say by the end of this year the modules are still not available in Germany ;-)

Thanks for putting this to our attention though, it's good to know it has arrived in Europe too, so there is still hope for us :-D
Have fun with your 258t and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

hey Garfield - did you try elevatorsound.eu - opened recently in Spain - they had some that had not been pre-ordered available - for at least a few days after the pre-orders were sent out and almost everywhere else sold out!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hey Jim,

I haven't heard from Elevator Sound before, so I directly checked it out but em... elevatorsound.eu doesn't seem to exist. I found elevatorsound.com a synthesizer shop that's also called Elevator Sound so I guess it's the same one ;-) They are located in Bristol, UK though, which is a bit of a pity because of Brexit and import duties.

They have a few module brands that are rather unknown here in Germany, so I have bookmarked them, thank you very much for pointing them out to me. Kind regards, Garfield.

@GarfieldModular

same shop they opened a branch in spain recently to get round brexit
I'll have a look and post the url for you!

here it is: https://eu.elevatorsound.com/

Thanks Jim!

Arrived yesterday evening! Now the fun begins ....

Thanks Jim!
-- GarfieldModular

@FatBerg: Oh yes!

And after weeks or months when you emotionally cooled down a bit, please share with us your experiences ;-)

Enjoy and kind regards, Garfield.

@FatBerg: Oh yes!

And after weeks or months when you emotionally cooled down a bit, please share with us your experiences ;-)
-- GarfieldModular

You realize, of course, that he's now very far down the Buchla Hole...we might never hear from him again!