So after years of being on the fence I’ve decided to dive into eurorack. I have an idea that I feel like is mostly fleshed out but I’m worried I might be over looking Something basic yet crucial. So far I have purchased a niftycase, maths and rings from mi. I want to add plaits, ripples, shades, veils, and tides to fill up the rack. My goal is to have something that is versatile that I can explore sound with. Any opinions and advice would be great!

I went with the Mother 32 for my first semi modular piece. It's basic, but checked all the boxes I was looking for.. subtractive sound, filter, eg, lfo, mutl, vc mixer, etc, etc.... look at the DFAM if you want something that cannot be replicated with other modules.

So after years of being on the fence I’ve decided to dive into eurorack. I have an idea that I feel like is mostly fleshed out but I’m worried I might be over looking Something basic yet crucial. So far I have purchased a niftycase, maths and rings from mi. I want to add plaits, ripples, shades, veils, and tides to fill up the rack. My goal is to have something that is versatile that I can explore sound with. Any opinions and advice would be great!
-- Eros222

You're not going be able to be very 'versatile' with only 84HP and especially if you already have over 1/4 of that occupied with Maths and Rings...both great modules but with only 84HP you will need to consider using much smaller modules that pack in a lot of flexibility...for example Disting EX, Ornament & Crime, FX Aid,

I think the first big recommendation you'll get from most will be to consider a bigger rack. I have the Rackbrute 6U and a Rackbrute 3U...but I use them in conjunction with other synths (6U with my Hydrasynth Desktop and the 3U with my Minibrute 2)...I can also use the 3U and 6U together (which is the swap/mix and match flexibility I wanted and planned for).

What are planning to output to? DAW, speakers directly? That will have some influence on what you add to your build as well and others on the forum will be much better at providing recommendations overall than I can...just be prepared for the "you're gonna need a bigger rack" discussion. Also, if you haven't already...you should build the rack and post it here in your thread.

JB

I definitely agree on the "larger case" suggestion. Also, don't expect to get much done with a Maths and a Rings, as there's not really a proper "generator" in that signal path. You can force the Rings into self-oscillation, but then it's a PITA to control. Conversely, you could try clocking the Maths up into the audio range...if there was an LFO that could serve as a clock in the first place.

You could proceed into a second Cre8 skiff by joining it to the first with their case coupler...but then you've got an issue in that you've got two sets of the case's I/Os, and you really only want one. Nor can you interconnect the busses from one case to the other without wasting functional space in both. Sure, they've got good current specs...but you'll be better off building that build "that is versatile that I can explore sound with" in a case that has space for that to happen.

One other suggestion: https://vcvrack.com/ This is a link to VCV's site, and what VCV is is a "Eurorack emulator". This will let you do a lot of exploring (up to the limit that your computer can handle) and getting used to what proper synths should have to let them do what they're capable of. And it's FREE, plus later you can upgrade to a paid version that includes a VST plug to use VCV directly within your DAW.

Thanks for the replies y’all, much appreciated. lol I’ve had a feeling that 84hp would not be nearly enough. Definitely switching to a case I can “grow into”. I probably should have mentioned that I have a mother 32, a few Roland boutiques (ju06a,sh01a,tb03,tr08,tr09), ms20, and a keystep pro. I also don’t use a DAW ( I use an old Mackie mixer) so it’s going to speakers directly. Don’t know if that bit of info is more helpful.

Thanks for the replies y’all, much appreciated. lol I’ve had a feeling that 84hp would not be nearly enough. Definitely switching to a case I can “grow into”.
-- Eros222

Generally, the rule of thumb on first cabs is that you should set up for a MUCH BIGGER build than you think you'll need...because when you're starting out, it's actually more likely to be too small. So if you thought that 1 x 84 was enough, the 2 x 104 of a Mantis is probably what you should be using. Then, if you think the resulting build is just too much, you can more easily pare the module complement BACK. And this tends to be an easier task than ripping it all down to do different subsequent 1 x 84 builds to get things right.

This whole interest started with me wanting a fun new thing to learn and could communicate with my other gear which is why the niftycase is so appealing, but realistically I know it’s going to be a new obsession. Thanks for the case recommendation Lugia and the sound advice! Before I get any further and make another silly purchase is there any utilities or must haves to be aware of?

