I'd like to be able to record/sample something that I'm playing from my modular and then mangle it up...I'm not quite sure if I understand the scope of Data Bender but I'm guessing I probably need a separate sample module from Data Bender to do the actual record/sample and then that would play through Data Bender? or can Data Bender actually record a bit of audio and subsequently mangle it up?

I have a Disting MK4 which I know can "hold" samples to play but I'm not sure about the real time recording aspect. So if I'm messing around and have a really cool patch going, I'd like to be able to record/sample that and then mangle it up with something like Data Bender in real time...

Maybe there is an all in one module that can do something like this? or different modules to consider all together?

JB

At some point when I feel I can afford it I'll probably get Make Noise Morphagene, you can record stuff into it and mangle.

The Freeze Button on Clouds lets you scroll through the position of the grains its playing.

Make Noise Mimeophon lets you lock (Hold) a loop and move through the Delay knob settings which if Clocked you can use fragments of loops for interesting parts.

I quite fancy a 2hp Loop Sound On Sound Looper, or 2! They look interesting for recording stuff in and even 2x of them for sorta fake stereo is waaaay cheaper than a Morphagene. But obviously lots different

Part of me is thinking about getting an iPad and a Looper App too as overall cost is better than modules when you think what else you can do with an iPad.

I'm sure someone will know more about the Data bender.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I heard some crazy things about Assimil8or but never seen nor touched one in real life ;)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/rossum-electro-music-assimil8or

I've found Data Bender to be more of an effect or "happy accident" machine. You can freeze the buffer and sort of navigate around it, but it's a little imprecise for honing in on specific parts of the buffer in real-time. When I've tried this, my input is already so mangled and stuttering that I wouldn't classify it as a looper, but I'm sure others have been able to use that feature more effectively. I use the 4ms Dual Looping Delay for the real-time sampling/looping thing. It's pretty much perfect for that. I'm sure there are other options that require less hp for looping, but the interface and ergonomics of the DLD are great.

Squid Salmple might be the most thought out real-time sampler in Euro that's out there. The flexibility keep me loving it. It has a 11.5-12 sec record buffer size, but these can be loaded in banks of 8 sounds. In theory, you can set the channels up to chain-record, chain reference, etc. It's really wild.

1010 Music's BitBox series can record in sync with clock. But as far as mangling, you might want to read the manual to see if there's enough real time control (via CV) for your liking.

I've found Data Bender to be more of an effect or "happy accident" machine. You can freeze the buffer and sort of navigate around it, but it's a little imprecise for honing in on specific parts of the buffer in real-time. When I've tried this, my input is already so mangled and stuttering that I wouldn't classify it as a looper, but I'm sure others have been able to use that feature more effectively. I use the 4ms Dual Looping Delay for the real-time sampling/looping thing. It's pretty much perfect for that. I'm sure there are other options that require less hp for looping, but the interface and ergonomics of the DLD are great.
-- farkas

With DLD, could I say for example, have one of the inputs be say from a radio and I could capture 4 or 5 seconds of a broadcast and then loop that? then I would want to 'mangle' that looping sample in certain ways...and then eventually maybe go back to the original once or twice...I probably need a different module to do the 'mangling' I'm assuming?

JB

I heard some crazy things about Assimil8or but never seen nor touched one in real life ;)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/rossum-electro-music-assimil8or

-- zuggamasta

Looks really sweet, thanks for the reference...its too big for what I can use in my setup but an interesting feature read for sure!

JB

At some point when I feel I can afford it I'll probably get Make Noise Morphagene, you can record stuff into it and mangle.

The Freeze Button on Clouds lets you scroll through the position of the grains its playing.

Make Noise Mimeophon lets you lock (Hold) a loop and move through the Delay knob settings which if Clocked you can use fragments of loops for interesting parts.

I quite fancy a 2hp Loop Sound On Sound Looper, or 2! They look interesting for recording stuff in and even 2x of them for sorta fake stereo is waaaay cheaper than a Morphagene. But obviously lots different

Part of me is thinking about getting an iPad and a Looper App too as overall cost is better than modules when you think what else you can do with an iPad.

I'm sure someone will know more about the Data bender.
-- wishbonebrewery

@wishbonebrewery I have been looking at Morphogene too...20HP is the biggest size I could go for and its right at 20HP. The iPad idea is interesting...do you know of any apps offhand? I have an iPad which I was going to initially try to use for drums...using Arturia Beatstep Pro and their iPad app iSpark...I couldn't get it to work right then I think my Korg interface went bad so I haven't tried further.

JB

Loopy Pro for iOS has just been released and looks very impressive. There are detailed threads on the Audiobus forum.

With DLD, could I say for example, have one of the inputs be say from a radio and I could capture 4 or 5 seconds of a broadcast and then loop that? then I would want to 'mangle' that looping sample in certain ways...and then eventually maybe go back to the original once or twice...I probably need a different module to do the 'mangling' I'm assuming?

-- jb61264

Yes, that's one of the things DLD could do. Data Bender would probably be your mangler, but with DLD you have two delay lines so you can do some cool stuff. Check out some of the demos. DivKid has a good one from a few years back.

Morphagene and Data Bender are getting most of my attention for this at the moment.

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

I like Squid Salmple a lot for sampling and mangling plus it has 8 channels and filter options. Sample time is short but long enough for basic stuff and editing clips is easy. For more esoteric stuff, I use Morphagene. The ultimate Eurorack sampler is the Rossum Assimil8or but it’s a very expensive module.

this user has left ModularGrid

I'm not quite sure if I understand the scope of Data Bender but I'm guessing I probably need a separate sample module from Data Bender to do the actual record/sample and then that would play through Data Bender? or can Data Bender actually record a bit of audio and subsequently mangle it up?

Data Bender is a circuit bent digital audio buffer. It is inspired by the ways in which audio equipment can fail. The sounds of skipping CDs, software bugs, and defective tape machine playback are all accessible. The 96kHz, 24-bit audio buffer can hold over a minute of stereo audio, providing a sonic canvas capable of infinite surprises and discovery.