Hi,
I’d add one or two mults, a “rack internal” mixer or two (Doepfer mini stereo a-138s or Intellijel mixup for instance) and maybe some straightforward doepfer adsr or something like that. The MI modules are often very versatile in the env/vca field but I like to have a few smaller simple dedicated of these as well.
I’m all for the niftycase and its very functional midi/cv functions. I started out (for the second time) with Rackbrute 6U and a 4ms pod but I’m thinking of getting a niftycase too for more midi/cv possibilities.
If you’re still into keeping this relatively small I’d recommend MI Marbles for semi random sequencing and pattern creation. Marbles is just great, so musical and a real hub in my setup.

(Edit: removed unnecessary SQ-1 recommendation since you already have the Keystep :-) . )

Thanks Noctopolis, I’ve been meaning to hop on here for recommendations for utilities and you actually answered a question I had been thinking about as far as the mults go. I took the whole go bigger with the case advice to heart and snagged a relatively affordable 7u Intellijel performance case and I’m glad I did, but I still have my eye on getting a niftycase in the future. I’m only able to buy a module once every paycheck, would you prioritize a mixer over let’s say vcas? So far I have mi rings, clouds, ears, and a maths.

Yeah, I try to practice the same, module-after-paycheck, although I cheat a bit with cheap used utilities.
Tricky question! To me the separate VCas are needed as soon as a traditional vco shows up in the rack. And although I use an external mixer for stereo out I quickly found I needed mixer modules as soon as I had more than two sound sources going. I like being able to pan mono voices and/or have a few stereo possibilities as well (esp with Rings, Clouds, Beads…). The Intellijel has stereo out, right? (First time around I just had the niftycase and its weakness is the mono out so I had an in-rack stereo mixer right away).
Maybe a simple dual vca and a little mixer at the same time as soon as you decide on another sound source in the rack? If /when you need to upgrade later they’ll probably still be useful utilities.
But – this is just my way of reasoning, related to how I make my music. There’s no absolute truth :-D

another alternative to the vca/mixer conundrum is a quad cascading vca - kill 2 birds with one stone - veils is very good, for example

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Sorry for my absence/late reply. I’ve been trying to curb my modular appetite by staying offline lol. I actually purchased a veils a while back and it’s awesome. I really do appreciate everyone’s suggestions it was really helpful for me as someone not knowing anything really about this world. I have a fun little set up that I’m really happy with made of mostly mutable modules. I was wanting to explore some of the alternative firmware that’s out there for mainly clouds and stages but I’m afraid I’m going to fuck something up. Is this fear valid or should I just go through with it?

I’m afraid I’m going to fuck something up. Is this fear valid or should I just go through with it?
-- Eros222

Just do it. I recently gave the rings alternate firmware a go and it's a gamechanger. Adds elements, as well as a whole bunch of other stuff.

It does lower the sample rate just a hair, but it doesn't bother me as it's not very noticeable.

And of course, a tiny drop in that sample rate might just yield a musical benefit...a touch of "crunch" that doesn't screw up the signal but adds a bit of "character" instead. Sort of like why an older Yamaha SPX90 sounds so musical, even with its lower sampling rate and bandwidth limits.

Ah ... brings back memories of when I started in ... "84 HP is going to be plenty!" Such innocent times. The best financial advice you can give someone getting into euro is probably "don't do it!"

Glad the rack is working out though. It does become an obsession, and I often wish I could go back to when I started to emphasize a few things, most of which has already been said and some of which it sounds like you're beyond at this point, but just to add my version of agreement(s):

• Don't waste money on a fancy case, unless you need to be mobile and are going to gig or something. All you need are rails, something to mount them on, and a way to have busboards behind the units. I paid like $400 for a "custom" 2x 84HP case with a shitty PSU. Waste of money.
  • Don't skimp on space itself, though -- if you think you need 104 HP, get 3 rows of 104 HP. A Synthrotek Cheeks of Steel isn't a bad place to start. You'll thank yourself later.
  • Don't skimp on power. Get an m/15 from Trogotronic with 3 busboards right out the gate. It's actually a very competitively priced PSU and it'll take you a while to catch up with all the power it offers.
  • Get a Mordax DATA. I almost didn't, but so glad I did - it is such a useful tool in terms of really getting your head around what the modules are doing, if you're a visual learner -- especially EGs and the like. Absolutely worth it just for the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and voltage monitors, but it has VCOs and clocks and stuff too. Can't go wrong.

Beyond that, the usual stuff that's easy to forget or not see the value of: offsets and attenuators, inverters and polarizers, mixers (both DC and AC), VCAs, and lots of mults.

+1 on that Trogotronic P/S. It might be spendy, but it's capable of powering a HUGE system...or a small one with very little load and, ergo, little heat due to the load vs. capacity. You could easily power several rows of 104 hp with that!

Peter Blasser's Fourses and Sprott, your welcome.